Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 12:03 AM

147 posts, read 143,145 times

Advertisements

Hello Duluth residents,
For years I've been coming to visit your city (from the Twin Cities). Often times it's been during the summer but I have gone up during late October on a good weather day. I'd like to do it again, and I'd like to do it while things are off-peak so to speak. I want to see Duluth in it's normal day-to-day life. When is the best time to do this in the Spring? When is the best time to go before things get crazy?

I see that Canal Park does free parking before the middle of May so I definitely want to hit up the city before then. I also am seeing that there is a possibility of snow this weekend and am thinking things may just be a bit too early yet. My Duluth itinerary does not require jumping in Lake Superior. Simply finding a dive coffee shop and finding a new street to walk up "the hill" is good enough for me.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 04:03 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
Hello Duluth residents,
For years I've been coming to visit your city (from the Twin Cities). Often times it's been during the summer but I have gone up during late October on a good weather day. I'd like to do it again, and I'd like to do it while things are off-peak so to speak. I want to see Duluth in it's normal day-to-day life. When is the best time to do this in the Spring? When is the best time to go before things get crazy?

I see that Canal Park does free parking before the middle of May so I definitely want to hit up the city before then. I also am seeing that there is a possibility of snow this weekend and am thinking things may just be a bit too early yet. My Duluth itinerary does not require jumping in Lake Superior. Simply finding a dive coffee shop and finding a new street to walk up "the hill" is good enough for me.

Any suggestions?
Come up here before the Grandmas Marathon, which is in a few months. It may start getting busier during the last week of May, or around Memorial Day? For a nice neighborhood walk try out in Lakeside, along the
Lakewalk, and head into Brighton Beach. Or in the Lester Park area, up the Seven Bridges Road, up to Skyline, it follows a beautiful river, Lester River, and crosses several or many bridges made from rock, and in the summer, even now is beautiful.
Another really nice area would be up in the Twin Ponds area, and over to Enger Tower, climb up the tower to the top for a commanding view of the lake and the harbor. Bring the camera. Another neighborhood that is really neat to walk around is Vermillion area, especially in the fall time. It is located just off of Woodland down Snively Av.
You could also check out and walk around in Hartley Park, the area is full of hiking trails and Has a small lake to hike into. It is a nature center and is open year round.

Another neat place to walk is at the end of Park Point, park the car and walk the several mile one way hike out to the end of the point, or walk the distance along the shore of Lake Superior. Doing this in the middle of the night at 2am, is absolutely stunning. Especially with the dark night sky, filled with stars, no wind, and quiet, with the lights of Duluth off across the lake. Amazing. There is a established hiking trial there to follow. It leads though old growth large white pines and other trees.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Come up here before the Grandmas Marathon, which is in a few months. It may start getting busier during the last week of May, or around Memorial Day? For a nice neighborhood walk try out in Lakeside, along the
Lakewalk, and head into Brighton Beach. Or in the Lester Park area, up the Seven Bridges Road, up to Skyline, it follows a beautiful river, Lester River, and crosses several or many bridges made from rock, and in the summer, even now is beautiful.
Another really nice area would be up in the Twin Ponds area, and over to Enger Tower, climb up the tower to the top for a commanding view of the lake and the harbor. Bring the camera. Another neighborhood that is really neat to walk around is Vermillion area, especially in the fall time. It is located just off of Woodland down Snively Av.
You could also check out and walk around in Hartley Park, the area is full of hiking trails and Has a small lake to hike into. It is a nature center and is open year round.

Another neat place to walk is at the end of Park Point, park the car and walk the several mile one way hike out to the end of the point, or walk the distance along the shore of Lake Superior. Doing this in the middle of the night at 2am, is absolutely stunning. Especially with the dark night sky, filled with stars, no wind, and quiet, with the lights of Duluth off across the lake. Amazing. There is a established hiking trial there to follow. It leads though old growth large white pines and other trees.
We’re looking at doing this when we saw it in late Nov. Can you put a tent up and camp along this route? Leave a vehicle parked overnight at the last parking lot next to airport?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We’re looking at doing this when we saw it in late Nov. Can you put a tent up and camp along this route? Leave a vehicle parked overnight at the last parking lot next to airport?
No.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,001 times
The end of May and beginning of June are perfect, I'd say....right before the tourist season kicks in, which is mid- to late June.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:22 PM

147 posts, read 143,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post

Thanks for all the tips! I've seen Enger Tower before, but I had no clue there were ponds by there.

I ended up going this past weekend. I checked out Park Point and went out to the end of the concrete ledge. Very neat area and hope to go back there and bring some people.

I was also pleased to see that they fixed the LakeWalk where it passes in front of Beacon Point condos. Much better!

I'm going to have to get back up there again soon, hopefully before Grandma's weekend. I have a long list of suggestions now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth