Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

A bit of a side step to something an investment advisor once said to us.

He told us that America should be glad that there are so many illegals here because when the Boomers retire there won't be enough legal citizens to do all the work required.

How's that going so far? Anyone having trouble filling a job slot lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Its tough trying to find an american to deliver chinese food on a bicycle in the snow

Old 08-27-2010, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Its tough trying to find an american to deliver chinese food on a bicycle in the snow

perhaps for $X, yes. Pay them $Y and maybe they will, who knows.

i'm not a big fan of the "living wage" talk, in the context of a minimum wage.

however, one must acknowledge that easy credit has drastically increased the gap between those who own and those who earn. it really isn't about the wage itself, it is the buying power of that wage that stagnates, as oil/gas/rent/real estate/commodities skyrocket due to our easy credit policies and those willing to utilize it.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A bit of a side step to something an investment advisor once said to us.

He told us that America should be glad that there are so many illegals here because when the Boomers retire there won't be enough legal citizens to do all the work required.

How's that going so far? Anyone having trouble filling a job slot lately?
The oldest boomers are just beginning to retire. We will not see the full effect of what is happening until the late '10s at the earliest. The bulk of the generational shift will likely happen during the '20s.

About lazy millennials and their iPods at work...does anybody think these traits will be with them for life? Is it possible they may mature as they grow older and develop better work habits? Is it possible this recession will be a wake up call to them?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
About lazy millennials and their iPods at work...does anybody think these traits will be with them for life?
i don't see the boomers as harder workers than the millenials.

if you have data to support that claim, i'm all ears, but i don't want to hear your silly anecdotes about ipods. if you want to throw anecdotes around, i believe that millenials are far more productive and efficient than boomers due to our familiarity with technology and our access to large volumes of information at younger ages.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:34 PM

370 posts, read 440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

if you have data to support that claim, i'm all ears, but i don't want to hear your silly anecdotes about ipods. if you want to throw anecdotes around, i believe that millenials are far more productive and efficient than boomers due to our familiarity with technology and our access to large volumes of information at younger ages.

I dont get all the millenial bashing on some of these threads?(Im a GENXer by the way) IQ's are on average higher these days so maybe millenials can multitask better than the baby boomers? Theyre teaching elementary kids programming languages these days

Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I dont get all the millenial bashing on some of these threads?(Im a GENXer by the way) IQ's are on average higher these days so maybe millenials can multitask better than the baby boomers? Theyre teaching elementary kids programming languages these days
Millennial bashing is a staple of our boomer-oriented society. There is a huge generational divide.

YouTube - Millennials looking for Work OH MY! Part 1

I personally am appalled at the generalizations sociologists apply to the millennial generation. Not all millennials are lazy, entitled, spoiled brats who are glued to their ipods. The millennials that do fit the stereotype in my opinion are in for a wake up call in the real world and if they refuse to produce, they will go nowhere in life. For their entire lives, the millennial generation was indoctrinated by their school guidance counselors and parents that they could be or do anything they wanted in life and that college was a necessity. This recession is showing them that it is not the case and if they want to make something of themselves, they must work hard for it, and even then it just might not work out. Though the recession has smashed the dreams many millennials had of what they wanted for their lives, I believe they will be a more dependable, hard working, productive generation for having come of age during it.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
One thing that I no longer ever hear mentioned is the impending retirement of the baby boomers. By the late 2010s, millions of baby boomers will be approaching retirement age while at the same time the Milliennial generation will be entering their prime working age. Could this be what the economy needs? It seems as the baby boomers retire, more and more jobs will open up for younger generations to fill thus finally bringing down unemployment. I have even seen some websites predict labor shortages...i.e. unemployment well below 5% when this happens. Being that as of now, the main factor preventing economic recovery is the high unemployment rate, could it be that the generational shift from baby boomers to millennials/Generation X will end the recession/depression? I also would think a housing recovery may be possible as millennials who as of 2010 are by and large still living with their parents or in a college dorm will enter the housing market by 2019. Is this something to be optimistic about or will it cause unprecedented economic hardship? Thoughs?
I think a lot of boomers will not be able to retire as scheduled because they spent too much and expected their houses to fund their retirements. They will have to stay in the workforce longer, and will still be less well off in retirement than they planned to be.

As for housing, I think the trading down of the boomers on housing will put downward pressure on the housing market.

Those are my views. Housing prices should come down. They're too high and they're actually impoverishing us.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,137 times
Quote:

I personally am appalled at the generalizations sociologists apply to the millennial generation. Not all millennials are lazy, entitled, spoiled brats who are glued to their ipods. The millennials that do fit the stereotype in my opinion are in for a wake up call in the real world and if they refuse to produce, they will go nowhere in life. For their entire lives, the millennial generation was indoctrinated by their school guidance counselors and parents that they could be or do anything they wanted in life and that college was a necessity. This recession is showing them that it is not the case and if they want to make something of themselves, they must work hard for it, and even then it just might not work out. Though the recession has smashed the dreams many millennials had of what they wanted for their lives, I believe they will be a more dependable, hard working, productive generation for having come of age during it.
I think the squashing of millennials has almost been by design. I'm 32, so I've seen just about all of it.

-Consider. China opened up in 1978! When I was born. Millennials have had 20-30 years to learn about China (and growing foreign economies). But material that could impact millennials financial futures was curiously omitted in school.

Part of the lazy, entitled, spoiled brat stereotype comes from the lazy, entitled, spoiled culture millennials inherited from their k-12 education. School made them lazy. Because they didn't teach anything that could really impact their future. Self esteem and feel good subjects don't last. So the natural tendency is to recoil and be "lazy" (and work on subjects that they're interested in, like computers, the internet, their iphone). Or color their hair purple. Or listen to rap or emo music. And search for some kind of individuality. But they're "lazy". They're lazy if they don't go along with official school (and government) doctrine.

-Millennials have had more than enough time to gear up for the world economy. I cringe when I hear Obama or some other politican say we should be putting our kids in school longer. They already have a long year, 12 years.

The guidance counselors, etc weren't really looking at hard numbers. This kind of graph should have been ringing some alarm bells in the 90's, when I was in highschool. Teen employment had already been stagnating for 20 years. You'd think that'd be important. But they pull the switcheroo. Get you focusing on abstract college "success". And college application deadlines. When you should be looking at hard employment data and trends!

Working seniors outnumber teens in labor force - SFGate

Why didn't a chart like that make it to a highschool econ class? They wear kids down learning nonsense, but they omit the important stuff.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Large volumes of information...right. Yeah, info on things like "Buffy broke up with Joey because she saw him last night smooching with Candy, who left *her* boyfriend last week, and did you see the new bag that I got....".

Or those highly informational facebook posts: "Having my Chai tea right now; just painted the bathroom lime green; baby burped three times in a row for the first time at breakfast...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics