Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I hope this post is allowed in this forum. I thought about city vs. city, but thought locals in Duluth would have more insight.

So, my family has visited Duluth, the Bayfield/Ashland, and Marquette-Munising areas and really love each of them. Lake Superior and the woods up there really speak to us, and we would like to explore the possibility of living there. I was hoping to get insight on how we might fare in these cities in a few areas that we are concerned about:

-Cost of living. We are looking for a low cost of living. It would be nice to be able to afford a home. Around 100k or less would be ideal, unless we can increase our income by a lot.

-Employment availability - we are looking for good opportunities in the construction/home renovation/green building/energy efficiency fields. We have thought about starting a handyman type business as well or being a subcontractor in construction, doing something for ourselves to earn more money. We'd like ample business or employment opportunities.

-A natural "granola" type of feel -- a good organic farming community around and a thriving farmer's market.

--Good schools, low drug use

We also want lots of outdoor/hiking/camping opportunities, but I feel these are present in abundance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 11:19 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Duluth is a wonderful granola city with two caveats:

-The cost of housing in the nice areas (Lakeside, Kenwood,etc) are flying off the rails. I sold my home there in June for $20k more than I paid in less than two years. I had to leave and I about broke even factoring closing costs and realtor fees. $100k houses in Duluth are very old, not in a great area, or both. I would say $200k for a good home in a good area minimum.
-The job market sucks. I had an engineering job and was let go. There were hardly any options for me. I applied to them all, but zilch. Plan on being self employed or working in a solid field not subject to market swings or junky corporate politics. You will likely not strike rich here.

Beyond that, Duluth is such a gem. Nature is one of a kind and has accessibility that PNWers would be jealous of. There are no mountains or ocean beaches, but the lakes and forestry are practically endless. As I have said before, I don’t think it is better or worse than where I am now as a whole. It has its strengths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
View detailed profiles of: