Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Solar again needs some significant technology jumps. At the moment with solar when you compare the costs of panels and maintenance, it takes decades to get your money back and break even and that outlasts how long the panels will actually survive. Solar in our lifetimes will only ever been a supplement and in places like where I live, pretty useless for much of the year.

Wind isn't reliable either as Denmark has found out, with coal fired plants still running the same they did before. Wind again is a supplement but not a savior.

People say well I'll rig up a bunch of solar panels and wind turbines at my house and I'll run my electric car off of that. Well go ahead, but to me spending a $100K at a minimum on all that junk doesn't make much sense.
If you actually want to learn something of the topic . . . . Solar THERMAL (not PV / Photovoltaic) is the long-term trend leader for renewable electrical generation.

Here are a couple of backgrounders.

Solar thermal energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ausra – Technology – Industrial-Scale Solar Thermal Energy. Now. (http://ausra.com/technology/ - broken link)

YouTube - Tessera Solar and Stirling Energy Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
If you actually want to learn something of the topic . . . . Solar THERMAL (not PV / Photovoltaic) is the long-term trend leader for renewable electrical generation.

Here are a couple of backgrounders.

Solar thermal energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ausra – Technology – Industrial-Scale Solar Thermal Energy. Now. (http://ausra.com/technology/ - broken link)

YouTube - Tessera Solar and Stirling Energy Systems
Yes I have seen something similar in Spain and it has turned out to be a boondoggle with tons of costs and maintenance. We are not going to have millions of these things that will power the energy needs for cars everyday. And like up north where the sun might shine for a few hours a day, pretty useless, especially with these expensive mirrors getting hammered by snow and ice all the time.

So great if people can do that but we need to think about rational, realistic stuff that is going to power cars for 305 million people. Things that work already. Natural gas and ethanol are two that are already out there around the world working and quite well. The technology doesn't require any drastic changes, it's usable and readily available.

And despite all the panic, the world isn't running out of oil anytime soon.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
It is running out of the "easy-to-find" oil. BP wasn't out drilling 5000 ft below sea level in the gulf because it was fun.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:

Electric cars have been around since the car was "invented" in 1885. There was some significant production of electric cars in the early 20th century. They never caught on for these practical reasons and still haven't.

And besides where does all this electricity come from? The electrical grid is out of date, the neoconfusionists lead by barack obama are opposed to building new power plants, so where does it come from?

Moot point. Electric cars, like many technologies, have been a while, but it just so happens throughout much of that time ICE engines and oil have been an easier technology to use. We just go withever's cheapest at the time. When oil becomes cost-prohibitive, we move onto something else and the paradigm shifts. Solar power has been around I believe since 1954, but there hasn't been much economic incentive to research/use solar PV until very recently.

Where does all this electricity come from? I told you.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It is running out of the "easy-to-find" oil. BP wasn't out drilling 5000 ft below sea level in the gulf because it was fun.
Completely agree. Anadarko Petroleum recently drilled a well very close to my ranch property in West Texas. The depth according to the drilling permit is 16000 feet. That's 3 miles.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It will not effect oil much because we are not the growing market demand for oil. Its the emerging economies where the great demand is in growth.We are becoming a refining oil business country more and more. Doing so cheaper is what is happening. Looking at refining what we see is single refineries being expanded to double output with only 20% more employees. Any refinery not being expanded for better effciency is in danger of being torndown.Those are likely ones that are not on the coast because of future supplies coming from imports. The other factor si the new pipelines to carry sand tars from canada to texas coast where the new expanded refieries are designed to porcesss it. Then we see more terminals for off loading ships form places like Saudi.More of teh profit has to come from refining and not the crude in teh future and that means cutting cost.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It will not effect oil much because we are not the growing market demand for oil. Its the emerging economies where the great demand is in growth.
True, but we are still a large net importer of oil

Quote:
More of teh profit has to come from refining and not the crude in teh future and that means cutting cost.
Refining can be a tough business if oil prices are volatile. Refiners got killed when oil prices escalated back in 2008. If the economy gets back on track, oil prices will increase again and could hurt refiners' margins.

Higher oil prices slash Exxon Mobil refining profits, 2009 income the lowest in 7 years

Gas prices low, but refiners lose money | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Yes I have seen something similar in Spain and it has turned out to be a boondoggle with tons of costs and maintenance. We are not going to have millions of these things that will power the energy needs for cars everyday.
Never heard me claim Spain was exactly a model of engineering and economics genius.

Really does not take some million of "power tower" models. But the real math is that a relatively small chunk of S. California, Arizona, New Mexico or West Texas can produce enough Solar Thermal Electric power to run the whole country. Houses, Business, Cars and all. We will share.

Quote:
And like up north where the sun might shine for a few hours a day, pretty useless, especially with these expensive mirrors getting hammered by snow and ice all the time.
Never heard me recommend staying up North for the Winter, either. But Summer sun time in the North is even longer than the South.

Quote:
So great if people can do that but we need to think about rational, realistic stuff that is going to power cars for 305 million people. Things that work already. Natural gas and ethanol are two that are already out there around the world working and quite well. The technology doesn't require any drastic changes, it's usable and readily available.
Just swap out 3% a year, and we could be completely past Oil in 30 to 40 years. Probably faster, as we tend to adopt changes faster than in the past.

Quote:
Just we do not have it.

And we are running out money.

I know. Just print more.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Yesterday I saw some projections on TV that by 2015 we will have 500,000 electric cars on the road. If this happens, how will it affect the price of oil?
Don't know about oil...but watch your electricity rates skyrocket....unfortunately that lunch is not free

Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Brammo Empulse: electric parity - Hell For Leather

The first production, available to the public, real ELECTRIC sportbike was revealed today, and it's an absolute beauty! I think this bike will make history in a way. It will be looked back on as the bike that changed everything. 100+ mile range and 100+ mph (and 0-60 in about 4 seconds). No shifting/clutching, instant on/no warm up time, zero engine maintenance, no trips to the gas station, nearly silent operation... Outstanding brakes, suspension, frame, and wheels and tires. Aggressive riding position and plenty of cornering clearance. 390 pound curb weight. Beautiful, minimalistic looks. Low center of gravity. 55 HP and massive 59 lb-ft of torque! Fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics