Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Here is the trends that I see occuring:

1. The wal-martization of retail.

The bulk of retail sales will take place at wal-mart style stores since they have lower costs compared to others. These stores import most of their goods from foreign countries. Businesses will no longer manufacture goods in the USA. Instead they will source their production to China (or similar foreign nations) to build the goods. The goods will then be put on a ship and sent to the USA.

2. The disappearance of, "traditional" employment.

By traditional employment I mean 40 hours/week with some basic benefits like 401k, health insurance so on so forth. The new jobs will be low level service jobs making 8-10/hr but no consistent hours and no benefits. Managers/supervisors will be very few and only make 1-2 more over the base rate.

3. More foreign businesses.

Businesses in foreign countries will start to play a more significant role in the USA. These companies will have their headquarters in a foreign nation (with lower overhead costs). Most of the revenue will flow out of the USA.

4. Loss of innovation reputation

Companies that are heavy in R&D will shift more efforts to lower cost, higher educated nations. Silicon valley and other USA tech hubs will see significant competition from abroad.

5. Growth of domestic sole-proprietorships and other small businesses

As people begin to realize that the traditional job market (ie. the ability to move up fast and make lots of money) is basically non-existent people will turn to the only option they have: self-employment. These business won't be started with innovative ideas hoping to make lots of money. Instead these businesses will focus on selling services that would normally be done by a traditional employee. For example, a former administrative assistant would start a small business selling administrative assistant services. These types of business will flourish because the business hiring the services no longer has a employer-employee relationship. Instead its a business to business relationship (ie. less liability for the business).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Interesting thread, thanks OP.

This makes sense, chain stores are more efficient so I see no reason for them to not continuing expanding.

I don't really see this happening, there are tens of millions of jobs in finance, education, engineering, IT, healthcare, government, law, sales, construction, transportation, etc. that I don't see all becoming $8-$10 hour service jobs.

As more and more nations enter the information age and their economies evolve we'll certainly see more foreign business. I'm not sure if you're just referring to imports of products or not.

I don't see this happening, as I don't think payroll is your big cost in R&D like in other areas, plus the better business climate for innovation and the overwhelming majority of top research schools being in the US.

I think this relies on a premise I disagree with (from item #2) I think there is and still will be plenty of opportunity to make a good living with a regular job.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Mom & Pop stores are/were way overrated. Walmart offers medical, dental, 401k. Mom & pop offered very high prices, no benefits, no selection. The "old days" in many ways were better, but this so-called Wal-martization of the economy is an improvemnt over the past IMO. I agree in large measue with your other concerns for the future of the economy.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-26-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

The bulk of retail sales will take place at wal-mart style stores since they have lower costs compared to others. These stores import most of their goods from foreign countries. Businesses will no longer manufacture goods in the USA. Instead they will source their production to China (or similar foreign nations) to build the goods. The goods will then be put on a ship and sent to the USA.

By traditional employment I mean 40 hours/week with some basic benefits like 401k, health insurance so on so forth. The new jobs will be low level service jobs making 8-10/hr but no consistent hours and no benefits. Managers/supervisors will be very few and only make 1-2 more over the base rate.

Businesses in foreign countries will start to play a more significant role in the USA. These companies will have their headquarters in a foreign nation (with lower overhead costs). Most of the revenue will flow out of the USA.

Companies that are heavy in R&D will shift more efforts to lower cost, higher educated nations. Silicon valley and other USA tech hubs will see significant competition from abroad.

As people begin to realize that the traditional job market (ie. the ability to move up fast and make lots of money) is basically non-existent people will turn to the only option they have: self-employment. These business won't be started with innovative ideas hoping to make lots of money. Instead these businesses will focus on selling services that would normally be done by a traditional employee. For example, a former administrative assistant would start a small business selling administrative assistant services. These types of business will flourish because the business hiring the services no longer has a employer-employee relationship. Instead its a business to business relationship (ie. less liability for the business).

Let’s hope so to keep getting basic goods cheaper. We will also see craftsmanship comeback and some people will make a living from creating unique goods at premium prices.

The next wave is moving from service jobs to experience jobs, our job will be much more creative and entertaining to others.

That is happening big time now and will continue.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I actually agree with you.

It kind of reminds me of communism. It all makes sense if you take it step by step reaping some of the benefits....until the whole big picture pops up and everyone wonders what in the heck were they thinking when they accepted step one.

I don't know at this point if there is any way to 'fix it'. I think most people will figure out how to survive a new kind of economy without a lot of the frills and excess. Maybe in the simplification, we will learn how to be real friends and neighbors again enjoying the simpler things of life. But from now till then, we've got a few really hard years ahead of us as individuals.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I actually agree with you.

It kind of reminds me of communism. It all makes sense if you take it step by step reaping some of the benefits....until the whole big picture pops up and everyone wonders what in the heck were they thinking when they accepted step one.

I don't know at this point if there is any way to 'fix it'. I think most people will figure out how to survive a new kind of economy without a lot of the frills and excess. Maybe in the simplification, we will learn how to be real friends and neighbors again enjoying the simpler things of life. But from now till then, we've got a few really hard years ahead of us as individuals.
I think those who have already had to will be fortunate. It is *hard* when you first hit that big hard place to figure it out. But when you do, you can live on less regardless of the situation because you know how. And you know that someday, no matter how good it seems now, you could be back there. So you take care.

I think one of the most important things you can every learn is that no matter how stable and good and dependable life can be it CAN all be gone in sixty seconds and when you do, you will never see life the same.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

Let’s hope so to keep getting basic goods cheaper. We will also see craftsmanship comeback and some people will make a living from creating unique goods at premium prices.

The next wave is moving from service jobs to experience jobs, our job will be much more creative and entertaining to others.

That is happening big time now and will continue.
That's an interesting viewpoint.
I also see bartering coming back in vogue...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,340 times
"4. Loss of innovation reputation". This is a strong sign of poverty; I hope that we won't see it happening too soon in the U.S.A.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

).
1. For better or for worse, Walmatization makes more products available and more affordable to more people. You decide if that's bad or good.

2. Employment has been changing since the dawn of time. Just because it was a certain way for 100 years doesn't mean that's the way it's always supposed to be. 100 years isn't a very long time in the scheme of things.

3. As long as our government makes it difficult to do business here, this will only thrive.

4. As long as the majority of our culture places less importance on being a nerd and more on being a glorified showboater, this will also continue to happen.

5. This is good - people who can adapt and change will survive and do well.

Change is often hard, but it's also often very good.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. For better or for worse, Walmatization makes more products available and more affordable to more people. You decide if that's bad or good.
I agree. People who complain about how expensive it is to get by shouldn't complain about Walmart. If it weren't for Walmart and the like, they'd be shopping at thrift shops and Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics