U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 7,130 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been interviewing at colleges pretty much all over the country since midDecember. Hiring season is more or less over for teaching jobs, and so far I got two offers: College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA and Lake Superior College in Duluth.

Both are weather extremes, I know. Duluth has advantage culture-wise , but Palm Desert is up on the weather end of things, since I don't have to be there over the summer when the 110Fs start on a regular basis (I'd catch the tail end of it in September though).

Money-wise, I got offered high $50Ks in Duluth, vs high $60Ks in PD.

I hate both weather extremes so not sure that I can decide by that. There seems to be more bearable months in Palm Desert (October to May) than Duluth (what, June to September? maybe?)

I am also single, straight, in early 40s and it'd be nice to start family soon if I can.

Help me choose!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 04:45 PM

5,398 posts, read 1,909,954 times
Where are you moving from?
No, the weather in Duluth starts to get very nice in May, then it will stay nice through October into November. December is nice to have snow during Christmas but I will be the first to admit that Jan and Feb can be miserable. There are always exceptions but you would be surprised how nice a 40 degree day in April feels after a cold winter. I lived up the shore on the lake and that can moderate the weather significantly too.
I can't speak to Palm Desert but I moved from Duluth a couple years ago to Redding CA where it is plenty hot. The heat season can last longer here than the cold in MN.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,130 times
Thanks CCBaxter!

Interesting. Redding, CA. What do you do if you don't mind me asking and how did you end up going from Duluth to Redding?

I lived in Chico, CA and Davis, CA - both very similar to Redding weather-wise (this fall and spring semesters I've been teaching in Chicago).

Quite honestly, the area you mention (Sacramento Valley) is a perfect climate for me I wouldn't think for one second if I got offers there. Heat is unbearable only for a few weeks in July/August, and even then, it hardly gets to 110Fs, which is a norm in Palm Desert for quite a few months.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM

5,398 posts, read 1,909,954 times
I was promoted and transferred here. The closer you get to the point where the coastal range meets the cascades, the less the air cools. Last summer was a beast, we started the a/c in May and didn’t turn it off till the middle of September. It was horrible. Weather aside, Duluth is a little like Chico with the school crowd and the local population. Used to be that over half the kids going to UMD were from the twin cities metro area. Add in scholastica, LSC, and the schools in Superior, and there’s a significant student population. If you like outdoor activities, Duluth is a pretty good option. I was married when I moved to Duluth so I can’t comment on the singles social scene.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 PM

55 posts, read 30,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I was married when I moved to Duluth so I can’t comment on the singles social scene.
I'll comment on it, but first a little background on my travels.

I'm from the Midwest, but not originally from MN, have lived a few years in NC in the Appalachians and lived a few years in south Florida.

Then I moved up to Duluth. I was in my twenties, single, etc.

I would say that of all the places I have lived the dating scene here was the toughest for me. I have heard that people who are not native Duluthians have trouble as well. Not just with dating but making friends too.
It really just depends on how outgoing you are, I think. If you know you have the charisma of a politician you'll do fine anywhere you go. But above average and below seem to struggle.

There are exceptions like people who move up here and are automatically part of a group for one reason or another - college students (meet people on campus), religious (meet people at church), etc etc.

I consider myself to be a fairly charismatic person, not crazy outgoing but not shy. I will talk to anyone and everyone, but I won't start conversations out of the blue with complete strangers all the time, only occasionally. But I will make eye contact and smile and remain open to conversations should someone decide to have one with me.

In everywhere I have lived that I listed above dating was never a problem. When I moved to Duluth I struggled quite a bit. I won't go into it unless you want me to but it took some time. Also with making friends. People seemed to be friendly but seemed to have little desire or interest in making new friends, they would rather stick with the group they know.

Now I have been up here for a few years now and I have since made friends and I met my fiance up here, but I did definitely notice it was harder to truly make connections and form relationships up here than it was anywhere else I've been.

I can't comment on your other choice Palm Desert, as I have never been. I have traveled to Berkeley, San Diego and San Francisco but I've never lived there so no idea.
But if I was given the choice between somewhere in California and Duluth. I would choose California.

Duluth is gorgeous and I love its natural beauty but the Winter is too long for me. And I'm used to cold winters since I am from the Midwest but not quite this long or cold of a winter, my hometown is consistently 10-15 degrees warmer than whatever Duluth's temperature currently is.

I prefer warmer weather, although I don't like it hot (I hated living in south florida), but I think I'd rather deal with hot weather rather than the cold. Waking up extra early in the morning to shovel out the driveway or warm up the car, trying not to die on the way to work because people seem to forget every year how to drive in the snow, etc etc.

Also the diversity. I would rather live in a more diverse area. Duluth is not diverse at all. It's probably the least diverse place I've ever lived. This may not impact some people as much as it does me (I'm a minority), and it's not a huge deal to me, but I do enjoy diversity. It reflects in restaurants, social events, art shows and other community events if you're into that kind of thing.
Although you may experience it a bit differently since colleges tend to have different populations than the towns they're located in.

Are you able to visit both places before making a decision? I know that's not easy and costly but it may be worth your while.

Hopefully my comments will help give you a better idea. I know it kind of sounds like I hate Duluth but I actually really love it here. I just don't plan on setting my roots down here.

People are friendly, it's a very unique town, lots of things to do outdoors, dog lovers galore (if you're a dog lover), great looking women (but I kind of think that wherever I go), great breweries and restaurants (although imho, most restaurants serve the same type of food).

If you want to know anything more, don't hesitate to ask. I hope my post helped.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM

1,454 posts, read 4,115,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie_dj View Post
Hi all,

I've been interviewing at colleges pretty much all over the country since midDecember. Hiring season is more or less over for teaching jobs, and so far I got two offers: College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA and Lake Superior College in Duluth.

Both are weather extremes, I know. Duluth has advantage culture-wise , but Palm Desert is up on the weather end of things, since I don't have to be there over the summer when the 110Fs start on a regular basis (I'd catch the tail end of it in September though).

Money-wise, I got offered high $50Ks in Duluth, vs high $60Ks in PD.

I hate both weather extremes so not sure that I can decide by that. There seems to be more bearable months in Palm Desert (October to May) than Duluth (what, June to September? maybe?)

I am also single, straight, in early 40s and it'd be nice to start family soon if I can.

Help me choose!
Are you still considering both locations? It's been a bit over a month, so unless you've been keeping them in limbo, you've probably already made a decision. If so, please let us know what you chose. If not, I can give my two cents for what it's worth - having been born and raised in Duluth and having lived in a hot desert climate the last 8 years.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,922,081 times
Wow, that's quite the conundrum. Honestly, I'd keep looking for jobs but if I had a knife to my throat, I'd go for Palm Desert, and get into a house with a pool.

Duluth has very few sunny days and can get quite depressing otherwise. It's on a hill that can be a challenge in the winter. LSC is up in the heights where things start to flatten out, and the flat areas get tornados in the spring/summer weeks. Notice I didn't say months.

I highly recommend a trip to scout it out, and the sooner the better as you're getting into the "nice" weather season and it'll soon start to fill up with tourists. Most would say that Duluth has seen better days, and it has. The history is rich, but the present is pretty uninspiring.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,796,359 times
OP, I live in the Midwest. At your age, I would not move to Duluth without a spouse in tow. The dating scene for 40-somethings is not good.

I don't think either of those two jobs are a good bet.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,777,775 times
Duluth is an awesome city. There is a lot of spirit in the city. It has beat the Twin Cities in outdoors.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 PM

15,412 posts, read 5,201,946 times
According to Zillow, the median home price in Duluth is $163,080. The median home price in Palm Desert is $334,715. That is certainly a factor to consider. You will be able to enjoy the outdoors in Duluth in the summertime. The North Shore of Lake Superior is a very beautiful region. The Twin Cities are slightly over two hours south.

Palm Desert will mean living indoors May to September (and there will be some days in April and October that are very hot, too), with exceptions if you are able to travel to the coast in Los Angeles, Orange County or San Diego on occasion. Those drives will often involve heavy traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth