Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 PM

791 posts, read 2,952,261 times

Advertisements

I have no idea as to where to post this, so I guess I will try here first.

I am hoping someone can give me ideas on how to find hidden money. I am in a lawsuit right now and I am positive there has been money hidden by the opposing side, the problem is finding it. I have hired a P.I. to search for bank accounts with no such luck. I am running out of time and would like to know if anyone has a clue on how to go about doing this?

Just FYI, the person in question has volunteered info. on the bank accounts they want me to know about and those records have been requested and received via subpoena but we suspect there are others that are not being offered up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-20-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM

433 posts, read 1,225,940 times
My first thought was overseas trusts.

But here is what a search turns up..

http://howtoinvestigate.com/articles/assets_search2.htmg5QQ (broken link)

Getting Sued Hiding Assets (http://ezinearticles.com/?Getting-Sued-Hiding-Assets&id=446330 - broken link)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,004,833 times
Nothing weird about this topic, hidden assets is an issue in many civil (as well as criminal) cases.

There are pro's in the game ... from the IRS to lawyers who do this type of inquiry all the time.

You need to engage the services of a legal professional who knows already how to discover hidden assets, if any, instead of trying to learn about it "on the job" when time is of essence to your current case.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM

23,559 posts, read 70,077,656 times
A credit report would show major accounts. Accounts that have recently been cleared out would be a signal to an attorney to ask for more disclosure. In most states, transactions that occur in anticipation of a lawsuit can be rendered void by the court. The advice in that second link by the CPA borders on idiotic. The first link must be a hidden asset because it doesn't turn up anything.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Nothing weird about this topic, hidden assets is an issue in many civil (as well as criminal) cases.

There are pro's in the game ... from the IRS to lawyers who do this type of inquiry all the time.

You need to engage the services of a legal professional who knows already how to discover hidden assets, if any, instead of trying to learn about it "on the job" when time is of essence to your current case.
This you are correct about, my only problem is I have two attorney's both don't seem to be too interested in looking or don't know how.

And yes learning "on the job" right now is not working for me

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A credit report would show major accounts. Accounts that have recently been cleared out would be a signal to an attorney to ask for more disclosure. In most states, transactions that occur in anticipation of a lawsuit can be rendered void by the court. The advice in that second link by the CPA borders on idiotic. The first link must be a hidden asset because it doesn't turn up anything.
This is exactly what I thought, I thought any account you are linked with would come up in a credit report. Now I just have to somehow convince the judge to let us see the opposition's credit report to verify that we have all the accounts. In the state I'm in you must have the person's permission to pull their credit report.

It's just sad that people can get screwed over so easily.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
If your private investiogators are worth anyhting ;you are unlikely to find anything they didn't.Most foten this comes up in a divorce and often its found that money was moved or elimioanted by one party. The problem is its often in small amounhts over a lengthy period . When asked to account its accout for by "I spendt it on living cost" and no one can prove otherwse to a courts satifaction.Veryhtig in ciivl cases is by sbupeona or court order and not voluntary really.Attorney's always hire experienced investiagtors to investiagte that is not their field really.Good luck you may be lookig for things not there to be legally found or not actaully recoverable as their moeny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics