Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a bank account?
Yes 100 95.24%
No 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - Grandma stuffing money under the mattress isn't the only one living outside the banking system.

As many as 28 million people in the United States are forgoing traditional financial institutions because of mistrust, cultural and language barriers or a belief that by the time all the bills are paid there will be nothing left for an account.

That can be expensive and risky. People can run up big fees to cash checks, pay bills and meet their other financial needs. Walking around with large amounts of cash can make them a target for thieves.

The bankless are estimated to earn hundreds of billions of dollars a year in income. Seeing a business opportunity, banks are trying to draw in these potential customers. So, too, are check-cashing businesses and retailers, including Wal-Mart.

Many in U.S. don't have bank accounts - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 02:53 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
You know the only way to build trust with lenders is to have a bank account among other things but we are now finding out that many banking institutions have been selling our private information to third party entities. I've always heard theres no such thing as a free meal, maybe its about time they start charging for things like checking and bring us back to reality. Identity theft is real not free checking.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
having worked as director in a banking/call center I would say Grandma wasnt stupid.

Exchange of information is being done- there are invasions of privacy happening these days; Deposting cash today some banks ask for a drivers license (I was depositing to my husbands acct) Must be the Patriot Act or something.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:17 PM

138 posts, read 979,161 times
I don't think the Amish people have bank accounts. My buddy in north eastern Ohio, said he goes to many auctions and watches Amish people drop many tens-of-thousands of dollars, at land auctions. Sometimes $200,000 or more. They bring cash with them.

Does anybody know who the Amish operate ? And are they required to pay any local, state or federal taxes ?

The Amish people have a lot of qualities, that I admire. They live a simple life. I just couldn't do manual labor all the time, with a beard like that. That would bug me, more than anything. Also, Air-Conditioning, the Internet and warm showers, are a nice things to have.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM

138 posts, read 979,161 times
I meant to say: Does anybody know HOW the Amish people operate ?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,113 times
From The Amish People & Their Lifestyle in Lancaster County, PA

"Self-employed Amish do not pay Social Security tax. Those employed by non-Amish employers do pay Social Security tax. The Amish do pay real estate, state and federal income taxes, county taxes, sales tax, etc.

The Amish do not collect Social Security benefits, nor would they collect unemployment or welfare funds. Self sufficiency is the Amish community's answer to government aid programs. Section 310 of the Medicare section of the Social Security act has a sub-section that permits individuals to apply for exemption from the self-employment tax if he is a member of a religious body that is conscientiously opposed to social security benefits but that makes reasonable provision of taking care of their own elderly or dependent members. The Amish have a long history of taking care of their own members. They do not have retirement communities or nursing homes; in most cases, each family takes care of their own, and the Amish community gives assistance as needed."

Old 06-24-2007, 06:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
The Amish have a long history of taking care of their own members. They do not have retirement communities or nursing homes; in most cases, each family takes care of their own, and the Amish community gives assistance as needed."

Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Too bad the rest of us have moved away from that. There is something to be said for taking care of our own. Including having many generations living under one roof.

We have several bank accounts. THANKFULLY. We've been the victim of identy thief and had we not had other accounts we would have been screwed while waiting on new debit cards, etc. Liz

Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Try a credit union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
We have several bank accounts. THANKFULLY. We've been the victim of identy thief and had we not had other accounts we would have been screwed while waiting on new debit cards, etc. Liz
My credit union has an instant-issue card machine. (NO waiting!!!)

Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
That would have worked had we been in the same STATE as our banks...we weren't. We are now in the same town as two out of three of them. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics