Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Those getting an "average wage" are not outliers, those getting a good or great wage ARE outliers.
Not really, but I suppose it depends on how you define "great wage".

Quote:
The problem is, the "average wage", about 41k, is hardly liveable in most of the country.
I could live just fine on $41k in most areas of the country, in fact I can do it here in the Los Angeles area.

Quote:
...Alabama, 41k isnt getting you more then a small apartment in a questionable area, with mostly just the basics and very little to no savings.
Someone could afford a decent apartment in a decent area in most of Southern California, if you go inland they can afford a house. Most Americans seem to have an odd notion of "basics", iphones, full-cable packages, etc are not basics. Someone in this area could afford "the basics" and still have a good $400~$500 to save each month. But the cost of living here is well above the national average, someone living in say a Texan city would likely have a good $700~$800 extra a month and it gets a lot cheaper than Texas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
The median Orlando home price is about 240k, and the median rent is about 1,000. So, the median house is completely out of the price range of 40k guy, and the median rent would strap him badly.
Where the heck are you getting your data? The median sales price for a house in Orlando is around $100 K. Even the nicer neighborhoods are in the $160-200 K range

Doctor Phillips, Orlando average and median listing prices - Trulia.com

A $40 K salary is VERY doable in Orlando. The general rule of thumb is that you can afford a house that is 4-5x your salary. With mortgage rates as low as they are now, it's probably even higher than that.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
A $40 K salary is VERY doable in Orlando. The general rule of thumb is that you can afford a house that is 4-5x your salary. With mortgage rates as low as they are now, it's probably even higher than that.
The general rule is 3x salary, 4~5x would be a burden. Your front end ratio should be below 30%.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Where the heck are you getting your data? The median sales price for a house in Orlando is around $100 K. Even the nicer neighborhoods are in the $160-200 K range

Doctor Phillips, Orlando average and median listing prices - Trulia.com

I agree. Now, if you have a big family with lots of other expenses, it would be tight, but as a single person you can live more than comfortably AND afford Disney annual pass.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
The problem is, the "average wage", about 41k, is hardly liveable in most of the country.
That's like $2710 after taxes and medical coverage here!

I pay $925 for mortgage/prop tax/insurance on a brand new $136K house. My electric is around $70/month and water/trash is $35/month. Phone/TV/internet is $130/month. Car insurance is $58/month and motorcycle insurance is $6/month. I spend about $40/month on gasoline.

And that is about it. If I made $41K/year (I actually make around $65K/year and bring home $4000/month) all of the above would leave me with around $1446/month for food, short term savings, retirement, buying things, and entertainment. Granted, I have no debt, no car payment, no kids, etc.

But am I such an outlier that $41K would be "hardly livable" for "most of the country" while it's more than enough here? My salary is pretty typical amongst people I know in my age range. I just don't see that we're suffering through some kind of horrible down-waging.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I guess I should feel grateful... I'm making about three times as much as those jobs and I'm still struggling to get my bills paid and family raised.

That's where our country is going though... a few special folks at top and a rather large peasantry making up the bulk of the population. The future looks bright...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I guess I should feel grateful... I'm making about three times as much as those jobs and I'm still struggling to get my bills paid and family raised.

That's where our country is going though... a few special folks at top and a rather large peasantry making up the bulk of the population. The future looks bright...
So you're making around 120K and can't survive? That's scary...I don't even want to make that much. I can't imagine how stressed you are and how many hours you work...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
So you're making around 120K and can't survive? That's scary...I don't even want to make that much. I can't imagine how stressed you are and how many hours you work...
Where did you learn to do math? 10 (dollars an hour) X 3 = 30 bucks an hour...

...working 40 hours a week equals 4800 an month, or about 58K a year.

I would be very happy trying to survive with double my income though, so I like your math better. How do I get my employer to figure like that?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:

A low six-figure salary isn't peasantry. It's not rich, but it isn't peasantry.

Quote:
Where did you learn to do math? 10 (dollars an hour) X 3 = 30 bucks an hour...

...working 40 hours a week equals about 58K a year.

I would be very happy trying to survive with double my income though, so I like your math better. How do I get my employer to figure like that?
we were talking about $41 k a year and then you said you made 3x that amount.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
A low six-figure salary isn't peasantry. It's not rich, but it isn't peasantry.

we were talking about $41 k a year and then you said you made 3x that amount.
I was talking about the article and what those people in the article made vs myself... But now that we undersand each other we can all hug and be friends, m'kay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics