Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times

Advertisements

I was in Duluth yesterday and wanted to go to Panera since I used to go to the ones in St. Cloud and Elk River and liked them. I was so very disappointed with my experience at the Duluth Panera, starting with the location and parking. Geez, how many buildings can be crammed into such a small area with very inadequate parking and still be considered functional? What a mess!!! This is not just my opinion either.

We did manage to eat in there and I was so let down by the food. Like I said I've been to other Panera stores and liked them but since it has been a while for me I evidently have outgrown Panera and saw it as the overpriced, not-very-healthy food that it is. I couldn't even finish my soup because it was so salty. I had an almond chicken salad sandwich which didn't have any almonds or even the taste of almonds plus it was skimpy on the salad itself.

The menu is confusing regarding their You-Pick-Two menu which sounds good in theory but DOESN'T save you anything although they'd like you to think it does. The order-taker tried to explain it but when she rang it up it was only .08 cents cheaper than ordering the items I ordered separately. What?? It just didn't make sense and I am smart enough to follow along with menus and numbers. Hey Panera, don't offer something that is really nothing!! Just give a price and stop trying to be too creative with your menu "deals".

Anyway, I was going to take home some bread and bakery treats but frankly it just wasn't worth the hassle to get back in line to purchase those items. The way this Panera is set up is not customer friendly, in my opinion. My bubble was busted...bummer, but oh well.

P.S. Oh, and how could I forget the mother changing her baby's dirty diaper on the floor in front of the patrons as we walked in. YUK!! There are restrooms to do that in and should not be allowed to do it where people are eating!!!! I do admit, my husband and I should have taken that as a sign right then to turn around and leave. Our mistake!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by geebabe; 03-26-2014 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
P.S. Oh, and how could I forget the mother changing her baby's dirty diaper on the floor in front of the patrons as we walked in. YUK!! There are restrooms to do that in and should not be allowed to do it where people are eating!!!! I do admit, my husband and I should have taken that as a sign right then to turn around and leave. Our mistake!!!!!!!!!
I don't see how this has anything to do with the quality of the restaurant, more like the quality of the restaurant's customers. As for your other complaints, some of them are direct results of how incredibly busy they have been. No doubt, parking is poor right now, but will surely ease up as the excitement drops to normal levels.

As for food quality, it seems to be inline or better than what I have experienced at other Paneras. I suppose I take it for what it is, a Panera Bread. It's a popular chain with food that can be unhealthy if you don't pick carefully. It's really the same story with Noodles and Company, Chipotle and many other chains. It's not a destination restaurant, it's a "well, we're already at the mall area, shall we eat at the food court, Wendys or {insert popular chain here}." restaurant.

Regardless, I'm happy to see them here. It's a nice looking addition to the mall area, I only wish more chains would have the guts to locate closer to the core city. There is a large population of downtown workers (soon to be larger) that would love to have access to more familiar options.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,914 times
Panera Bread is doing extremely well in Duluth. It surprises me that West Duluth is on the list for the next restaurant. They also mentioned wanting to open a restaurant over in the Woodland Avenue area. This area having FOUR Panera Bread locations really would surprise. I don't think I've ever seen that many in this confined of a metropolitan area. But hey! Duluth doesn't fit the norms! Plus if they are already trucking the necessary products up here, it probably doesn't hurt to make every single buck they can! I'll welcome ANY Panera Bread location.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Panera Bread is doing extremely well in Duluth. It surprises me that West Duluth is on the list for the next restaurant. They also mentioned wanting to open a restaurant over in the Woodland Avenue area. This area having FOUR Panera Bread locations really would surprise. I don't think I've ever seen that many in this confined of a metropolitan area. But hey! Duluth doesn't fit the norms! Plus if they are already trucking the necessary products up here, it probably doesn't hurt to make every single buck they can! I'll welcome ANY Panera Bread location.
"Doing extremely well" stands to reason...they JUST opened this month. I have no doubt they will continue to do well, but I won't go back. Yes, I know, they don't give a rat's azz!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
I don't see how this has anything to do with the quality of the restaurant, more like the quality of the restaurant's customers. As for your other complaints, some of them are direct results of how incredibly busy they have been. No doubt, parking is poor right now, but will surely ease up as the excitement drops to normal levels.
True enough, but an employee who walks the floor should have told the customer to change her baby's diaper in the restroom. Yes, there was someone walking the floor, cleaning tables, etc., as well there should be.

I did put my complaints in a survey on Panera's website. And now that is over...

Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,914 times
Me saying that Panera Bread is doing extremely well is not an understatement or something to be contributed solely to their opening hype. They have hit sales above their expected opening numbers and traffic counts above the expected and that in fact makes them a top performing store. In my mind there is no doubt that they will continue to do extremely well, contrary to those who come forth and try to bring out the negativities in their business. Those who think they won't do well...look at Noodles & Company in Duluth, they've been open for over a year now and are still ranked as one of the best performing stores in the country.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Me saying that Panera Bread is doing extremely well is not an understatement or something to be contributed solely to their opening hype. They have hit sales above their expected opening numbers and traffic counts above the expected and that in fact makes them a top performing store. In my mind there is no doubt that they will continue to do extremely well, contrary to those who come forth and try to bring out the negativities in their business. Those who think they won't do well...look at Noodles & Company in Duluth, they've been open for over a year now and are still ranked as one of the best performing stores in the country.

UH, YUP...like I said earlier: "I have no doubt they will continue to do well".

In other words, what's your point? That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
Quote:

Be gone, troll.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:

You can never say anything negative related to Duluth without being attacked for it, whether they read everything you say or not. I completely understood what your point was.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rong1977 View Post
Be gone, troll.
You're a riot!! ONE post on CD (as THAT username anyway...) and that's what you have to say? Be gone, troll, YOURSELF.

I assure you I don't waste my time trolling and I've already wasted enough time responding to you, "Rong1977".

Last edited by geebabe; 03-28-2014 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth