U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 8,535,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authenticity View Post
I've been watching CNBC for about 12 years. In the last 3-4 years I have seen a distinct change in their coverage of the market.

Even Jim Cramer has become a kool-aid drinker since Jon Stewart undressed him on the Daily Show a while back. As a trader I find their information to be increasingly useless as it has become more political than informational.

Also, I remember a time when the CNBC hosts would facilitate a debate with people with opposing views rather than imposing their own personal opinions into the discussion. Larry Kudlow is a prime example of this.

Of course, none of this is really new to one who knows the history of the stock market going back to the 'bucket shops' of the early 20th century. The market has always sought out 'retail' investors and provided them with either misinformation or misdirection in order to separate them from their cash.

I am now beginning to watch Bloomberg, whom I think sticks more to the stock market information I need and want during the trading day. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the change over at CNBC.
I stopped watching CNBC after they fired Dylan Ratigan. For one they became more interested in being the news than reporting it. Two they completely lost their journalistic objectivity. Now I watch Bloomberg, and I do like the early morning call for Europeans on CNBC Worldwide Squawk Box Europe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
CNBC focuses on Wall Street. When the current president calls a war on Wall Street, do you expect them to say the political environment looks promising for a bull market? Make no mistake, I voted for Obama because there are more issues than just the markets. The economy I believe will recover eventually with either political party. It's like climate change. It goes in cycles, there are things you can do to slow or speed the process, but the end result will still be the same. I do believe Obama's policies are bad for the market, which explains why Cramer and others talk about his politics.
My problem with CNBC is that focus is so much on Wall Street and the cozy relationships they have with Wall Street executives, analyst and traders they have become INSULAR. They have no regard to how the events on the market affect anybody west of the Hudson River or north of Putnam County.

Their mentality is Wall Street = Good

Washington = Bad

The average working American = **** you

Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Anytime you have people you are going to have bias. The one nice thing whether you like Foxnews or not is that they will have two guests (one who argues one side and the other one for the opposite side). I check in on MSNBC and CNN once in awhile and a lot of the time they will have two liberals, one very liberal and they other person moderate to liberal.
The bias on CNBC has become more pronounced since late 2008. It's like they are pissed they actually have to be concered with REGULATIONS. Of course if the people on Wall Street had used sound judgement, and hadn't been so damned greedy they wouldn't need the government to tell them what NOT to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics