U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Sputnik Planitia
6,903 posts, read 9,679,161 times
Reputation: 7598

Advertisements

Soros: “Indeed, we have just entered Act II of the drama.”

Soros Says ‘We Have Just Entered Act II’ of Crisis (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Shiller: Significant chance of a double dip

"I think there is a significant possibility of that [a double dip recession]... I think there are SIGNIFICANT risks of a decline in both the STOCK and the HOUSING markets"

Bloomberg News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
 
10,494 posts, read 24,388,658 times
Reputation: 6696
These guys are wrong. I know that because Obama and the other democrats on here have said the economy is improving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
 
484 posts, read 2,088,068 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
These guys are wrong. I know that because Obama and the other democrats on here have said the economy is improving.
LOL,
Yes Obama and democrats are all the truth!!!! Lets do as they say and bend over

One more bounce up and then humpty dumpty will crack again as he can never be put back together perfectly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 4,823,906 times
Reputation: 1996
Actually the biggest contrarian indicator is Ben Shalom Bernanke himself. Basically everything he says about the economy has been 100% wrong and he has lately been talking up the economy again so expect the opposite to what he says to happen. Tim Geithner is also a pathological liar and is constantly wrong. Destroying peoples confidence in the markets like this and ultimately the monetary system is very bad. Also the laws and regulations we have now seem to only apply to regular people like those who post here and not those who destroy our environment like BP or those who destroy our financial system like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs and on and on. They get to keep the profits and pass on the risk to taxpayers. This is end of empire type of stuff going on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
15,091 posts, read 11,990,946 times
Reputation: 14225
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
These guys are wrong. I know that because Obama and the other democrats on here have said the economy is improving.
Nope, Obama's plan can't move these kinds of global trends. But the real news here is that simple Republican budget cutting is not going to bring us back from the brink, either - read Soros's comments again and see if you can spot where he infers this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,394,793 times
Reputation: 2747
As vilified as Soros is, he does have a better track record than Obama. Maybe Bo is his economic prognosticator. Bo knows more than Mr. "Shalom Bernanke", haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
188 posts, read 245,533 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Soros: “Indeed, we have just entered Act II of the drama.”

Soros Says ‘We Have Just Entered Act II’ of Crisis (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Shiller: Significant chance of a double dip

"I think there is a significant possibility of that [a double dip recession]... I think there are SIGNIFICANT risks of a decline in both the STOCK and the HOUSING markets"

Bloomberg News
Well if you look at historical measures of value the DOW should be priced somewhere around 9100, however the housing market still hasn't hit bottom in relation to historical price values. Housing prices are still far higher above the inflation line than they should have been, and so I believe those will continue to fall. Especially once the government gets out of the way and quits throwing money at a problem that will correct itself either today, or in the future (once there is no more stimulus). But this is what everybody is taught in college now (and it's modern economic thinking), they think we can somehow defy the laws of economics by stimulating, even though recessions are corrections to the actual problem (the bubble). Just like we can't change the laws of physics or math, we can't change the laws of economics (no matter how much we want to).

So, In my opinion, we still have a long way to go in the correction process of the economy but the stock market made its correction in 2008. In fact, the stock market over corrected itself by going so far down (as tends to happen in corrections). But, we've seen the lowest lows of the stock market because the government can't artificially inflate the stock market like they have been housing prices and consumer spending.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,638,376 times
Reputation: 27642
Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrfan2187 View Post
Well if you look at historical measures of value the DOW should be priced somewhere around 9100, however the housing market still hasn't hit bottom in relation to historical price values. Housing prices are still far higher above the inflation line than they should have been, and so I believe those will continue to fall. Especially once the government gets out of the way and quits throwing money at a problem that will correct itself either today, or in the future (once there is no more stimulus). But this is what everybody is taught in college now (and it's modern economic thinking), they think we can somehow defy the laws of economics by stimulating, even though recessions are corrections to the actual problem (the bubble). Just like we can't change the laws of physics or math, we can't change the laws of economics (no matter how much we want to).

So, In my opinion, we still have a long way to go in the correction process of the economy but the stock market made its correction in 2008. In fact, the stock market over corrected itself by going so far down (as tends to happen in corrections). But, we've seen the lowest lows of the stock market because the government can't artificially inflate the stock market like they have been housing prices and consumer spending.
But the big banks can and the government handed them plenty of money to play with. GS became a bank overnight and got handed billions and look at them today. Trading statistics show that the institutions and banks are doing most of the wheeling and dealing on Wall Street.
Main Street is hunkering down with trillions sitting on the side earning paltry interest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
6,327 posts, read 9,286,040 times
Reputation: 7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the big banks can and the government handed them plenty of money to play with. GS became a bank overnight and got handed billions and look at them today. Trading statistics show that the institutions and banks are doing most of the wheeling and dealing on Wall Street.
Main Street is hunkering down with trillions sitting on the side earning paltry interest.
Government policies are favoring debtors over savers. Of course, this just encourages more of the behavior that created the whole mess in the first place.

Right now, many people are more worried about capital preservation than returns. There's a fear they'll potentially lose 30-40% if the market takes another swoon, so better to be earning that crummy 1% in the bank than risk a loss of that magnitude.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,196,577 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I think there are SIGNIFICANT risks of a decline in both the STOCK and the HOUSING markets"
Bold prediction after a dump from eleven five to tennish. Be nice if he's mentioned that six weeks ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top