U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,766,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Boomerang kids: 85% of college graduates must move back home - Oct. 14, 2010

85% of college graduates plan to move back home with parents. I guess the green shoots thing was not quite truthful.
Here is a follow up topic: what do they do when they are back home?

If I could afford for my child to stay with me after college, I would not want her spending all of her time looking for work. She would have to choose an interest, especially if she did not choose one when attending college, borrow some books from the library and learn new skills.

I know quite a few stay-at-home-parents who are making a decent income consulting, arts and crafts, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 20,139,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Here is a follow up topic: what do they do when they are back home?

If I could afford for my child to stay with me after college, I would not want her spending all of her time looking for work. She would have to choose an interest, especially if she did not choose one when attending college, borrow some books from the library and learn new skills.

I know quite a few stay-at-home-parents who are making a decent income consulting, arts and crafts, etc.
With all due respect for your POV, I can't help pointing out that kids who have graduated from college are adults. They turned adult at age 21. If they return to their parents' homes out of financial necessity and the good will of their parents, they should not be "told" what to do, how to spend their time, what to choose. They are adult, and as such are guests in the parent's home.

The one exception I would make is that because of the circumstances, the adult "child" should be expected to get up at a reasonable time (not sleep all day) and spend a certain part of the day looking for work.

What can and should be expected is a mutual contract of "house rules"--what chores they must do, meal times if they want meals, and whether or not they can have guests overnight. This would be the same for any adult who is visiting the home.

This is the most troubling aspect of boomerang adult children...remembering they are adults, and respecting them as such.

On topic: I am wondering what the suffering level will be when so many graduates cannot pay back their student loans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics