Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

"If you live for having it all, what you have is never enough. In an environment of more is better, “enough” is like the horizon—always receding."

Your Money or Your Life: Why Work Yourself to Death? | Books | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
The only problem with the rejection of hyper-productivity is that we don't get that choice at work. If I told my employer (assuming I had the job I wanted, which I don't) I wanted to throttle back at work and put in 30hr/wk I'd be terminated lickity-split. It's a zero sum game in the American landscape. You either hyper-toil or you go work cashier at JCPenney where they'll allow you to throttle back because you're making the square root of ^uck all in the first place.

I'd LOVE for my employer to come in and ask me whether I wanted to slow roll my productivity in order to enjoy my home life. I have a dream too I gues....

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
You either hyper-toil or you go work cashier at JCPenney where they'll allow you to throttle back because you're making the square root of ^uck all in the first place.
Or you work for yourself and create whatever sort of schedule you like.

I know though, its just a lot easier to whine.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Or you work for yourself and create whatever sort of schedule you like.

I know though, its just a lot easier to whine.
Brother just gimme a break already will ya? Are you gonna give me the capital so that I can go set up my very own betty crocker maybe-in-demand-maybe-not-in-demand business of whatever I like to do? To fall or maybe not fall flat on my a$$ because it doesn't quite add up to the reduction in hours I seek for my troubles, just so I can say " well at least user_id will be happy to know for the time being I can set up my very own hours, solvency be damned". Quit being so disingenuous just to be a contrarian of every position I type on here. Self-employment is not this purist mythical unicorn of moral righteousness and catch-all for the woes of the labor pool. Quit watching Ali Velshi and the CNN idiots of self-employment-as-blanket-answer already.

The fact is that I have identified that if I were to work for myself doing what I love to do I would not be solvent. I have identified that the industry that I would pursue in the self-employed hypothetical does not compensate in the manner I warrant as worthwhile for the risk and hassle of setting up the capital expenditure (that I don't have and would require too long to acquire, absent the debt I don't want to incur in the FIRST place) and revenue risk associated with running your own business in said industry. This does not all of sudden justify the zero-sum game nature of the american hyper-productive expectations of our labor market.

I'm simply making an observation. I could just as easily go work at JCPenney and " have my own schedule". I would just have no solvency. And JCPenney kicks the a$$ out of the median business owners' weekly schedule, when you normalize for dollar per dollar. There's plenty of business owners spending way too many hours at work with way too many lines of credit in order to bring home something an inch above the aforementioned 60/hr/wk professional. So much for your own schedule. What do you find so morally reprehensible about me factually pointing out the prevalence of hyper-productivity in the workplace, other than your inherent desire to always pick a bone with my positions?

Agree to disagree, but spare me the "it'd be easier to whine..." jab. It stinks of vendetta.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
That's what I'm talkin 'bout - no you dih-int!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Brother just gimme a break already will ya? Are you gonna give me the capital so that I can go set up my very own betty crocker maybe-in-demand-maybe-not-in-demand business of whatever I like to do?
No, why would I. But the average start-up capital for businesses in the US is around $10k, so this is well within your means. But the point is that there is an alternative to your false dilemma and its one that 20 million Americans in fact utilize.

Quote:
Self-employment is not this purist mythical unicorn of moral righteousness and catch-all for the woes of the labor pool.
Quit watching Ali Velshi and the CNN idiots of self-employment-as-blanket-answer already.
I have no idea who Ali Velshi is and I don't get CNN in the first place (I have had not had cable for 8 years). No where have I suggested that self-employment is the answer to everyone's unemployment problems, rather I mentioned it in response to your false dilemma. Someone who is self-employed can work less hours yet still derive a decent income.

There are ways to avoid the "rat-race" if you are willing to think "outside the box".

Quote:
The fact is that I have identified that if I were to work for myself doing what I love to do I would not be solvent. I have identified that the industry that I would pursue in the self-employed hypothetical does not compensate in the manner I warrant as worthwhile for the risk and hassle of setting up the capital expenditure (that I don't have and would require too long to acquire....
People rarely get to do exactly "what they love", that is a fantasy world. Self-employment can provide someone with a more lax schedule while still providing a decent income. As usual you focus on extremes while completely ignoring the gray areas in the middle.

Quote:
Agree to disagree, but spare me the "it'd be easier to whine..." jab. It stinks of vendetta.
I'll spare it when you stop whining.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, why would I. But the average start-up capital for businesses in the US is around $10k, so this is well within your means. But the point is that there is an alternative to your false dilemma and its one that 20 million Americans in fact utilize.
Any info on how many of those fail, lose all their initial investment, or make peanuts selling crap on eBay or putting little signs up on off-ramps at 2:00 am to promote their latest multi-level-marketing scheme?

Quote:
I'll spare it when you stop whining.
That poster expressing his views on the difficulty or working part time is what makes these message boards work, people have opinions so we discuss. Unfortunately there are some that hinder discussion by unnecessarily belittling others, what does it gain you?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Sure, it may take only $10,000 to start a business (I have my doubts about that figure) but you have to have something to live on until the business starts to make money. Somehow you have to still buy groceries and gasoline and pay for things like Electricity and Water. Even working from your home, you will have expenses that are set and can't be put off.

Many a new business has failed because the owner wanted (or needed) X amount of money to live on. He took that amount out first and there wasn't enough left to sustain the business.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
There is a lot more to the equation than just working hard or not. Someone can give their heart and soul to McDonalds and still never go anywhere.

The key then becomes knowing where, when and how to put your efforts... and knowing how to avoid running full bore on the proverbial hampster wheel without going anywhere, but still be able to run like hell when the cat comes after you.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
The trick is to save and invest your money into profitable ventures. Pay yourself FIRST. That means saving money and investing it. Most will NEVER realize this idea. Its something reserved for the upper capitalist class. The vast majority of Americans pay everyone else and NEVER pays themselves. Mortgage payments, car payments, credit card payments...the list goes on and on. Bigger house, bigger car, kids, vacation etc. Once you've opted out of that mentality you will soon realize you have everything you need to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics