Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
which is good because we can't afford to put up anything other than a token resistance.
Sure we could.

For one thing the Chinese military has very limited power projection abilities, there is debate on whether they could even successfully occupy Taiwan which is a much smaller country right across the straits. Lots of guys, not a lot of ways to put them anywhere or maintain supply lines if they did.

Things could certainly change Chinese defense budget has been increasing but as of now the Chinese military isn't much of a threat to the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sure we could.

For one thing the Chinese military has very limited power projection abilities, there is debate on whether they could even successfully occupy Taiwan which is a much smaller country right across the straits. Lots of guys, not a lot of ways to put them anywhere or maintain supply lines if they did.

Things could certainly change Chinese defense budget has been increasing but as of now the Chinese military isn't much of a threat to the United States.
Exactly. They have the manpower but lack the navy and air power to make it stick. Until they have a navy to rival ours, they are a long way from being a "superpower".

However, as world history shows, sometimes rational behavior does not prevail and I'd never rule China out for anything. They are buying a lot of influence in Central Asia and Africa.

China has a lot of growing pains and internal issues, so they have a long way to go as a country.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Agreed, but China isn't stupid their rise an economic powerhouse is so closely tied/dependent on international trade the last thing they want is some world or large regional conflict that affects it.

They aren't like North Korea irrational where there is nothing to lose.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Sure we could.

I suspect this is true regarding the Chinese Navy. Another thing that is often overlooked is body armor. Regular infantry would charge into combat basically unarmored and this is a significant part of the reason why combat involving US military typically has such one-sided losses.

Do keep in mind, however, that China would not require carrier groups to project very significant power into any part of the Asian continent and that they do have a well trained, well equipped professional military who bring heavy armor, artillery and air support to the table. That would be a nightmare.

I'm not talking about an invasion of the lower 48. I'm talking about serious demonstrations of regional dominance in places that were once considered under direct U.S. influence. If the world economy hadn't bottomed out in 2008 I think we would have seen the Russians pushing pretty hard at the former Soviet states. As it is, they are in a leakier boat than we are.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Agreed, but China isn't stupid their rise an economic powerhouse is so closely tied/dependent on international trade the last thing they want is some world or large regional conflict that affects it.

They aren't like North Korea irrational where there is nothing to lose.
Yes that would be the rational thought, isn't it?

However a lot of these big wars that happen aren't all that rational. Look at WW1. That's about the dumbest war ever fought. All for nothing at all, absolutely nothing.

So I'm not saying China is looking to outright start conflicts, I'd just say they are out there and I've never rule out anything at all with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics