Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM

6 posts, read 18,154 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving to Duluth next month and had questions about what would be the best type of vehicle for the winter. I have lived in Louisiana all of my life and have never had to drive in snow or ice. I will be buying a new truck or suv right before or right after the move. Is having a 4 wheel drive a vehicle a must for a driver unfamiliar with snow? I don't want to spend the extra money for it, but I might if it will be safer. Also what other types of trucks or suv's are recommended? The truck I wanted to get a was Toyota Tacoma but I was unsure of its performance in the snow. Also will my battery die often because of the cold?

Thanks for any information you could share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 AM

36 posts, read 183,034 times
4wd is a definate plus in MN winters. Ive driven a 2wd pickup for a few winters, made it just fine, almost got stuck once or twice. Duluth has a hill or 2 so I would go with the 4wd, especially if you are not experienced. Contrary to popular belief, batteries generally last longer up here, its the heat that really kills them, they last maybe 5-7 years. Just have it tested regularily in the few months leading up to winter, you'll be fine.
-bobby

Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
For someone who does live in the colder parts of Minnesota....your vehicle you are getting is fine....Duluth is quite hilly so a 4x4 would be beneficial but not a necessity. As for the battery as long as it is farily new you will not have a problem....but it really all depends on where your vehicle will be parked. If outside all the time...I do recommend getting a heater plug installed for the engine. Now apartments around here and some businesses do have outlets with cords for you to plug in vehicles and I would assume the Duluth area would too. Now..if you will have your vehicle in a garage a lot at night a plug in is not necessary. Other than that...should be just fine.

Dan EGF MN

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
You can get around in just about anything (of course, experience counts here) but I'd recommend an AWD car or 4WD truck. I drive an AWD Audi and love it, especially for the hills, never have a problem. I'd highly recommend a Tacoma, a few of my friends own older Tacomas and they do great.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
A Toyota Tacoma is suitable. That's waht I drove for many years here. I might adivse buying it in Minnesota in order to ensure that it has the rust protection. I'm not sure they apply that automatically anywhere else. By the way, what brings you to Duluth?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
I'm assuming you're looking at a truck for the utility aspect, otherwise FWD or AWD along the lines of a Subaru Outback or Impreza might serve you better. The thing to remember is that 4x4 gets you moving but it doesn't help you stop, and pickups/SUV's have a high center of gravity. It always amazes me when we have a snowstorm (or worse, ice storm) out here in Portland - the cars that wind up off the road and in the ditch are 4x4 SUV's as often as not. The drivers seem to be under the impression that 4x4 will let them drive faster and still be in control.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
The thing to remember is that 4x4 gets you moving but it doesn't help you stop, and pickups/SUV's have a high center of gravity.
Exactly, no matter what you drive out here, you still have to be extra careful going down the Duluth hills, they can be very slick.

I've learned that no matter what you drive, tires are the most important thing. I'd recommend investing in some dedicated winter tires (Blizzaks for example if you go the AWD car route). I know people that throw a good set of Blizzaks or Nokians on they're FWD econobox that have no problems getting around at all.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 25,943 times
I've driven in Duluth and other northern parts of MN over the years and yes a 4 wheel drive does help, either a truck or SUV, I perfer trucks myself and anything by Toyota is usally pretty good. I'd recommend you throw some sand bags in the back for some extra weight, helps you stop better and helps keep the back end in the back where it belongs.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,154 times
Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM

62 posts, read 173,122 times
A truck is not necessary. I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I bought a truck when I moved here and it was handy....for when I wanted to plow through big snowy banks. That was just the "tomboy" in me. But, some good snow tires or 4 wheel drive will have the same effect. I have since traded down to a car again because of these gas prices...I haven't had any issues the last two winters since I've had my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth