Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

If I had the resources to do so, to escape the desert heat in summer, my top choice for a 2nd home, a cool getaway would be Duluth!

And how many others in the SW or Deep South or FL, if they had the resources, would do likewise?

Has Duluth made any attempts to attract, what would you call them, Southbirds/Heatbirds (Snow birds go to FL or AZ for 3-4 months in the winter) to summer up there? Or, are there too many Nimby's up there, who don't want to clutter their lake front with high rise condo's for this crowd?

Anyone know people who are, increasingly, doing this, any records of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

335 posts, read 329,676 times
Duluth is cooler in summer than Phoenix or Orlando or Biloxi, yes. But I'm curious if you've been to Duluth or just picked it off the map because it is so far north and known for it's Siberian cold winters?

Do you know about how such winters brutally compromise unoccupied home condition?
And you do know about the bugs, right? If you thought you'd be escaping those southern mosquitoes you're in for a bloodletting anyway.
And if you are thinking of the pleasures of swimming in Lake Superior, because it's so refreshingly cool compared to the bathwater of the Gulf, you should know that Lake Superior has one of the coldest temperatures even in summer of any lake anywhere. Dangerously cold. ""If you're planning to go swimming in Lake Superior this summer, you should probably stay close to shore," said Peter Blanken, a co-investigator from the University of Colorado." http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/222...ter-since-1979

Last edited by AmorphicDN; 07-05-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 10:08 AM

379 posts, read 359,384 times
I doubt anyone not originally from up there "summers" in Duluth.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 PM

I was born and raised in MN, 21 years in Rochester, 22 years in Minneapolis, 3 years Phoenix, and 19 years here in Las Vegas. And I was last in Duluth (is it still referred to as poor-man's San Francisco?) 5 years ago, when the thought struck me. Heaven! To be able to afford a 2nd home in Duluth! Spend May through September up there!

Yes, the potential problem, what to do with it the other months of the year, sure don't want the pipes to freeze! Less of a problem, if it were a condo in a high rise, and keep the temperature where the pipes wouldn't freeze?

Many a snowbird, lots of Canadians, have winter homes in AZ, where you can walk away from them for the summer months, leave them unattended, and no problems!

And who knows, these summer birds might decide one year, to stick it out year round, and? Just like the snowbirds who try that, may come to realize it wasn't as painful as they predicted.

I've met too many people, over the years, in the SW, who are clueless about Duluth, have never been there, but when I tell them it's one of my favorite cities in the country, and reasons why, then the curiosities begin! Especially when I tell them about that long beach on MN Point, where you can all but imagine you're along the ocean somewhere!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
Do you know about how such winters brutally compromise unoccupied home condition?
On this note, there ways to ensure that your home is safe during the winter. I'd recommend an Internet enabled thermostat like the Nest. You could remotely monitor your home's temperature right on your smart phone to ensure your pipes don't freeze. You could also install some basic wireless cameras that integrate with your Nest that would allow you to monitor key locations in your home remotely.

As far as the human touch, you could certainly hire someone on the cheap to come clear your side walks and around your vents/meters after snow storms. They would also be able to do a basic exterior inspection, looking for obvious problems. If your roof needs clearing, there are companies who do that work.

The point is, if you really want to keep a home in a cold climate unoccupied, you can easily do so by utilizing some smart technology and local resources. Of course, there is some cost associated with this, but tis' the price of having two homes.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM

I'm betting that if Duluth did a big advertising campaign, throughout the South, touting the assets of the city and the North Shore, addressing those that don't even know Duluth exists, they'd be surprised at the results!

But I'm sure many people in Duluth like their city just the way it is!

Way back in the early 1980's, looking for a summer getaway from Minneapolis, I had a tough choice to make: buy some land near the St. Croix/Snake river junction, and build a cabin, or buy a fixer upper house on a hill in Duluth. I've kicked myself, eversince, for not choosing Duluth!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
I doubt anyone not originally from up there "summers" in Duluth.

I've always tried to make that point as well.

Minnesota has lots of retired/semi-retired folks that travel South to escape the brutal Minnesota Winter weather. Virtually all of these people were born and raised in Minnesota in the first place. They spend Summers here (3,4, 5) months here, and the balance somewhere warmer.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that once someone leaves Minnesota for a month or two for a warmer place during the Winter, it's not long until 2 months becomes 3, and then 4 and then 5 and then 6 and then 7 months and generally tops out around 8 months give or take. I've seen that happen dozens of times with friends, neighbors, former co-workers etc... One of our neighbors announced two years ago that they weren't even going to come back North until early/mid June since we had such a crappy Spring two years ago. They leave when they feel it's getting to cool/cold for their taste which ends up being early October usually.

Trouble is, if we have such a wonderful set up here in the Summer, why can't we find more Arizonians, or Floridians etc...., coming up here to escape their "brutal" Summers ? I personally have never become aware of such a thing happening, unless they were born/raised in Minnesota and have come back for one reason or another, typically involving family ties etc...

Points South may have brutally hot Summers, but if they do choose to escape, it's not to Minnesota, regardless of our personal high opinions of our fair state during Summer. We're more or less off the radar of most of the country....for good or bad.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was born and raised in MN, 21 years in Rochester, 22 years in Minneapolis, 3 years Phoenix, and 19 years here in Las Vegas.

Many a snowbird, lots of Canadians, have winter homes in AZ, where you can walk away from them for the summer months, leave them unattended, and no problems!

And who knows, these summer birds might decide one year, to stick it out year round, and? Just like the snowbirds who try that, may come to realize it wasn't as painful as they predicted.
Have you ever been in Duluth during a MN winter?

Duluth gets more snow and is colder than the Twin Cities area. Seniors generally go AWAY from cold and snow because they do not want to deal with it!

I've been to Duluth....it's a nice place to visit for a day or a weekend, but I'd not want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth