U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,648,657 times

Advertisements

Health Insurance Companies Dramatically Increase Premiums Due To The New Health Care Law And There Is Not Much We Can Do About It

Health Insurance Rate Hikes OK'd in California - CBS News

Health care costs are going up in California by somewhere between 19-29%. This increase is in direct contrast to what proponents of the Health Care Bill said would happen, but exactly what critics expected.
The reality is that it costs more to remove caps on healthcare. It costs more to give health care to those who do not want to pay for it. Some one has to pay and now we are seeing who that someone is, it is you and me.
When Congress let Insurance Companies write the Health Care Bill, and then shoved it down the publics throat without debate, saying “we will find out what’s in it after we pass it” any one with have a brain saw this coming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 16,262,492 times
It gets worse .... employers are passing all the costs on to employees

Survey: Family health costs soar 14% in 2010 - Sep. 2, 2010

As the costs to individuals continue to rise so the demand for tax payer funded UHC will continue to rise.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,598,964 times
It went up because of UHC... I can't imagine having 100% UHC and the costs going down... like I say, if it's YOUR money (i.e. the companies money) they are going to be careful about costs but it is THEIR money (i.e. taxpayer money) nobody is going to be careful about costs... more government = more stupid has always been the trend.....

Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM

11,376 posts, read 47,229,198 times
It's already being reported that the insurance companies that wrote specialty type policies ... such as high deductible without all the bells and whistles "sniffle" coverage for everything with minimal co-pays ... are not writing new policies, and most are going out of business at the end of the year.

So much for those of us who viewed insurance as a safety net for a possible major medical expense in our lifetimes and were willing to stay healthy and use medical services in a responsible manner, paying out of pocket for routine and minor medical expenses. We're now stuck buying a "one size fits all" major medical policy with provisions of medical coverage that we don't need and won't use ... with the revenue going to benefit many who simply don't take responsibility for their health actions, but want everybody else to pay for them ....

There are no surprises about this result from the legislation as written and left open to the interpretation of the officals that will be employed by this health care monstrosity. It was all brought up before the bill was passed. Now we are seeing it happen. Congress has screwed us all ....

Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 PM

13,699 posts, read 23,983,280 times
To be fair healthcare costs go up every year 19%-29%.

Read an article today showing the cost to treat cancer with a drug cocktail was $90,000 per month for 3 injections/month.

I wonder at some point, do we just say "$90k/month for who knows how long...to increase live span maybe 6 months...nope".

I believe in progress, and I hope I never get a terminal illness, and I would want to do everything I can to stop it, but where do you draw the line at? I personally would probably take a lower cost insurance policy that takes care of things like general care up to including major surgeries if I were to have some sort of accident (ie falling off a ladder), but does away with any long term terminal illness care save for some pain medications (although isn't that what weed is for nowadays??).

Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
To be fair healthcare costs go up every year 19%-29%.

Read an article today showing the cost to treat cancer with a drug cocktail was $90,000 per month for 3 injections/month.

I wonder at some point, do we just say "$90k/month for who knows how long...to increase live span maybe 6 months...nope".

I believe in progress, and I hope I never get a terminal illness, and I would want to do everything I can to stop it, but where do you draw the line at? I personally would probably take a lower cost insurance policy that takes care of things like general care up to including major surgeries if I were to have some sort of accident (ie falling off a ladder), but does away with any long term terminal illness care save for some pain medications (although isn't that what weed is for nowadays??).
But most Americans have been insulated from the real cost of their health care either through employer subsidized insurance or by government schemes such as medicare/medicaid/va/etc. As an increasing number of Americans start to pay more of the real cost, expect pressure on politicians to "do something" about it. The only way health care costs can be controlled is through government intervention. That is why costs in Europe are so much lower. The health care industry is in the process of killing the "golden goose". If this trend continues, we will have taxpayer funded UHC much faster than anyone thinks.

Americans may believe, in principal, that private health care is better but when it is costing them several thousand dollars a year more than they are paying now then that belief will erode real quick.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It went up because of UHC... I can't imagine having 100% UHC and the costs going down... like I say, if it's YOUR money (i.e. the companies money) they are going to be careful about costs but it is THEIR money (i.e. taxpayer money) nobody is going to be careful about costs... more government = more stupid has always been the trend.....
And yet, in European countries where they have taxpayer funded UHC, their per capita costs are much lower than ours.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,940,696 times
My healthcare premiums have NOT been going up that much every year..max 10% but usually in the 6-7% range.
But I did get a letter from my company saying they are going to revamp their options this year for employees due to the healthcare bill and potentially higher costs.

My healthcare choices for 2011 don't happen til November or so at my company so I'm in the dark about what the future brings.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM

20,950 posts, read 17,328,945 times
Imagine what the increases would be if not for Obamacare? Thank you dear leader.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 AM

2,592 posts, read 4,878,226 times
Thank you for this great healthcare bill otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford my more expensive medical care. I really appreciate paying for others medical care and everyone passing the costs on to me and everyone else.

Europe's health care is great and I'm so glad I can contribute. There is nothing I appreciate more than paying for everyone else to go to the doctor. We should all just pay insurance just so people can stop off at the doctor for a physical.

Honestly, anyone with half a brain did you actually expect health care costs to go down when Obama care promised that cost would go down. Who did you think would pay for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics