Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you turn in your Gold to the government if the decided to confiscate it, like in 1933?
Yes it's our duty 0 0%
It won't happen for may reasons 5 11.63%
Screw the Government they can't take what they can't find 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Remember the current times we are in. The dollar is going to completely crash
That's the problem, I don't agree with your premise. People (usually buy-gold doomsday Alex Jones types) have been predicting the crash of the dollar for years, and right along with their hyperinflation prediction it just doesn't seem to pan out. The dollar looked weaker for awhile and this crowd was falling all over themselves in giddy joy but hey it popped back up so it's back to predicting that some day they'll be right.

Meanwhile I'll work less on theories of drastic upheaval and maintain an appropriate asset-mix of stocks and bonds that I hope will get me to retirement early and successfully.

Good luck everyone one, I hope whatever path for success you choose works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:33 PM

264 posts, read 493,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sub-Blue you seem like a nice fellow and I wish you luck, I really do, but this is an extremely reckless attitude as an investor, especially if you're "all in" with a historically volatile commodity.

Please be careful.

No you need to read very carefully

Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 PM

If you've got a point there I missed it.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Not only NO, but HELL NO!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
What gold? I lost all of it in a boating mishap off the coast of Mexico, in international waters.

Unfortunately, my guns and ammunition also fell overboard at that time.

I have since learned to be more careful, and no longer carry valuables when I go boating.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM

264 posts, read 493,335 times
Quote:
If you've got a point there I missed it.
R not worth the point pinhead

Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,775 times
Quote:
That's the problem, I don't agree with your premise. People (usually buy-gold doomsday Alex Jones types) have been predicting the crash of the dollar for years, and right along with their hyperinflation prediction it just doesn't seem to pan out. The dollar looked weaker for awhile and this crowd was falling all over themselves in giddy joy but hey it popped back up so it's back to predicting that some day they'll be right.

Meanwhile I'll work less on theories of drastic upheaval and maintain an appropriate asset-mix of stocks and bonds that I hope will get me to retirement early and successfully.

Good luck everyone one, I hope whatever path for success you choose works out.

Well, here is my case in point for buying and holding Gold/Siver in this Super Secular Long Term Bull Market.

I started buying Gold again in 1999 and accumulated a considerable amount as a main Core position.
My purchase costs were from $44 to $88 per ounce. Average cost was $63 per ounce.
Now 10 years later the total value is based on $1256 per ounce.

$1256.00 Divided by $63 = 19.93 times .. minus 1 time for the original $63 = 18.93 times it has doubled my original investment of $63.
Thats 1893% in 10 years or 189% per year.

Even with the Bubble in the S&P 500 over the same time frame, look at where your total % profit/loss is as of Last Friday.

Results speak for themself.

The Naysayers can go ahead and Poo Poo all they want, but I bet they would give a pretty penny to trade me straight across.

There is an old saying you know ... Shoulda .. Woulda .. Coulda.

The precious metals have there ups and downs, but the "Trend is Whats Important" and the trend is still raging Upward for the forseeable future.

The Key ingredient is ...............................PATIENCE.

If you don't have it ... well then TOO BAD.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Blue View Post
R not worth the point pinhead
I still don't get it. You posted a chart, I was asking how it's relevant to the discussion, and you throw out some pinhead comment. If you want to participate in a discussion that's fine you have to clarify your position though, if not what's the point?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Well, here is my case in point for buying and holding Gold/Siver in this Super Secular Long Term Bull Market.
I'm certainly not discounting your success with gold since 1999, I'm just taking issue with the claim it's a good buy now. Someone could be posting about how well their tech stocks did in 2001, they weren't wrong but NASDAQ wasn't a good buy at the time unless you were shorting it.

Good luck, I hope you do well with your investments.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Blue View Post
Would you turn in your Gold to the government if they decided to confiscate it, like in 1933?

People do not trust the gov as they did decades ago. No one will get in line or answer the door when they come looking for the gold. Any taken would have to be legally purchased at current value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics