U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 20,101,164 times

Advertisements

"Today's article in the Boston Globe tells us an interesting story about the incredible waste of our private insurance system, and the growing role it plays as an unnecessary middle man that drives up our costs."....from newsletter

Harvard Pilgrim cancels Medicare Advantage plan - The Boston Globe
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,714,733 times
I didn't read anything but about a advanatge plan being dropped. What they did say clearly was that congress is going to stop paying more to advantage plans than pay fo service standard medicare like it has been.likely causing changes or stoppig alot of advatage plans offered.I see nothig about pirvte driving up the cost here but the changing governamnt doing it by their changes being made. But you really can't expect to mandate cost increases in coverage without driving up the cost IMO.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,961,049 times
Default The Canadian system really is better ;)

As a recent visitor to Ontario this past summer, I got to see firsthand how the residents there appreciate and admire their vaunted universal health care system. If you went down just about any street in Ontario and asked people at random whether they'd be willing to exchange their current system for the US one, 9 out of 10 (yes, it's really 90%) would say NO! to that idea, which is why Canada is in no danger of losing one of their most successful government programs ever enacted.

What I don't understand is why Americans think so poorly of the Canadian system when the facts (yes, F-A-C-T-S, you know, the actual numbers that show how Canadians are healthier, live longer and enjoy high-quality health care at much lower cost) CLEARLY demonstrate that their system is far superior to the mess we have down here. As a person paying far too much for my own health care, and probably won't be even be able to afford health care coverage as of Jan 1, 2011, I strongly support UHC in the US, even at the expense of the insurance companies. Let 'em die, for all I care, all they do is to suck money out of the system and make life difficult for all of us.

For all of you out there that still have the wool pulled over their eyes, lemme tell you, our health care system sucks out the ying-yang, and it's only gonna get worse. And don't stoop to bashing Obama for making it worse, it's the *)%&# blood-sucking insurance companies and hospital cartels that are making it worse - simply because they can.

As a former believer in so-called "capitalism" (which really is a license for highway robbery), I will only support a publicly-run system for our health care system - it needs to be treated as a utility, with absolutely ZERO profit. There needs to be strict price-control policies in place, as well as mandated provider requirements, i.e., no doctor or hospital can refuse needed treatments, regardless of cost.

It's high time that Americans to stand up and demand what should be an intrinsic right of ALL people - the right to decent health care regardless of ability to pay.

Those of you who think otherwise, lemme tell you, might makes right, and we the uninsured are getting to be rather mighty in number. Someday soon, we WILL demand that the government provide universal health care at low cost, and yes, we WILL succeed - as we'll be in the majority, and a very angry majority at that. If you don't like it, than move to another country - we don't want you here anymore, and that's the honest truth.

/rant off

Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM

10,494 posts, read 24,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sigh. Here's just one of thousands of examples of how our "health insurance" system works for a "respectable," employed American Citizen, a real person who is a close friend of mine.

Profession: university assoc. professor

Guessed income: $70,000?

Insured: by her university, good plan, fully covered

Life complications: taking care of both elderly parents financially

Health complication: she develops a highly debilitating cancer

Result: she is so sick she can hardly work, finally leaves her job, no choice

Insured: Keeps on with Cobra payments to the max
Note: Group health coverage for COBRA participants is usually more
expensive than health coverage for active employees

Earned income now: 0

Progression: cancer develops to Stage IV.

Insured: insurance ends

Help for her: denied unemployment (she quit). Denied disability.

Upshot: she lives on savings, running out; no longer insured.

Hospital bill: following visits, tests, surgery, chemo, etc---unimaginable

Today: faces foreclosure and being taken to court for medical bills, all while enduring the devastation of stage IV cancer

Nice scenario. And this is a "respectable" employed American
I tried to send you a DM regarding your friend since I can help but for some reason I can't. I tried twice and got this message:

"newenglandgirl has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove newenglandgirl from the recipient list and send the message again."

Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I tried to send you a DM regarding your friend since I can help but for some reason I can't. I tried twice and got this message:

"newenglandgirl has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove newenglandgirl from the recipient list and send the message again."

Thanks. Please post any advice for us all to see, others may need it too.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I didn't read anything but about a advanatge plan being dropped. What they did say clearly was that congress is going to stop paying more to advantage plans than pay fo service standard medicare like it has been.likely causing changes or stoppig alot of advatage plans offered.I see nothig about pirvte driving up the cost here but the changing governamnt doing it by their changes being made. But you really can't expect to mandate cost increases in coverage without driving up the cost IMO.
Read the link I provided in the post right above yours.

Here's their public spin:

“We became concerned by the long-term viability of Medicare Advantage programs in general,’’ said Lynn Bowman, vice president of customer service at Harvard Pilgrim’s office in Quincy. “We know that cuts in Medicare are being used to fund national health care reform. And we also had concerns about our ability to build a network of health care providers that would meet the needs of our seniors.’’

Medicare Advantage Plans Eliminated for 3 Million Seniors

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) have made a capricious decision to eliminate certain Medicare Advantage drug plans affecting up to three million seniors—automatically enrolling more than 1.5 million seniors in a new plan that will cost them 15% more in premiums alone.

Other changes made by CMS will cause premium rate increases for Medicare Advantage plans ranging from 10-45%.

All part of the plan...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 24,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks. Please post any advice for us all to see, others may need it too.
Check out these links and do some research on on green smoothies. It could potentially save your friend's life.

"If I got cancer, I would immediately commit to an all-raw, all-alkaline diet. And I believe from reading many sources—and knowing quite a few friends (including my grandmother) who eliminated cancer without chemo, radiation, or surgery—that cancer cannot live in the presence of oxygen. One of those friends is Shelley Abegg, who tells her story and shares her raw gourmet recipes at www.rawfoodart.com. When you eat 100% raw, especially when you heavily emphasize alkaline and living foods (soaked grains, nuts, and seeds are “sprouted” and therefore alive), you fully oxygenate the blood and tissues, making your body a clean, inhospitable place for cancer to thrive. Chemotherapy and radiation, on the other hand, create massive free-radical damage and acidity and cause the host to be a more likely site for future cancer."

What About Raw Food And Alkaline Food? | Green Smoothie Girl | 12 Steps to Whole Food Eating

Robyn's Blog » Raw food beating cancer is front-page news!

I am not spamming, just trying to help.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Check out these links and do some research on on green smoothies. It could potentially save your friend's life.

"If I got cancer, I would immediately commit to an all-raw, all-alkaline diet. And I believe from reading many sources—and knowing quite a few friends (including my grandmother) who eliminated cancer without chemo, radiation, or surgery—that cancer cannot live in the presence of oxygen. One of those friends is Shelley Abegg, who tells her story and shares her raw gourmet recipes at www.rawfoodart.com. When you eat 100% raw, especially when you heavily emphasize alkaline and living foods (soaked grains, nuts, and seeds are “sprouted” and therefore alive), you fully oxygenate the blood and tissues, making your body a clean, inhospitable place for cancer to thrive. Chemotherapy and radiation, on the other hand, create massive free-radical damage and acidity and cause the host to be a more likely site for future cancer."

What About Raw Food And Alkaline Food? | Green Smoothie Girl | 12 Steps to Whole Food Eating

Robyn's Blog » Raw food beating cancer is front-page news!

I am not spamming, just trying to help.

I will pass this info on to her, thanks.

I continue to wonder (and research) how many healthcare procedures could be avoided by preventative self care.

Another question re: the OP--
A year ago, the numbers cited for those uninsured was 40 million.
Now the number being cited is 53 million.
So in one year 13 million more people became uninsured---or, would this be due to births and immigrations? Would like to see the stats.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,714,733 times
The center for disease control says that those without health insurnace went from 43.8 million in 2008 to 46.3 millionin 2010;mostly due to losing their jobs.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The center for disease control says that those without health insurnace went from 43.8 million in 2008 to 46.3 millionin 2010;mostly due to losing their jobs.
Health insurance should not be provided by employers. Hurts both the employers and the employees who lose their jobs. Worst system ever devised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics