U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 01:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,775,066 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, here in Duluth, there was a Super Moon, or what it was actually called not sure.
Anyway, that weekend night the night sky was pure black clear and full of stars with this amazing clear huge full moon overhead.

Too make it even more awesome, it was over Lake Superior. There was no wind, it was clear and cold. A few days prior to this event, some folks decided to go out onto the ice off of Leif Erickson Park, and start to clear lanes in the snow to the ice below. About a half mile out more and more volunteers showed up and cleared snow, eventually making these trails or paths out on the lake for skating.

That weekend the moon was full. People showed up all day to go out there to skate and have fun. Someone said they had food a band or bands, and generators. A real festive atmosphere. I was in The Rose Garden walking with my dog that afternoon. I kept seeing all these people with firewood, sleds, different kinds of gear. Most had ice skates. Most had cameras backpacks coolers of all sorts and sizes.

I asked some groups what was going on. I could see people out there hiking out on the lake down behind the stone stage. They were going out to skate. Have fun.

See Facebook for more info.

Some of them said they had almost a mile of trail cut out there, paths, through the snow down to the smooth ice to skate on weaving through, around all over like a maze of sorts. A lot of kids parents young and old.

Under clear skies, and star filled at night.

Pretty awesome.

Some said this day, Friday and Saturday they are going to try again if conditions are good. We may get a storm though.

Yesterday I saw folks out there again, and some other hikers on the way.

https://www.perfectduluthday.com/201...mas-soderberg/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth