Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,395 times

Advertisements

I apologize if there is already a good thread on this, but was looking to get away for a day or two and take my wife and kids up North of Duluth and spend some time enjoying some of the beautiful nature this state has to offer. Specifically looking to see some waterfalls, fish some streams and lodge for a night or two. My wife is probably more interested in a cabin or hotel than a tent.

I have two boys 12 and 8 that love to fish and are more skilled than your average kid that fishes a few times a year. The caveat is we just moved from Texas and obviously fish a different type of fishing in the bay or freshwater bass fishing in lakes. We would love to find some shallow streams to fish that they could also enjoy with the scenery or waterfalls, etc....

Looking to be within 5 hours of Minneapolis or so if at all possible. Is there anywhere like this that would fit what I'm looking for? I've google searched a bit and looked on the dnr pages, but need a little more specific info. Is there anywhere that can outfit you with the fishing gear rentals or do you need to bring your own? Any info would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrawfish View Post
I apologize if there is already a good thread on this, but was looking to get away for a day or two and take my wife and kids up North of Duluth and spend some time enjoying some of the beautiful nature this state has to offer. Specifically looking to see some waterfalls, fish some streams and lodge for a night or two. My wife is probably more interested in a cabin or hotel than a tent.

I have two boys 12 and 8 that love to fish and are more skilled than your average kid that fishes a few times a year. The caveat is we just moved from Texas and obviously fish a different type of fishing in the bay or freshwater bass fishing in lakes. We would love to find some shallow streams to fish that they could also enjoy with the scenery or waterfalls, etc....

Looking to be within 5 hours of Minneapolis or so if at all possible. Is there anywhere like this that would fit what I'm looking for? I've google searched a bit and looked on the dnr pages, but need a little more specific info. Is there anywhere that can outfit you with the fishing gear rentals or do you need to bring your own? Any info would be much appreciated.
There is a beautiful set of three waterfall steps just up the Sucker River that the DNR had blasted out of the the rock to help the fish get upstream. THis is a designated trout stream with three stunning waterfalls. Start the hike from the highway 61 pulloff, and head upstream following the river on the right side, there is a small path leading the way.

Another place is the little river just up past two harbors, but before the tunnels. A lot of fishing spots along the shore of Lake Superior for shore fishing. Just follow the 61 hwy to see many of the turn outs there along the way.

Lester River may be a good choice and a little up stream from the lake is a really good waterfall very popular known as Smileys. Good for swimming and wading though.

There are a lot of waterfalls along the north shore, and many in Duluth rivers and streams. If you want to do more shore fishing type stuff some good places may be Rice Point on the end of the wooden pier, Boy Scout Landing, and Lester River where it pours into Lake Superior.

You can (I think) charter a fishing boat and go out into Lake Superior and fish for some big fish, not sure as I have never done this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...w=1280&bih=678
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth