Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
FNF FNF started this thread

23 posts, read 98,830 times

Advertisements

Well, the new wife and I originally thought about Texas, but this heat is killing, and Minnesota sounded nicer.

What are some romantic places to go up in Duluth? Bed and breakfasts, dining, cultural, etc... We want to avoid getting stuck eating McD and BK...local joints that welcome out of towners is always nice.

We want to splurge the first few nights and explore what the North is like.

We are both 24, from Omaha, NE, and are willing to try anything!

We'll be headed up there probably Tuesday...

Any help about nice things to do for a honeymoon and or explorations is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
The first obvious places are Canal Park and the lift bridge (watch a freighter pass by feet from you) and MN Point at sunset (can't get much more romantic then that). Hacienda De Sol (downtown) is a really good Mexican restuarant. Amazing Grace cafe/coffee shop in the basement of the big brick building in the middle of Canal Park has good soups and sandwiches (which are extremely huge), plus they have live music during some evenings. I would personally stay away from Grandma's (a restuarant)--there are so many other places to eat. The aquarium was neat, but the two-story waterfall gave me a bit of a headache. I know there are some nice trails around Duluth, but when I lived in the area, Duluth was my "metropolitan" area, so I mostly just did my shopping. Are you willing to travel a bit away from Duluth? Are you driving or flying there?

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
FNF FNF started this thread

23 posts, read 98,830 times
Thanks for the fast response! We'd be driving, and yes we are willing to go off the beaten path. I have found tons of 'gems' during our travels by doing that!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
I'd recommend Valentini's Italian restaurant on London Rd for some excellent authentic Italian with a great open, talkative atmosphere. Also, I'd recommend Restaurant 301 in the bottom of the Sheraton hotel on Superior St. It's a very small restaurant with an awesome atmosphere. Very cozy and romantic with a nice little fireplace and bar. Also, make sure you head up to Enger Tower off of the Skyline Rd. Check out the flower gardens, climb the tower, grab some great pictures of yourselves over an excellent view of Duluth. You might also want to take a drive up the North Shore on the Scenic Highway and stop at the many rest stops that have great views. If you have the time you might also want to head even farther north to Gooseberry Falls (about 20 miles North of Two Harbors or 45 miles north of Duluth). Gooseberry is beautiful with some great little trails going all around the falls.

Hope that helps! Good luck on the trip!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Oh, we also love Pizza Luce (also downtown). I was going to suggest the Northshore and Gooseberry Falls, too. Grand Marais is a neat little town, but it is about 2 hours north. Bayfield is too, but again about 1.5 hours to the east. In Bayfield, you can visit the orchards (mostly apple orchards, but a lot of them have berries, too), take the ferry to Madeliene Island and bike around the island, go to Sand Point, or swimming at the beach between Washburn and Bayfield (if you want more direction then that, let me know and I will try my best). There is also a winery in Iron River that makes good mead (White Winter Winery?)

Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Congratulations! If you are looking for some B and B's there are a bunch of them in Duluth along East Superior Street. Minnesota Bed and Breakfast Duluth MN Lodging Inn Accommodations

Try the New Scenic cafe along the Old Hwy 61 about 10 miles north of Duluth. Better yet, is Nokomis (spendy meal) but excellent food and views of the Lake.

Canal Park has all the shops and casual dining. Superior street is being redeveloped and has some nice shops and places to eat now too. There is a brand new Sheraton along Superior street and some Irish Pubs.

There is plenty of hiking along the Superior Hiking Trail and swimming across the bridge at Wisconsin Point is awesome. Nice flat sandbar and the lake is suprisingly warm there.

You could also get out on the lake with a Vista Cruise (they're ok) but there are also some other charter boats along the harbor.

I would recommend a drive up the North Shore to Split Rock Light House and stops at Gooseberry falls and a pit stop on the way back at Betty's Pies.

If you like golf, then Duluth has two good courses at Enger Park (stop and climb the tower) or Lester Park Golf Course. Superior has a nice course, Nemadji, but not very many other nice places to visit over there.

You can also see what is playing at the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra (if that's your thing) or try a comedy at the Renegade Comedy Theater downtown. Enjoy your time!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 26,801 times
Make sure you take her fishing too If you even have time to leave your room.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 AM

15 posts, read 75,247 times
If you are willing to do the drive, a few more miles north and you can be in Grand Marais on the North Shore. There are trails and wilderness, and we love the area.

Visit Grand Marais, Minnesota - Grand Marais Area Tourism Association

Old 07-27-2008, 11:15 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times
For a "resort" type romantic place, I'd recommend Lake Superior - Superior Shores Resort, Hotel and Conference Center - Two Harbors, Minnesota -- my brother in law honeymooned there and they really liked it. I believe it was offered by the resort otherwise they just chose to come back, but they spent their 1st anniversary there as well.

I'd also second the Bayfield, WI idea as a little side venture and definitely ditto the suggestion to try New Scenic Café | 5461 N. Shore Drive | 218-525-6274 --absolutely phenomenal food and service tucked just off a wooded road. Lovely.

Congrats!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth