Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,403,646 times

Advertisements

My friend was speculating that as a result of this crisis, there's going to be a new underclass of (former) professional people, mostly over 40, who will never recover financially from being laid off. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:08 PM

630 posts, read 1,875,180 times
There are many people who lived extravagantly in the past,on the assumption of continued affluence.Financing any income shortfalls (kids college,credit card bills,etc.) through home equity withdrawals or refinancing.Now,the job is gone,the youth is gone,and the home is going or gone.40+ people can possibly recover,but only if they immediately change their lifestyles,MUCH easier said than done.As for the 50+ crowd,only the very talented few will be able to recover.JMHO

Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
My friend was speculating that as a result of this crisis, there's going to be a new underclass of (former) professional people, mostly over 40, who will never recover financially from being laid off. What do you think?
It is not just former professionals, it is a whole generation. Gen-X will be hurt the most and once they start to recover they will be paying the bills for their elders excesses.

Read the Fourth Turning Amazon.com: The Fourth Turning (9780767900461): William Strauss, Neil Howe: Books it talks about the coming crisis era and how it will affect various generations. It was written in 1998 and now reads like a newspaper.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I also recommend The Fourth Turning. Excellent read on how even generations are cyclic in line with history and economies. He goes into how history is cyclic rather than linear and it sure does make the mark as he compares the highs, the lows and the wars with generations.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
The underclass is here and all around us-- they just don't know they're the underclass yet. They think they're still middle-class because their credit cards haven't been cut off yet. They cover all age groups and educational levels. But if you're a 29 year-old college graduate who lives with mom and dad because you don't have a job and no reasonable prospects of finding one, then you're part of this new underclass. If you're 55 or 60 and you've been unemployed for three years and you're about to finish off what used to be your 401k, you're in the new underclass.

I'm more than a little tired of smug moralizing by people who think they're ants, lording it over people they think are grasshoppers. Most people didn't save for the last 20 years because they spent and borrowed to maintain the middle-class lifestyle they thought they had earned by virtue of education and dedication to work. Hell, it would have been damn close to unpatriotic NOT to spend-- and the economy is going to continue to suffer because people are finally not spending, and 70% of the economy is consumer spending.

But go ahead and believe that you can John Galt your way to riches, and vote for politicians who will tell you what you want to hear but represent those who bought them, at bargain-basement prices.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Hell, it would have been damn close to unpatriotic NOT to spend-- and the economy is going to continue to suffer because people are finally not spending, and 70% of the economy is consumer spending.
It's patriotic to save. By becoming a spend-crazy country that bought more than we produced, we've created massive trade imbalances with countries like China and OPEC nations like Saudi Arabia. When we save, we keep capital that can be invested domestically and we reduce our reliance on foreign parties.

U.S. savings rate falls to zero - MSN Money
U.S. Savings Rate Falls to Depression-Era Levels: Chart of Day - Bloomberg
Personal savings drop to a 73-year low - Business - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Yes, but when we have a tax system that completely rewards spending and completely punishes saving, then what do you expect people to do? If consumption were taxed much more relative to income, I don't think we would have seen as much debt-financed consumption.

Add that to the cheap money policies of the Federal Reserve, and you can see why we've become a nation of spenders.

Now, of course, the American people are ultimately responsible in the sense that they elected these fools who wrote our tax code and appointed yet more fools to run our banking system

Old 07-03-2010, 06:38 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,403,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's patriotic to save. economy - msnbc.com
The problem now is that you can't get a good rate of return on a CD anymore. Do you want to risk putting it in the stock market. And if we have inflation, will those savings be worth as much?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,575 times
Quote:
This is such an interesting question... and my husband and I were just having this talk. Short answer, "Yes". We are mid-40's and don't see ourselves ever fully recovering. We look at our parent's generation... neither of our fathers had college degrees, yet had houses paid for by the time they were 50. Our moms stayed home to raise children. They are receiving their Social Security, which we are paying into, but may never see ourselves. They were able to build wealth from their homes because they stayed put in their jobs; now our society is so mobile. Even with graduate degrees, our generation cannot seem to accrue wealth and financial security. For some, it's because they did live above their means; but not all of us.
We never received help with college or anything... we were raised with the idea that once you are 18, you are on your own. However, we DID pay for college for our kids, weddings, cars, etc., only alot of our kids' generation is boomer-anging back home because they can't find jobs! So, it feels like we are paying for our own lives and those of our children... plus, now our parents are getting older and we think about how it will soon be time to take care of them.
Sometimes it seems our generation is the "filling" in the sandwich being squeezed. I don't see the word "retirement" as a word in our vocabulary. I guess if we would have kicked our kids to the curb after high school, we'd have more saved, too. Is it different generational expectations?
I might add, we don't put big expenses on credit cards and have no line of home equity... heck, we don't even have home equity because of all the foreclosures around us! We don't/didn't live above our means, but I think what's making it hard is being between the boomers and the young adult generation. To top it off, it couldn't be a worse time in our lives to have the economy collapse. Anyone else out there in this group?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
The problem now is that you can't get a good rate of return on a CD anymore. Do you want to risk putting it in the stock market. And if we have inflation, will those savings be worth as much?
those are very good points. I do think the market is undervalued now after the recent selloff, and instead of putting extra cash I need (By extra, I mean cash that I won't need for at LEAST 6 months) into CDs, I've been either keeping it in cash, or buying solid blue-chips with dividends when the market panics (like it did recently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics