Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM

22 posts, read 131,604 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
Now that we know we'll move to beautiful Duluth, I am activally looking into the real estate market.
My question is like: I see beautiful "historical" houses practically on the lake shore, on London rd. And they are not expensive for their condition and location. I wonder why, do you have any ideas?
But on a general looking, we think about buying near UMD. Is it a good option? Hunters Park and Congdon seem nice.
Would you think it is interesting to consider Hermantown?
What about living farther north, more in the rural areas?

Tell me all about it...

Last edited by Eurogal; 03-02-2007 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: better grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 22,292 times
Disclaimer: I've only been to visit Duluth once. My husband (who spent summers there) and I looked at houses when we were there and will again this summer when we visit ('cuz I foolishly signed up for some silly marathon). So, I'm not really an expert on the area but what I found:
London road is a really busy road. So, prices are cheaper. Also, what our agent considered a "nice" house, I considered on the dumpy side. Photos on the web can be deceiving.
The UMD area looked nice to me but I had concerns about noise/density issues. Maybe someone else could speak to that area???
We wouldn't really consider Hermantown because we want to be in the "city" and it just seemed to suburban and too far away for us. That said, we saw some nice brand new homes in that area which were nice.
Congdon is first on my list of areas - it was very nice and close to town and I've heard the schools are good.

Wish I could be of more help. Good luck and have fun with your search!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,857 times
Eurogal, I don't know if you've been to Duluth or not, but I'd strongly suggest looking before committing to anything. I've lived here most of my life and have seen changes that make me shudder. As far as living in Duluth, I'd steer clear of it if I were you. They (the City Govt.) are in the middle of a huge unfunded pension liability and are facing some pretty dismal decisions regarding how to accomplish paying off a growing pile of debt. The debt will certainly be put square on the shoulders of the poor folks that live in the city, many are talking of property tax increases as much as 70% in the coming years. Unfortunately, the school district (ISD 709) is also wading in debt and is facing the unpopular decision to close at least one and probably more schools due to declining population. Hermantown has become a very popular place and seems much more business friendly than Duluth, personally it isn't rural enough for me. I'd sooner pull my teeth out with a pair of pliers that live within five miles of UMD, the traffic is horrible and there are plenty of "party houses" occupied by college students. My wife and I recently moved from Rice Lake Township (just outside the northern city limits of Duluth) to Carlton County (just south of Duluth) and it works fine for us. Cloquet is about eight miles from us and it actually is a shorter drive to Duluth than RLT was, there is less "tourist traffic" and we can have all the critters at our place that we want without the local building official coming over telling us to cull our herd. If you like city living and want to live in Duluth proper, I'd suggest Lakeside (near London Road) on the east end of town. Housing is still relativly inexpensive and it doesn't seem overrun with the riff raff that has occupied much of Duluth in the past ten years. Hunters Park is nice (I grew up there) and Woodland isn't too bad, some of the "nice" neighborhoods in Duluth no longer exist.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 23,736 times
It all depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. I have been a college student at UMD for 5 years, and have come to know Duluth very well. The east end is of course the nicest (and most expensive) place to live. London Road is quite a busy street, and the traffic makes the air heavy with exhaust. However, if you are able to snag some lake sure at a reasonable price, I would suggest that you not pass up the chance!

Hermantown is also a beautiful area. It is basically Duluth, because it does not even have its own downtown. It is more expensive than Duluth living, but with houses usually comes a fair amount of property. I am currently student teaching at Hermantown HS, and the education there is amazing, and the students are top-notch for the area. If I end up staying here (which I pray happens, because I love the area so much), I would love to live in Hermantown. However, as a new college grad, it would be difficult for me financially.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,396 times
I grew up in Duluth and still visit family there often. No one seems to have pointed out that it can be 20 degrees colder downtown than "up the hill" or in the Hermantown area. (Where I grew up) London rd is by the lakewalk which alot of my friends like. Most of the shopping is in the Hermantown area. Hermantown has by far the newest and best school district, also newer housing.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,857 times
Ahhh..but Katt if you remember, that lovely air conditioner also helps keep it warmer downtown in the winter when it isn't froze over!!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 31,557 times
The homes along London Rd. are very nice if you get one on the lake, but otherwise, I would focus on the Congdon area. The Lakeside area is nice too, and I would focus on the Morningside area of Hunters Park as the homes are nicer and not migrating toward a college type neighborhood. (I currently live in Hunters Park, 19 years, and have seen the changes from a young family neighborhood to college rentals). Hermantown is very suburban and the schools are supurb. The only other areas would be the new housing developments around Miller Hill Mall, they are close to everything, but the school situation would be iffy.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 44,433 times
Everyone seems to have great ideas. Congdon does have a very good school (I am an education major). I would avoid living near UMD. I currently live near by and there are a lot of drunken parties which can sometimes attract the attention of cops. Hermantown looks pretty good, not too trashy or anything like that. But definetly avoid the west side of town. It is really run down.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
If you want older more historic homes, Hunter Park and Congdon are your best bets. Hunters Park, Morley Heights, and Woodland all have some nice properties that won't cost an arm and a leg. Also, it depends on how much you want to spend. There is a new housing development in far eastern Duluth called Hawk's Ridge, new lake front Condo's which I understand you can rent now that the housing market has burst. You could buy a refurbished loft downtown Duluth if that's your thing.

There is a 3 bedroom, 3 car garage(new), and updated home with a fireplace, fenced yard, and natural wood work beams in my neighborhood for 189,900 it was listed at 210,000. So, the market correction is well underway. It's a good time to buy.

As far as schools, Duluth does a good job overall, but some schools are better than others. Yes, everyone thinks Congdon is the best, but that is not the case. I was a teacher and the school told a family, this was common by the way, that if they needed help with their kids reading disorder that they should go to "Grant, because they do that sort of thing over there." I was in the meeting when this was said.

Lakeside, Lowell, Homecroft, and Piedmont are all good too. Piedmont is a nice neighborhood in west duluth on top of the hill. It has some newer homes and nice starter homes too. Some of the houses look out over the harbor and are million dollar homes.

Further north or rural you will find that you have to drive Duluth to get anything you need, but if that doesn't bother you, then try Lakewood Township, Canosia Township, or Pike Lake area.

Like another member said, Hermantown is just an extension of Duluth, can't understand why it hasn't been annexed, because it is one subdivision after another until you get closer to Midway Road and it becomes more rural with older homes and hobby farms.

I hope that helps! Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM

22 posts, read 131,604 times
Default Relocated since

Thanks Newcastle,

We have relocated in Duluth since May (the thread is old), and we did end in Congdon and we are very happy about it.

See you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth