U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

2,175 posts, read 2,636,852 times

Advertisements

YOU need Wall Street.

Wall Street doesn't need YOU.

You are there to serve and enrich them. And if you have a problem with that, then too freaking bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Alright, compared to 10 years or go what of your important/major expenses has gone down.
The recession didn't start until 2007 and we have yet to see significant deflation so in comparison to 10 years ago prices are higher. That does not change the fact that right now inflation is almost zero and that prices in the near future may start to deflate.

Quote:
I took a 2 week trip in 2003 and with food, hotel, travel, and leisure activities cost me about $3,600. If I did that same trip now it would cost me at least $5,000.
This is nonsense. The travel industry, for obvious reasons, has been hit hard and they are in no position to raise prices. Do you seriously believe that hotels, etc can raise prices when vacancies are at historic highs? But perhaps you think the recession is imagined....

Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 AM

2,592 posts, read 4,893,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The recession didn't start until 2007 and we have yet to see significant deflation so in comparison to 10 years ago prices are higher. That does not change the fact that right now inflation is almost zero and that prices in the near future may start to deflate.

This is nonsense. The travel industry, for obvious reasons, has been hit hard and they are in no position to raise prices. Do you seriously believe that hotels, etc can raise prices when vacancies are at historic highs? But perhaps you think the recession is imagined....
I booked the whole vacation myself online at each individual hotel and everything. Every hotel I stayed at and car rental would be at least 1 1/5 times now compared to what I paid then. All I'm saying is that same vacation being apples to apples would be more expensive now...there isn't denying that. You would think with the recession that prices would be less now, but they simply are not.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,615,652 times
Quote:
I booked the whole vacation myself online at each individual hotel and everything. Every hotel I stayed at and car rental would be at least 1 1/5 times now compared to what I paid then. All I'm saying is that same vacation being apples to apples would be more expensive now...there isn't denying that. You would think with the recession that prices would be less now, but they simply are not.
I have experienced the complete opposite when booking my vacations the past two years. Which just says this is all 100% anecdotal.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,282,410 times
Quote:
Sorry, but hotels, car rentals, etc have not gone up 50% since 2003. You may have received some great special in 2003, but in general costs have not increased no where near that much.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM

4,727 posts, read 3,793,860 times
I think it's obvious to even the casual observer that our economic system has finally totally exposed it's worst side, that's to say we all know the Emperor has clothes, but, we also know he got them from the government. We can drown ourselves in stats that may or may not support the economic status quo but in the end it really falls to the masses to decide their own fate economically. Our nation is supposed to be unique in that we can change our entire political structure and therefor alter the economy in the process, failing to do this from time to time has the effect of allowing our government to become totally consumed by the forces it is supposed to regulate in our interest. Does anybody really think that the latest round of theft from that cabal of government/corporate thieves isn't enough to put us over the edge and begin to demand some real change? We are such chumps for the present system that it's no wonder the thieves became more bold, finally taking us all to the cleaners and then forcing us to pay for their failure to absorb the risks they took.

Our present situation doesn't translate well into a conversation about prices, or taxes or vacations, it's really just that we can now see the frail nature of the ponzi-capital construct we call our economy. You'd need to look at the totality of our economic history to get the idea of the magnitude of the government's role in this supposedly free market economy. We would have had a real admirable system had we insisted that the government be on our side rather than that of the merchant, laws that protect people instead of corporations would have done the trick. Most American's figure they really don't need to read much or think much for that matter, watching TV has supplanted the books that would have been instrumental in gaining the necessary knowledge to be the responsible citizen that democracies require.

We now have the paid for radio/TV shouters telling our young what to do and how to think, they got all the easy answers, including blaming their grandparents for the SS money that they are being told is draining their wealth and their chances of future economic survival. Quantitative easing? isn't that just another buzzword meaning that the upper classes and their puppets in DC are trying to mitigate the anger of those who they screwed? Using that phrase let's just say that the past sixty years have been a form of quantitative easing from the last screwing we, our parents, and grandparents, took in the thirties.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 AM

48,508 posts, read 89,030,814 times
I certainly have seen some great deals on vacation I took in the past. Compared to 2008 the are very cheap. Of course a person can dot eh same thing and pay alot more if they don't shop or find a deal. Same as you can pay MSRP for a car if you want. But that does mean that is the going price on things like this.Food has always been cheap i thsi country if you have traveled. Housing is also cheap compared to otehr weswtern nations especailly for the house you get. Vehiucles overall are also cheap to buy especailly when considering so mnay fees in other counries but that can vary by sate also.The ampunt of discrtonary spending from wages is also high i thsi coutnry. I would hate to see waht most americans would think of the direct and indirect tax brden i some coutnries if they were workig there. Even the noraml unemployemnt rate especailly for those under 30.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 AM

22,769 posts, read 27,933,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
YOU need Wall Street.

Wall Street doesn't need YOU.
that could not be more wrong.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,663,774 times
WHY MORE QE IS DESTINED TO FAIL | PRAGMATIC CAPITALISM

Another explanation of why QE will not work.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 AM

87,249 posts, read 84,660,960 times
and what if it does work????????????? will ya'all admit finally your not the great authorities on these subjects you think? it cracks me up when people post an article for or against something and the only out come the world can have is what they see and they argue with everyone else as to how their view is wrong .

well i say if your so sure bet the ranch on it. show us proof you committed all your money to that event happening your way.. short the market, or buy options on whay you say is the only way things can play out..... then ill consider you an authority when it pays off.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-16-2010 at 03:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics