Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM

36 posts, read 94,068 times

Advertisements

I agree. The K-Mart by the mall is a dump and nobody shops there. It would be wonderful if that store closed and something new took its place. I was in Fargo over the holidays and I am always amazed at the new developments popping up all over the city. It truly is amazing how Fargo was smaller than Duluth not that many years ago and now has a population of about 105,000. Duluth needs to get the ball rolling with bringing in new development and new stores that don't look like they are from the 1970's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrockman View Post
I agree. The K-Mart by the mall is a dump and nobody shops there. It would be wonderful if that store closed and something new took its place. I was in Fargo over the holidays and I am always amazed at the new developments popping up all over the city. It truly is amazing how Fargo was smaller than Duluth not that many years ago and now has a population of about 105,000. Duluth needs to get the ball rolling with bringing in new development and new stores that don't look like they are from the 1970's.
It's hard to justify building anything when a city has just (after decades) stabilized it's population (after years of massive loss). People moved to (and stayed in) Fargo because there are jobs there. There is a sense of belonging. Duluth has no major employer other than the Hospitals and United Health and the Univeristies. Other than that, it's all unskilled menial jobs that are hoarded by College students, or lifers. Duluth needs to get some more attractive employers that can put thousands of people back to work.

Duluth keeps losing it's students to the Twin Cities because that's where they get employed after school. In Fargo, more of their students are retained, and many more people have moved from smaller cities in ND to Fargo for work.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,011 times
Our wish has come true-the mall K-mart is closing!!! Only question is what will take it's place?!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,449,617 times
My Christmas wish has come true! Haha. The only problem is people need to remember that K-Mart's space is directly connected to Savers so it would be kind of hard to do some extensive work with the site. However, there is always a chance that Saver's could move for a bit and relocate in a new development when it's built.

I actually know the person who is handling the Duluth account for K-Mart's site. He is very interested in a list of what people would like to locate in their space. Post your ideas!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 AM

9 posts, read 20,569 times
Default Kmart Area

I thinnk is also a good thing that Kmart is closing. That area has a ton of potential. I feel the whole area can be redeveloped. The area of the lot near Bridgemans couls also be built on. A decent strip mall with numerous stores would be a great addition. Stores such as Panera Bread, Trader Joes and others would be awesome. Maybe even a Chipotle for the outlot close by. Anything that is built there should do good as it a very high visilibilty area and lots of traffic with the mall and Maple Grove Rd!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
According to Brainerd Dispatch:

"Chipotle Mexican Grill, with its gourmet burritos and tacos, has been making the mouth-to-ear rounds in the lakes area recently. A number of people reported hearing the restaurant was considering opening in the lakes area.

A representative for Chipotle was contacted to determine if there was any truth to the chatter. The representative acknowledged Chipotle was pitched to take a restaurant pad i...
n the strip center planned with the Costco development in Baxter and said the lakes area is on its radar.

“Some day we’ll be there, but we have to open in Duluth first and we’re not there yet,” the representative reported. For the good news for those who are hoping Chipotle does add the Brainerd lakes area to its location list, they are reportedly currently looking in Duluth."

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
CVS is indeed coming to Duluth. A bid was submitted last week for a 13,600 square foot store. The location? Surprisingly this is for the West End. CVS will be building its first location in Duluth across from Walgreen's on 40th and Grand. Everyone remember that article about the new little retail development they are building on that lower block that currently includes the new NAPA store? Well this is the next store. They will be tearing down the ICO station and building the CVS location right on the corner. Sounds like a pretty intense battle is going to start between CVS and Walgreens in Duluth. But hey! The new CVS store will really clean up that last little malnourished part of that corner.
That is NOT the WEST END. That is WEST DULUTH. I'm sorry, but I get really angry when people get them confused with each other.

"West End" (Lincoln Park) turns into West Duluth at the railroad tracks above Grand Ave. (That's also where or around where 3rd St W becomes Grand Ave).

Also, Walgeens is on 46th and Grand, not 40th and Grand. 40th and Grand is home to the building that formerly housed Nor-Floors and Master Bakery Outlet.

I don't think two pharmacies can compete in such proximity. That borders on the ridiculous, almost like Duluth's only two Indian restaurants (at the time) being within a block of each other.

What I wonder: will a person who finds a need to go to both Walgreens and CVS on the same trip drive to both destinations? If they are Duluthian, they might.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
My Christmas wish has come true! Haha. The only problem is people need to remember that K-Mart's space is directly connected to Savers so it would be kind of hard to do some extensive work with the site. However, there is always a chance that Saver's could move for a bit and relocate in a new development when it's built.

I actually know the person who is handling the Duluth account for K-Mart's site. He is very interested in a list of what people would like to locate in their space. Post your ideas!
I think Savers should move to West Duluth or Superior and that entire area demolished for quality stores that are not in the Duluth market, unless Sears could build a new store there so an upscale department store can take it's place at the mall.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM

I just noticed that Country Kitchen by Spirit Mountain is gone, Little Store is going to build a new store there.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,449,617 times
I for sure know where West Duluth is being I have lived in Duluth my entire life. Sorry for mistakenly calling "West Duluth" the "West End," when talking about retail or housing in the city the city is usually split into four quadrants (West End, East End, Downtown, and Miller Hill), so I accidentally included West Duluth in the West End quadrant! Sorry!

Usually it doesn't really matter where a CVS locates compared to the proximity of a Walgreens. It will always survive. Two reasons. CVS is such a large company that they will do anything to keep their stores open, even if they only making a little money. That little money is money that is NOT spent at Walgreens. But actually if you look all across the country you'll see that Walgreens and CVS build right next to each other quite often. It's a business tactic that works great for each other and builds business for each other. What ever one doesn't have, someone can run across the street and get at the other. But then again Duluth continues to be a little different than the norm, but hopefully we won't have a problem!

I had actually already suggested that Sears vacate from the mall and build a new store or a "Sears Grand" on the old Kmart/Savers space. But that was shot down because Sears now is trying to stay in malls. Apparently they are hoping to something with the space soon in regards to renovations. And I agree, Savers should move to West Duluth.

Sounds like that Proctor retailer is going to be something quite great for the city. Having read a few things about it, I am thinking it will be a store along the lines of Mills Fleet Farm being they have been wanting to expand Northward for years now. Anyone heard anything?

And that's great that you found that out! I was just driving past there a few weeks ago and saw them tearing it down and wondered what was happening! That will be great for that Little Store, it was looking a little drab and run down. Makes me wonder though, Country Kitchen officially has no presence in the Duluth area. I wonder if this is permanent?

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and is having a great New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth