U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 06:30 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,553,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Many, many Boomers will "die in the saddle"--thanks to poor financial planning and "living it up," they can't afford to. Add to that the massive number of Boomers whose private or public pension plans are likely to go belly-up in the next few years, and you will have a massive number of Boomers that either will retire late or never retire at all.

The other factor adding to the problem is how pathetically unprepared many in the younger generation are to enter the workforce. They may be good at video games, but their ability to actually work efficiently, communicate coherently, and manage themselves competently (much less manage anyone or anything else) is sadly lacking compared to most of their older peers. In an economy that is not going to be creating very many new jobs for years, they are ill-prepared to compete for the available jobs with older, experienced workers--even if some of those "oldsters" are past their prime.
Well with so many boomers being in such poor financial shape you can't knock my generation, as the boomers certainly are not any good example, nor have they set the standard.

I've seen studies that show my X and Y generation are not only more educated, but more fiscally conservative in their politics as well. My generation has fought in Iraq and Afghanistan without complaint for almost 10 years now and considering the circumstances have done quite well. Unlike the boomers who were burning American flags and smoking dope and cuddling with commies back in the Vietnam era.

Whether the boomers want to work or not, in a lot of cases they wont be able to. For one thing they are already dying off and many of them can't keep up physically or mentally either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,407,562 times
Quote:
The other factor adding to the problem is how pathetically unprepared many in the younger generation are to enter the workforce. They may be good at video games, but their ability to actually work efficiently, communicate coherently, and manage themselves competently (much less manage anyone or anything else) is sadly lacking compared to most of their older peers. In an economy that is not going to be creating very many new jobs for years, they are ill-prepared to compete for the available jobs with older, experienced workers--even if some of those "oldsters" are past their prime.
As a 32 year old, I put the blame on these moronic "schools" (holding cells?) gen y was forced to go to. Gen y didn't get the right education even for a normal economy, let alone a jobless economy (where they are competing with 63 year olds to work at walmart).

Who did the boomer have to compete with when they got their first jobs in the 60's or early 70's? (Long wait...........) (Silence.........)

No one really. Not vs the numbers of older workers now. College should have been free for gen y, x as a way to compensate for their blown educational policies of the last 40 years. They should have been adding things to this generation to counter balance this jobless economy.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,105,471 times
@ wanneroo; Judgmental little so and so, aren't you? Start the draft again, combined with 1000 KIA a month and see how your generation reacts.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,137,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well with so many boomers being in such poor financial shape you can't knock my generation, as the boomers certainly are not any good example, nor have they set the standard.

I've seen studies that show my X and Y generation are not only more educated, but more fiscally conservative in their politics as well. My generation has fought in Iraq and Afghanistan without complaint for almost 10 years now and considering the circumstances have done quite well. Unlike the boomers who were burning American flags and smoking dope and cuddling with commies back in the Vietnam era.

Whether the boomers want to work or not, in a lot of cases they wont be able to. For one thing they are already dying off and many of them can't keep up physically or mentally either.
I will freely admit that there are lot of Boomers who have always been spoiled brats. But, most of the Boomers grew up in an era when a good basic and practical education was still both offered to them and they were expected to acquire. They also endured some tough economic times--the inflation and fuel shortages of the 1970's, recession in the 1980's, etc. So, they have not had a total bed of roses. I graduated from college in the mid-1970's, in the middle of the worst recession up until then since World War II--it was no picnic.

Contrast that to the relatively "fat" times that the people who came of age in the 1980's and 1990's enjoyed--they had it easy. Worse for them, they were not held to the same educational standards that earlier generations were--and it shows. Many of them managed to economically survive until now because there was a long period when anyone who had a pulse could get a job. Well, those days are over.

I would add one thing--whatever attributes one can ascribe to the Boomers, a great many of them were failures as parents. They failed because they neglected to teach their children something that a kid usually either learns before he or she hits the school door, or he or she never will--plain ol' good common sense. If there is anything that is generally lacking in the generations that have followed the Boomers, it is that. I see it every day--in employees, on the street, in politics--everywhere. And that is the very commodity that is generally most precious to any employer--the rest someone can learn, but without common sense, an employee can never be truly valuable. That is a prime reason that many Boomers will survive in the workforce when many of their younger counterparts fall by the wayside. Those older guys and gals often have that combination of experience plus common sense.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,407,562 times
Quote:
I will freely admit that there are lot of Boomers who have always been spoiled brats. But, most of the Boomers grew up in an era when a good basic and practical education was still both offered to them and they were expected to acquire. They also endured some tough economic times--the inflation and fuel shortages of the 1970's, recession in the 1980's, etc. So, they have not had a total bed of roses. I graduated from college in the mid-1970's, in the middle of the worst recession up until then since World War II--it was no picnic.

Contrast that to the relatively "fat" times that the people who came of age in the 1980's and 1990's enjoyed--they had it easy. Worse for them, they were not held to the same educational standards that earlier generations were--and it shows. Many of them managed to economically survive until now because there was a long period when anyone who had a pulse could get a job. Well, those days are over.
Even in the 70's, the bar was so low for boomers. How much did health care cost during the height of the recession of the 70's? How many people were paying 22 or 30% on credit cards in the 70's? Very few.

Just look at the size of govt in the 70's vs today, the bar was very low.

They didn't have to compete with their parents for jobs in the 60's or 70's, because their parents behaved responsibly.

I think the game started to unravel in the 80's. There should have been a hard recession in the middle 90's, that would have instilled more discipline in boomers. But it got pushed forward by Greenspan. Boomers got the benefit of easy monetary policy and easy credit, at a time when previous generations got the punchbowl taken away, or curbed.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,137,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Even in the 70's, the bar was so low for boomers. How much did health care cost during the height of the recession of the 70's? How many people were paying 22 or 30% on credit cards in the 70's? Very few.

Just look at the size of govt in the 70's vs today, the bar was very low.

They didn't have to compete with their parents for jobs in the 60's or 70's, because their parents behaved responsibly.

I think the game started to unravel in the 80's. There should have been a hard recession in the middle 90's, that would have instilled more discipline in boomers. But it got pushed forward by Greenspan. Boomers got the benefit of easy monetary policy and easy credit, at a time when previous generations got the punchbowl taken away, or curbed.
Yes, back in the 1970's was when the mantra of easy credit really took hold and it has wrecked the country.

My late mother foresaw this. She was a smart lady. Immediately before World War II, she was promoted to be the head cashier for a major US corporation--one of the first women to hold such a high position in a large corporation. She knew plenty about money and finance. When the big easy-credit binge started in the 1970's, she told me sternly, "Easy consumer credit, credit cards, and the like will eventually wreck both the financial health of this country and its moral character." She never wavered from that statement, and I realize now how absolutely correct she was. We're there.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,553,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
@ wanneroo; Judgmental little so and so, aren't you? Start the draft again, combined with 1000 KIA a month and see how your generation reacts.
Not being judgmental at all.

If someone is saying the current X and Y gens are these aimless, brainless idiots, they certainly have been fighting the good fight in a lot of tough battles in tough terrain and mostly without complaints. Just an example to me, that we are not some hopeless bunch. You can take it any way you want though.

So ultimately the point is that the older generation always knocks the younger ones, but I think the X and Y gens, while we have our share of retards and idiots, many of us have the right idea and will do fine after the hippies move on to their final resting place.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM

470 posts, read 973,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Vaughn,

We don't need a draft. My generation isn't a bunch of spineless hippies who burned a doobie in one hand and their draft card in the other.

Rangers Lead the Way!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,647,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
As a 32 year old, I put the blame on these moronic "schools" (holding cells?) gen y was forced to go to. Gen y didn't get the right education even for a normal economy, let alone a jobless economy (where they are competing with 63 year olds to work at walmart).

Who did the boomer have to compete with when they got their first jobs in the 60's or early 70's? (Long wait...........) (Silence.........)

No one really. Not vs the numbers of older workers now. College should have been free for gen y, x as a way to compensate for their blown educational policies of the last 40 years. They should have been adding things to this generation to counter balance this jobless economy.
I agree with you on the subject of substandard schools, but the problem goes beyond that. Earlier generations learned to be more self sufficient because they spent more time on their own out in the world.
When I was growing up most parents had little knowledge or concern for where their kids were or what they were doing.
Today parents are afraid to let their children play outside, and could not tolerate not knowing where they were.
As far as competition for jobs goes, it has always been difficult for young people to get jobs and we had recessions in the 60's and 70's too. With the baby boomers entering the workplace in the 60's and 70's there a lot of competition for jobs.
The thing we did not have to compete with was 20 million illegal aliens who have taken many of the jobs in construction, food service, and other jobs traditionally used for entry to the workforce.
Every generation is the product of the conditions in which they were raised. The boomers were rewarded for their selfishness and indulgence much as the people of the 1920's. Of course this behavior causes economic collapse, and the sins of the fathers are visited upon their sons.
Now, as it happened then, the children who grow up paying for their father’s sins will change the status quo and establish new rules for ethics and responsibility. They will begin to build a better world for their children and their grandchildren who will once again be born into the prosperity that will begin the cycle again.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM

28,900 posts, read 49,256,604 times
Well, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a lot of the Boomers, of which I am officially part. We're talking the most narcissistic generation ever, a generation of locusts. We supported a massive expansion of the welfare state, we supported tax policies and overregulation that either caused manufacturers to flee overseas or eviscerated the companies foolish enough to stay. We dumbed down education. We blew off the older generations as a bunch of worrywarts and kept on treating the government as the ideal vehicle to fulfill whatever our utopian ideal du jour was at the moment.

We steadfastly refused to pay heed to the drumbeat of worries over the solvency of Social Security and blew off concerns about mushrooming Medicare/Medicaid costs as lacking compassion. Seriously, I was reading the articles on the growing entitlement crisis way back in the mid-80s. I was reconciled to not counting on Social Security in my waning years, knowing it was a gigantic Ponzi scheme at the time. But nobody had the political courage then to do anything about it, either.

We bought too-large homes, blew our wads on Carnival Cruises, and leased our cars rather than driving them until the wheels fell off. We bought every shiny bauble that appeared on television. Speaking of the idiot box, suddenly a 25-inch television wasn't good enough. Instead, we needed the big screen. We bought our kids the newest, the latest, the greatest, and generally denied them nothing. Our savings as a percentage of our income dropped to virtually zero but, hey, our home values were going to keep climbing 10% a year, right? We paid twice as much for groceries at Whole Foods than we would have at Kroger or Safeway but, hey, you can't put a price on piety.

So now, the generation that was exposed to more wealth, more privilege and more opportunity than any other generation in the entire world's history is looking forward to an old age filled with toil and penury.

Sounds as if the chickens have come to roost if you ask me.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-21-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics