Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
See, that's the whole problem with the Dave Ramsey zombies. They can't comprehend the responsible use of credit. They see "living within your means" and "having credit" as two mutually exclusive principles.

Well, they're not.

It's actually kind of sad that Ramsey prays on the financially downtrodden and instead of teaching them the correct way to operate in the financial markets, he effectively turns them into lemmings and starts them on a march to financial suicide.
Problem is it seems that a LOT of people DO have problems with the use of credit.

So it IS probably better that people do not have as much or any.

But you can choose to have it,that is your business.

Although you do seem to think anyone thinking differently than you is wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They don't have a cell phone.
They don't eat out.
They don't have cable.
They buy used cars, used clothing, used furniture, used appliances, etc.
They use the interent at work or the library.
They shop at discount clubs and/or always buy generic.
They don't buy junk food, soda, or candy.
Etc, etc, etc...
Is this supposedly sarcasm?

The only difference between using cash and credit is you actually have to count your money when paying for an item,instead of simply swiping a card.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Big deal. Dave Ramsey says that FICO scores are meanlingless, it's an "I love debt" score.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Big deal. Dave Ramsey says that FICO scores are meanlingless, it's an "I love debt" score.
Well in a way your FICO score is a measure of how mush debt you can carry,not how much you are worth.

Of course as with almost everything in this country,it is a competition to see who has the best score....

Not sure why being able to be in debt more is anything to be proud of...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Is this supposedly sarcasm?

The only difference between using cash and credit is you actually have to count your money when paying for an item,instead of simply swiping a card.
No...it was an answer to the question about how people are supposed to 'make it' without going into debt. Read much (now that's sarcasm)?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...it was an answer to the question about how people are supposed to 'make it' without going into debt. Read much (now that's sarcasm)?
Why would a person need to forego ANY of that if they paid cash instead of using credit?

I do believe you can still pay with cash,perhaps some people simply do not HAVE any cash but instead exist off credit???

Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Why would a person need to forego ANY of that if they paid cash instead of using credit?

I do believe you can still pay with cash,perhaps some people simply do not HAVE any cash but instead exist off credit???
I think the point is that none of those things are necessities and could/should be cut from the budget rather than relying on credit month to month. Understanding the difference between wants and needs (and properly prioritizing) is key to being able to stay out of debt.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM

I thought the key was having less going out than is coming in...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
I thought the key was having less going out than is coming in...
Ah...we're both talking about the same thing. When so many people confuse wants with needs they may think it impossible to do....as previous poster stated.

Quote:
I know some people manage to stay out of debt but in this day and age I really don't know how.
It's not that hard...live on less than you earn and bank the rest for future needs. If you can afford some of the 'wants' as well then that's gravy.
We've managed to stay out of debt for a decade and will continue to do so. Well, except for the house which is a debt even Dave Ramsey's plan accommodates...but that debt will be gone in a year. *Happy Dance*

Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
See, that's the whole problem with the Dave Ramsey zombies. They can't comprehend the responsible use of credit. They see "living within your means" and "having credit" as two mutually exclusive principles.

Well, they're not.

It's actually kind of sad that Ramsey prays on the financially downtrodden and instead of teaching them the correct way to operate in the financial markets, he effectively turns them into lemmings and starts them on a march to financial suicide.
Sorry but I dont know who Dave Ramsey is, I'm fully aware that the two are different but MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION DOES NOT. That's great you are in the small percentage that realizes the value of both but when people don't .. they get themselves in trouble. If everyone thought like you did.. we wouldnt be in this predicament.. but people were raised these days that if they had room on their credit card and could pay the minimum only, they could buy whatever they want. My parents had credit cards and used them, they just paid in full at the end of the month or paid cash. People don't get it.. unfortunately some need to hit rock bottom to learn... just be glad you are one of the smart ones,some only learn the hard way when it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics