U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 AM

4,747 posts, read 3,274,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Which is why I ocassionally check out the Self Sufficency Forum.
I imagine it smells musty and bit like urine in there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
higher quantities of ethanol in nyc then stated on the pump (10%)has caused many high pressure fuel pumps in the turbos to fail in bmws.at first bmw denied the warrany claims and said it was a fuel issue but now they issued an extended warranty to cover them. high ethanol destroys lots of components in a car.
There is something wrong with the logic here. First, they deny the claims, apparently rightly so, due to fuel issues. Then, they extend the warranty after confirming it is due to using improper fuel? I suppose BMW is just a very generous company!

Although, I do agree many fuel system components are not designed to handle anything greater than E10.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM

87,070 posts, read 84,491,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
There is something wrong with the logic here. First, they deny the claims, apparently rightly so, due to fuel issues. Then, they extend the warranty after confirming it is due to using improper fuel? I suppose BMW is just a very generous company!

Although, I do agree many fuel system components are not designed to handle anything greater than E10.
by right they didnt have to but it was so wide spread they felt it was the right thing to do. cars were dropping dead left and right.

they will cover them for 10 years now.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 AM

6,448 posts, read 20,423,256 times
I will stop when more than 300,000 private sector jobs are created each and every month.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:32 AM

7,322 posts, read 9,080,303 times
Children, children...place nice. I am a father and a grandfather and can't remember any kiddie squabbles that have gone on this long!

If you don't like "gloom and doom" threads, then don't read 'em. If there was anything wrong with these threads, the mods would've shut 'em down by now!

Maybe some of us are more disgusted by this silly waste of space fighting over who is right and who is wrong. None of know that for sure, either!

Hey, Moderator! Moderator...you there?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,157,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Children, children...place nice. I am a father and a grandfather and can't remember any kiddie squabbles that have gone on this long!

If you don't like "gloom and doom" threads, then don't read 'em. If there was anything wrong with these threads, the mods would've shut 'em down by now!

Maybe some of us are more disgusted by this silly waste of space fighting over who is right and who is wrong. None of know that for sure, either!

Hey, Moderator! Moderator...you there?
1) Someone makes a comment on anything in the world, someone else responds and they're free to say anything they please.

2) People love these attack threads cuz it's more interesting than TV, you always know who's gonna say what (are you ever surprised?). Teenage minds love to do this kind of thing, helps their identity defense.

3) You're right, ignore the threads you think are ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
by right they didnt have to but it was so wide spread they felt it was the right thing to do. cars were dropping dead left and right.

they will cover them for 10 years now.
I did a little research on the subject. While BMW is doing the right thing by extending the coverage on a high failure rate part, it is not due to "bad" fuel. Mainly they are doing it to avoid bad customer relations. The pumps were found to have a tolerance issue within the pump that came about during the manufacturing process. And the pump failures are nationwide, not confined to one locale.

Last edited by shaker281; 10-05-2010 at 03:42 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 AM

Peak oil is based on the theory that oil is a fossil fuel. There is actually no evidence to prove that oil is a product of biomass vs. mineral in origin. Perhaps, all we are doing at present is picking the low hanging fruit?

Some light (crude) reading:
Russians Debunk Peak Oil Theory - as Bogus as Greenhouse Gas Scam
Opinion: The Evidence for Limitless Oil and Gas
Peak Oil Theory vs. Russian-Ukrainian Modern*Theory by George Crispin

Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 AM

87,070 posts, read 84,491,415 times
not exactley correct....the fact is they themselves were requiring fuel analysis when the pump failures were brought in.. they were finding the ethanol content of the fuels way higher and were not honoring the warranty on the high pressure fuel pump . it was happning more in some areas then others as the bmw forum polls showed.. i myself was going to buy a 335xi and instead opted for the non turbo version 328xi because of the issues at the time. i frequented many bmw forums before buying to get an insight into the cars i was interested in and denied claims because of the ethanol test results was a hot topic with quite a few 335xi owners.

there was huge out cry by the owners and it became so publicized on all the forums bmw had to act on it.

of course the question is was bmw just trying to get out of the early claims for warranty service and the ethanol being higher wasnt really the issue or was it just a badely designed pump and the failures were so widespread that they couldnt blame the fuel anymore?

we wont ever know but they were certainly quick to blame the ethanol.

they then made a change in the pumps seals and design and sent out a notice to all owners that they had changed a potential defect in the pumps and were going to extend the warranty to 10 years on existing ones and no longer mentioned high ethanol as the culprit...

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-05-2010 at 04:09 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
note exactley correct....the fact is they themselves were requiring fuel analysis when the pump failures were brought in.. they were finding the ethanol content of the fuels way higher and were not honoring the warranty on the fuel pump . it was happning more in some areas then others. i myself was going to buy a 335xi and instead opted for the non turbo version 328xi because of the issues at the time.
I am sure it could have been worse in areas with E10, but it was widespread and far too prevalent to be fuel related.

Quote:
there was huge out cry by the owners and it was so widespread bmw had to act on it.

of course the question is was bmw just trying to get out of the early claims for warranty service and the ethanol being higher wasnt really the issue or ws it just a badely designed pump and the failures were so widespread that they couldnt blame the fuel anymore?

we wont ever know but they were certainly quick to blame the ethanol.
That would be my belief!

Quote:
they then made a change in the pumps seals and design and sent out a notice to all owners that they had changed a potential defect in the pumps and were going to extend the warranty to 10 years on existing ones..
And there you have it, first they tried to blame the gas, then they were forced to acknowledge the real problem. I don't see BMW taking a bullet for the oil sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics