Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM

436 posts, read 907,689 times

Advertisements

i t seems the economic damage is extensive with debt levels we can never hope to pay and California is basically insolvent, are we in for some very tough times like we have never seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
I say yes, we are already in one but we won't admit it.

It's not gonna be the same though...it would be silly to assume it would be just like the first great depression, after all it is a totally different world and dynamic now than it was in the 1930s. Even the word "depression" is more or less undefined and open to interpretation. Still, I imagine that's how history will remember this decade.

Last edited by Chango; 08-06-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 PM

I wondering if we will see massive food lines, even shortages, rioting looting, massive urban crime where it turns into survival of the fittest. I think it will get pretty ugly as we can't even afford to keep criminals in prison, so they can get away with absolute murder.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
No, I highly doubt that we will see things like they were during the great depression.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No, I highly doubt that we will see things like they were during the great depression.
Why do you say that? I live in California and this state is in financial ruin, they are seriously talking about closing librarys, they have already shut down several schools, it is not looking good here.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
This is nothing. The current crisis is artificial and man made, the coming crisis is natural and irreversible.

Wait until oil prices soar (say $15 a gallon and higher), then wait another 30 years until we pass peak coal. People can do great just driving a smaller car, but no one wants to use half as much air conditioning or use a half sized refrigerator - but they will have to when there is no more cheap coal left.

All the world's civilizations will be pushed to the brink when the world runs out of cheap fossil fuels. The current 1st World lifestyle can not be satisfied with "renewable" energy, at least not at the current population level.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
No;this is nothing like the great depression. If it were none of us would be having interent becasue of the cost as a example.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM

I think it can get a lot worse and this is only the fringe, for starters how are we ever going to pay off this enormous debt? The U.S credit card will soon be cut up and nations we owe money are going to want to collect, we are on the verge of being insolvent where the dollar will be worth absolutely nothing, what is to stop all this from happening? Where is the money going to come from? America doesn't have a large manufacturing base like China.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM

817 posts, read 2,249,945 times
I don't think we are in for another "Great Depression."

But google the term "Long Depression." It occurred in the late 1800s and I think that it is a more close approximation to what we are going through now.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but this has been a long time coming. Decades of

1-Dumbing down of the populace
2-Bad governmental and business practices and policies, both fiscal and social
3-Being fat and happy with ourselves

have left us in this position and now we'll have to dig our way out of it.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
I wondering if we will see massive food lines, even shortages, rioting looting, massive urban crime where it turns into survival of the fittest. I think it will get pretty ugly as we can't even afford to keep criminals in prison, so they can get away with absolute murder.
We already have over 1 of 8 (or higher) of the population on Food Stamps. Is that not the modern Food Line?

Real unemployment numbers are well into double digits for most of the US.

The Banks would already be broke if they were not on Welfare and being allowed to operate with fake asset values of the devalued foreclosed property they are sitting on.

As far as folks in jail. We already have the highest rate of prisoners in the World. USA #1, eh? But a large number of them are just there for "War on Drugs" charges. No real social harm if they are in or out. Just part of the Prison Industry business.

But on we go with the Endless Wars, more weapons, bailouts for the Too-Big-To-Fail, and More Debt for US.

National Bankruptcy could be a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics