U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 640,030 times

Advertisements

Many on CD know that I love Duluth. Unfortunately, life circumstance are moving our family to Portland, Oregon and I wanted to leave my outsider view of the city for those interested in Duluth. Just to be clear, I love this city and would stay if it were in the cards.

The Great:
-A varied and pleasant summer: Unlike other cited nice summer cities, Duluth has a nice variation during summer including sun, rain, thunderstorms, mist, and fog. Combine this variation with a very cool summer makes it such a great summer.

-A real winter wonderland: No other city have I ever lived loves winter as much as Duluth. People really do make the best of the snow and cold. I picked up ice skating and snow hiking. I have just as much fun in winter as in summer.

-Strong civic infrastructure: Public library, public transit, and overall community is extremely strong for a city of 86,000. I have lived a semi-carless existence for about a year and done just fine.

-The outdoors: Lake Superior, North shore, and city parks with hiking trails all make this city such a recreation filled place. People are always outside even in winter.

The Just OK:
- The real estate market is bi-polar in that your options are old and affordable or new and expensive. I consider it just OK because if I was loved new houses, I would feel like I am overpaying. Fortunately, I love old houses so the real estate market worked for me.

The Bad:
-City Sales Tax: 8.375% is ridiculous even for a tourist town.
-Lopsided Shopping: Most of the shopping is on the hill even though most of the neighborhoods are not close. It seems silly that no one has thought of putting a Costco or so right near MN-61 expressway so the Canadians can get their shopping fix and Lakeside resident can avoid the hill.
-Job Market: Having been a recent victim of this, I have found this to be especially true. Pretty much if you are a specialized worker and are looking for work, prepare to leave town. Most of the jobs are low paying service jobs. Professional jobs pay is low for a city of its cost of living.

I hope this review is helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 13,498 times
Hello!

And thank you for posting about Duluth. I did work there twice in the pastl once for a month back in the '80s and another time for 4 months back in 2013...love it there!

I'm sorry to hear you're going to Portland Oregon. My how you're going to long to be back in good ol' Duluth in only a short time. I live in Bellingham Washington, own property in Seattle & Portland and I must say that all three of my favorite cities in the country, have been ruined.
Obviously, like many cities across America; it's because of people pouring in to the "wonderful" or "beautiful" or "cool" cities in these United States. The personality of Portland, Seattle and Bellingham have been completely raped and torn away from all the new people...especially immigrants. I'm a liberal but when you have 100's of thousands of immigrants move into an area in a very short period of time, it takes away from the personality of said place.
We are actually moving to Duluth to get away from all of it. I've found that real winters keep the riff raff, out. Plus, after traveling all over the country nonstop for 30 years I've come to the conclusion that the best people are the people who live in a place with four distinct seasons.
Again...I absolutely hope you fair well in Portland...but...well, you'll see.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:58 AM

10 posts, read 13,498 times
Default lol...Portland...

Gosh, wish you would have called or emailed me before saying to yourself "hmm, I'll move to Portland."

I feel sorry for you because Portland is a wasteland of moronic millennials who have zero identity and think craft beer is philosophically important.
It's so funny to me that all the "cool" people from across the country are moving to Portland & Seattle. Now both completely & utterly destroyed by all of you.

Ridiculously enough it is ironic that the very thing that defined most of the people moving to the PNW was where they were from. They stood out and were "cool" or critical thinkers and it made them different from those around them. So they thought "hmm, I'll move where everyone 'gets me' and is 'like me.' So now all these people have just moved into an area where everyone is like them.
But that doesn't work.

I grew up in Seattle and have since moved to Duluth because I enjoy being around normal people who don't have to pretend. From Bend & Eugene to Ashland on up to Portland and all the way to Bellingham Washington...completely and overWHELMINGLY ruined by people who are identical.
Either you have a beard and want to be "free" or you're asian and have new money. Or maybe you're a vegan who likes to run 3 times a week. Wow, you're so different!

I own property in Bend, Portland, Seattle and Bellingham. We left four years ago because of how the PNW has been destroyed. Give me a place where there is fresh water, happy people who are down to earth and some heavy snow to keep out the riff raff and I'm happy.
There are 28 THOUSAND new homeless people in Portland alone and twice as many in Seattle. You think housing or taxation is suspect in Duluth??
Let me roll around on the floor (laughing hysterically) for a while as you take in your lovely "no taxes" in Portland. The health care, education and infrastructure in Oregon is so bad they've actually considered calling it a national emergency. And I'm being serious...it's a federal issue that's come to roost in Oregon.

I'm 52 and have two young daughters and a lovely wife...we're atheist liberals but we're also down to earth and practical people. NOTHING like you'll find in the PNW anymore. We'd rather be considerate of others and help whenever we can. We'd rather put other's needs before our own and try to legitimately make the world a better place. It's the opposite in the PNW...anymore.
Of course you'll find several lovely people residing up there...but they're growing impatient. I know because I owned a business that had offices in the four locations I mentioned previous. And I have big ears.

You've made a mistake in leaving Duluth, but that's none of my business; you'll find out soon enough. I'm simply sharing this perspective for the readers to come.

Good luck to you in Willamette Valley!

Old 07-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryofjack View Post
Gosh, wish you would have called or emailed me before saying to yourself "hmm, I'll move to Portland."

I feel sorry for you because Portland is a wasteland of moronic millennials who have zero identity and think craft beer is philosophically important.
It's so funny to me that all the "cool" people from across the country are moving to Portland & Seattle. Now both completely & utterly destroyed by all of you.

Ridiculously enough it is ironic that the very thing that defined most of the people moving to the PNW was where they were from. They stood out and were "cool" or critical thinkers and it made them different from those around them. So they thought "hmm, I'll move where everyone 'gets me' and is 'like me.' So now all these people have just moved into an area where everyone is like them.
But that doesn't work.

I grew up in Seattle and have since moved to Duluth because I enjoy being around normal people who don't have to pretend. From Bend & Eugene to Ashland on up to Portland and all the way to Bellingham Washington...completely and overWHELMINGLY ruined by people who are identical.
Either you have a beard and want to be "free" or you're asian and have new money. Or maybe you're a vegan who likes to run 3 times a week. Wow, you're so different!

I own property in Bend, Portland, Seattle and Bellingham. We left four years ago because of how the PNW has been destroyed. Give me a place where there is fresh water, happy people who are down to earth and some heavy snow to keep out the riff raff and I'm happy.
There are 28 THOUSAND new homeless people in Portland alone and twice as many in Seattle. You think housing or taxation is suspect in Duluth??
Let me roll around on the floor (laughing hysterically) for a while as you take in your lovely "no taxes" in Portland. The health care, education and infrastructure in Oregon is so bad they've actually considered calling it a national emergency. And I'm being serious...it's a federal issue that's come to roost in Oregon.

I'm 52 and have two young daughters and a lovely wife...we're atheist liberals but we're also down to earth and practical people. NOTHING like you'll find in the PNW anymore. We'd rather be considerate of others and help whenever we can. We'd rather put other's needs before our own and try to legitimately make the world a better place. It's the opposite in the PNW...anymore.
Of course you'll find several lovely people residing up there...but they're growing impatient. I know because I owned a business that had offices in the four locations I mentioned previous. And I have big ears.

You've made a mistake in leaving Duluth, but that's none of my business; you'll find out soon enough. I'm simply sharing this perspective for the readers to come.

Your perspective is welcomed without the unnecessary roasting of my new home. I love Duluth and was sad to leave, but my new home has been great. I am very aware of Portland’s short comings and have made do. As was said, my move was somewhat forced due to loss of employment and not a deliberate maneuver to leave. I am sorry your time in the PNW was a disappointment, but at least you are at home in Duluth. I still tell people about Duluth’s better summer, hehe.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:01 PM

70 posts, read 41,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Your perspective is welcomed without the unnecessary roasting of my new home. I love Duluth and was sad to leave, but my new home has been great. I am very aware of Portland’s short comings and have made do. As was said, my move was somewhat forced due to loss of employment and not a deliberate maneuver to leave. I am sorry your time in the PNW was a disappointment, but at least you are at home in Duluth. I still tell people about Duluth’s better summer, hehe.
You will like PNW better. Im from MN and the longer Im away and more of the country I visit the more I realize how unspecial and rather plain MN is. It does have a lot of sterile nice amenities I guess. A vast majority are going the direction you are, leaving Mn to PNW not the other way around.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post

The Bad:

-Job Market: Having been a recent victim of this, I have found this to be especially true. Pretty much if you are a specialized worker and are looking for work, prepare to leave town. Most of the jobs are low paying service jobs. Professional jobs pay is low for a city of its cost of living.

Interesting, since the news from the midwest claims Minnesota has the strongest and fastest-growing economy in the region.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 AM

2,890 posts, read 888,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryofjack View Post

But that doesn't work.

Weird.

It's almost your opinion is merely an opinion, and not an objective fact.

But ... that can't be. Your preferences are facts, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Interesting, since the news from the midwest claims Minnesota has the strongest and fastest-growing economy in the region.
Interestingly, statewide rates of... well, of anything... vary from one part of the state to another. Does anyone really think that Minneapolis and Duluth and Their River Falls and Luverne and Winona and St. Paul all have the same job scenes? Or the same crime rates? Or the same weather? Or the same educational situations? Or the same anything?

Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM

4,522 posts, read 3,647,466 times
I've been to Duluth many times, the town itself seems to be idyllic in a way that welcomes people--as tourists. Beyond the tourism dollar which the wandering hordes spend freely, there is no real sense of a meaningful economic renaissance arriving anytime soon. And because no modern day economic revival is expected, it's a hard place to reconcile one's life with the low wage paying merchants notions of success.

Compare that dim view of the real Duluth to the bustling job meccas in the PNW, Seattle, Portland, and points in between are experiencing fantastic growth, both in housing and jobs. Yes, It's expensive to live where everyone else wants to live, but that's the way of the world not just the NW. People seem to have a hard time with the realization of big city life as a far different lifestyle when comparing it to the towns of 85,000 like Duluth. If you want the city, be prepared to see the homeless, the heavy traffic, the high rents---But if you want Duluth then be prepared to live that life of the mundane mid western--once upon a time-- town.

I could list the very real attractions in Portland and Seattle, as a comparison to Duluth, and Duluth's virtues would pale in any valid comparison, but that's not the way to look at things when we are considering moving for work, school, better weather, or just better economic opportunity. I live near Portland Oregon and the city has lots to offer, not only to tourists, but the locals here can also prosper.

Yes, we have the visible social consequences of a modern day city. Just as cities across the planet are experiencing, but that's all part of the coming of age in American social terms, foreign cities have long been the bastions of both good and bad, but they've been around much longer too. I hope no one is foolish enough to buy into the notions of Portland or Seattle as some kind of Sodom and Gomorrah, or Dante's hellish inferno, LOL, they are just big cities, and cities are much different than towns of 85,000.....

Just a note about realities as viewed through rose colored glasses:
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...ess-23-percent

Old 11-10-2019, 09:56 AM

I guess I should follow up to the new comments and reiterate that my review is just my reflection of my experience. I love Duluth and miss it. Being here almost 6 months now, there are definitely things that were better. Easier access to nature being the most common one. Even though I am near nature, I am still in a suburb and it feel somewhat artificial. When I lived in Duluth, I was truly on the door step to an expanse of nature that extends to the Hudson Bay.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhg View Post
You will like PNW better. Im from MN and the longer Im away and more of the country I visit the more I realize how unspecial and rather plain MN is. It does have a lot of sterile nice amenities I guess. A vast majority are going the direction you are, leaving Mn to PNW not the other way around.
Actually, I don’t love it more. I also don’t love it less. I like them about the same for different reasons. Duluth has its problems, but to say it is unequivocal worse in every way to PNW is also wrong. Duluth is unique and has a special brand that is hard to replicate. The idea is wandering in true wilderness largely unspoiled is a thing of past here. I could get lost somewhere in the woods in the Tillamook State Forest, but it has already been found and well travelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth