Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times

Advertisements

Look N, you seem sincere, but . . .

btw, we are doing house shopping in Keller this weekend . .

OK, you seem sincere, but . . .

If this were to pay down the debt, the .gov would just be back-filling more debt in faster than you can bail it out. Sorry just the way it is. Even if it came with a No More Deficits Law -- still would not matter, because crooks would do the same crooked stunts as Bush and R's did by running the Endless Wars [tm] off the books and rolling them straight into debt.

Ever deal with a drunk or junkie? You cannot wish or want them off their problems no matter how hard you try. They Have to Hit Their Own Bottom FIRST. US aint there, yet. We still have some serious sh1t-sandwich eating ahead before we hit bottom and can grow up.

Sorry, but just the way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Look N, you seem sincere...
I do??? I was going for sarcastic and fatalistic. No, really, I think it's totally unworkable and monumentally unrealistic... but so is every other outcome in the long run. Like I said, just a thought experiment, meant to facilitate discussion.
Quote:
Ah, very nice. It's a good little town although I have a dream that they'll send that train underground. I'll be the courteous motorcyclist wearing the red and black jacket on the very quiet little blue bike.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
A typical slave class proposition that has no idea what the real problem is.

1. The dollar is a debt currency. We cannot pay off the national debt unless we want to use sea shells.
2. We could pay off the national debt tomorrow. Its easy. Ask me how.
3. You can't pay off a trade deficit.
4. You actually need to stop the spending, not pay off the debt. In real terms its what share of the resource government consumes NOW. Debt is only a book keeping concern.
5. We would just spend more since we are collecting more taxes.
6. The additional tax would kill even more of the economy.

I could go on.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Look N, you seem sincere, but . . .

OK, you seem sincere, but . . .

If this were to pay down the debt, the .gov would just be back-filling more debt in faster than you can bail it out. Sorry just the way it is. Even if it came with a No More Deficits Law -- still would not matter, because crooks would do the same crooked stunts as Bush and R's did by running the Endless Wars [tm] off the books and rolling them straight into debt.

Ever deal with a drunk or junkie? You cannot wish or want them off their problems no matter how hard you try. They Have to Hit Their Own Bottom FIRST. US aint there, yet. We still have some serious sh1t-sandwich eating ahead before we hit bottom and can grow up.

Sorry, but just the way I see it.
Hi Philip T,

If there were no deficits the only way to expand the money supply to avoid a depression would be business and consumer debt...back to Sumer we go.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Some are talking about instituting a wealth tax of 1% a year. So if you are a retiree with $100,000 in savings, you would pay $1000 a year (and less as you use up that money).

Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Philip T,

If there were no deficits the only way to expand the money supply to avoid a depression would be business and consumer debt...back to Sumer we go.
Hi gwynedd1,

Have not seen around for a while. I trust all has been well?

Actually I am with you -- as far as the Debt = (our) money.

Path we are looking at out is to just use less and less money.

Food, fuel, housing, on and on . . . produced -- not "bought."

Amish America -- here we come.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I do??? I was going for sarcastic and fatalistic. No, really, I think it's totally unworkable and monumentally unrealistic... but so is every other outcome in the long run. Like I said, just a thought experiment, meant to facilitate discussion.
Ok. Cool by me. I was just getting tired of the rude and hostile You-Is-Stupit routines around here.

Quote:
Ah, very nice. It's a good little town although I have a dream that they'll send that train underground. I'll be the courteous motorcyclist wearing the red and black jacket on the very quiet little blue bike.
Ok on that, too. Dunno about the train part . . . yet . . . I guess.

Quiet bikes are good, too. We talking pedally kind or murdercycle kind?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
The 1% would become 2% then 5% then 20%. It would never end. And when people reach their max threshold on certain numbers like people do the income tax, they just create another tax to continue reaching into the pocket.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The 1% would become 2% then 5% then 20%. It would never end. And when people reach their max threshold on certain numbers like people do the income tax, they just create another tax to continue reaching into the pocket.
Are you questioning the power of the trustees?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Ok on that, too. Dunno about the train part . . . yet . . . I guess.
There's been a quiet zone debacle for four years and counting...
Quote:
Quiet bikes are good, too. We talking pedally kind or murdercycle kind?
With engine. I used to use it for everything except when I was carrying another person, or buying groceries, or in inclement weeather, but increasingly I use it everywhere. I consider myself a Keller "fixture." Hard to argue with 65 miles per gallon even with E10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics