Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM

129 posts, read 246,896 times

Advertisements

Few things - Noticed the ShopKo is finally fixing up there place. Sign was changed today and store front was painted. Anyone know if the whole store inside and out is being fixed up? Heard from an employee at Best Buy that the are remodeling the inside of their store in the coming weeks to more reflect the current models. They already started taking down some of the high shelving. Also heard a rummer that Best Buy is looking to build or move to a new location in another year. That would be nice. Lastly. anyone know when BB&B is opening and if they have another tenant for the space in between them and BWW? It's starting to take shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,114,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro161 View Post
Few things - Noticed the ShopKo is finally fixing up there place. Sign was changed today and store front was painted. Anyone know if the whole store inside and out is being fixed up? Heard from an employee at Best Buy that the are remodeling the inside of their store in the coming weeks to more reflect the current models. They already started taking down some of the high shelving. Also heard a rummer that Best Buy is looking to build or move to a new location in another year. That would be nice. Lastly. anyone know when BB&B is opening and if they have another tenant for the space in between them and BWW? It's starting to take shape.
Yes, that space is to become Home Choice. I don't know much about them, but there is a few in the Twin Cities area and they sell discounted houseware related items including computers. I was up in Duluth over the weekend and saw the ShopKo sign and painting, I've been wondering for a long time if the Duluth store will get the new look. Other than these things, It is pretty lame for retail in Duluth right now-a lot of things on the drawing boards over the last 4 years, but no construction.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,433,478 times
Bed Bath and Beyond will open in late August or early September. Home Choice should open around the same time.

Shopko was suppose to have a major remodel done in 2009 but due to the economy it was pushed back until now. It should be a fairly large remodel that takes place being their new stores are completely different and all of the marketing has changed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Best Buy moved down the road in the new development next to Sam's Club. They would be a major tenant that would draw a lot of other tenants to the development. A.k.a the perfect tenant. I know that that development is moving forward and will be called "Grindstone River Plaza" and will include 280,000 square feet of retail.

Still hearing that Panera Bread is planning on opening somewhere on Miller Trunk Highway.

Salon Centric will be opening it's first northern Minnesota location in the former UNICEL space on Central Entrance.

e

Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Bed Bath and Beyond will open in late August or early September. Home Choice should open around the same time.

Shopko was suppose to have a major remodel done in 2009 but due to the economy it was pushed back until now. It should be a fairly large remodel that takes place being their new stores are completely different and all of the marketing has changed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Best Buy moved down the road in the new development next to Sam's Club. They would be a major tenant that would draw a lot of other tenants to the development. A.k.a the perfect tenant. I know that that development is moving forward and will be called "Grindstone River Plaza" and will include 280,000 square feet of retail.

Still hearing that Panera Bread is planning on opening somewhere on Miller Trunk Highway.

Salon Centric will be opening it's first northern Minnesota location in the former UNICEL space on Central Entrance.

e
Where did you hear about the Sam's Club development? I haven't seen anything in the Tribune, Business North or any other news source. Who is developing/designing it and is there a website? Will this be the new replacement for Greendale?. Yes, Panera should have came here 10 years ago along with Chipotle and Noodles&Co.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 AM

I just did a search on Grindstone River Plaza. It's not in Duluth or Hermantown, it's in Hinckley!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM

324 posts, read 710,366 times
My next move, job related, is to Minnesota. We've picked out a nice farm outside of Duluth up in the Iron Range. Anyone from there?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 AM

Grindstone River Plaza is located in Hermantown actually. Google "Grindstone River Plaza Hermantown MN" and you will find it. It is being developed by Steiner Development and marketed by Lisa Diehl.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Grindstone River Plaza is located in Hermantown actually. Google "Grindstone River Plaza Hermantown MN" and you will find it. It is being developed by Steiner Development and marketed by Lisa Diehl.
I hope if it does get built that it will have tenants that are new to the area. Existing stores seem to move around a lot and many new stores that do come are ones that are not on the wish list for many Duluth area residents. But Best Buy have been building a lot of larger stores and moving from their existing ones in the Cities and if they do locate in the Sam's Club development that will be a great opportunity for a new store at Burning Tree Plaza! I also hope that the Kmart/Savers building will be demolished and redeveloped soon-it brings down the whole mall area!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 AM

So it would seem to someone who doesn't pay much attention to Duluth's retail scene that basically overnight a Home Choice and Bed Bath & Beyond store popped up! If you happen to drive the former Gander Mountain space it appears as if both stores are now finished, at least the outside. A lot of work was done in the past week, now the race is on to finish the interiors.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM

I looked at the Lisa Diehl website and saw some info on that Hermantown development. It is not Grindstone River Plaza, it is yet unnamed but it mentions a building with 9 big box stores and several outlots and restaurant/small store buildings. I wonder if it is just a plan or if it will actually be built! The Greendale and the site at LaVaque and 53 looked promising, but that was 3 years ago and nothing has happened at either site. It is like that everywhere right now, not just in Duluth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth