Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 11:00 PM

147 posts, read 139,966 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I know that the 'northland' is considered premium camping real estate this time of the year and state parks have their weekend sites booked weeks in advance. I am hoping to do some camping this fall on the north shore and I really don't want to have to deal with the whole State Park reservation system, their fees, booking in advance, etc. I'd like to be able to find a place where I can call the day of, head up north and have a spot.

What are my options for doing this on the north shore? Is there any decent free dispersed camping in the area? Any private campgrounds that usually don't fill up? My goal would be to be a half hour or less from the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,569,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
Hi everyone,
I know that the 'northland' is considered premium camping real estate this time of the year and state parks have their weekend sites booked weeks in advance. I am hoping to do some camping this fall on the north shore and I really don't want to have to deal with the whole State Park reservation system, their fees, booking in advance, etc. I'd like to be able to find a place where I can call the day of, head up north and have a spot.

What are my options for doing this on the north shore? Is there any decent free dispersed camping in the area? Any private campgrounds that usually don't fill up? My goal would be to be a half hour or less from the lake.
You should not have a problem getting a spot to camp at Sawbill Campground, or known as Sawbill Landing. THere is a fee there however, and most sites are drive in, and you can just choose a spot, while some of the sites are reservation only in advance.

This campground is about an hour away from the lake however, up at the end of the Sawbill Trail. There are many many excellent campgrounds in the Superior National Forest to chose from. There are also several awesome campgrounds that are free. These spots have 5 sites that are in each.

As with these free sites, and Sawbill, these are on the edge of the BWCAW. However they are generally further than a half hour from the lake.

Another option to consider is up the Gunflint TRail going NW from Grand Marais. At the end of the trail is Trails End campground, again at the edge of the BWCAW. It is around 50 miles from the lake. Then you could go into Grand Marais for a day if wanted.

I do not think that you would find any campgrounds full at this time of year, and even so, there are still plenty of great places to chose from, up in the Superior National Forest. From or near many of these camp grounds depending on the activity you enjoy doing are many many hiking trails, most of which are the best in the state.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,569,653 times
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sup...camping-cabins

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sup...36905&actid=29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
View detailed profiles of: