U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 AM

86,870 posts, read 84,258,436 times

Advertisements

i tend to agree, they thought they could blame them perhaps and duck the claims. but when they got soooo many pumps fail they couldnt skirt the real issues . but whether it really was the ethanol and it was just good will because of a bad design that couldnt deal with high ethanol we wont really know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM

4,938 posts, read 7,169,551 times
Not enough people understanding the true source of "money/debt".

That being said, there is too much doom and gloom here. Do what believe is in your best interest and keep on living. We live in interesting times and no one really knows how it will all play out. I'll admit, I'd be amazed if they can manage to roll it over like they did in 2000.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM

3,726 posts, read 4,582,328 times
Quote:
Jimhcom and Tightwad are responsible for fully 35% of all threads just on this first page alone.
Has anyone ever seen Jimhcom and Tightwad in the same room at the same time?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 AM

28,718 posts, read 42,711,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I read every post here, shaking my head and chuckling all the way through, until I read this. Belly laugh!

Thanks treasurekidd

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 AM

4,700 posts, read 3,263,279 times
Quote:
I believe that is the definition of "critical mass".

Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,244,611 times
Quote:
I think they are a different breed.

Jimhcom is obsessively negative but he does explain his opinions and is capable of debating the reasons for his conclusions. I might disagree with him a lot but can at least respect someone who can engage in reasonable discourse.

Tightwad (and lasvegasdrunk) are just link pasters, I could probably write a program to automate their role here on CityData quite easily.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM

10,494 posts, read 24,525,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I think they are a different breed.

Jimhcom is obsessively negative but he does explain his opinions and is capable of debating the reasons for his conclusions. I might disagree with him a lot but can at least respect someone who can engage in reasonable discourse.

Tightwad (and lasvegasdrunk) are just link pasters, I could probably write a program to automate their role here on CityData quite easily.
Don't bring me into this. There is no debating you since all you do is put down and insult people (including me). Personally, I have no reason to argue with ignorant people such as yourself.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,244,611 times
My program just made that post.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 AM

28,888 posts, read 31,557,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you guys are tooooo funny: basically whatever happens happens and to try to predict is just silly. to be honest i wouldnt waste 1 minute trying to predict the future direction of things. i know i cant....

the real question is whats your financial plan? and what if your wrong?

thats whats important and that is where your thinking should be.

a good financial plan DOESNT RULE OUT UNCERTAINTY,IT PLANS FOR IT.

instead of trying to predict peak oil or the demise of the country your thoughts should be in better constructing a portfolio that allows you to profit and never be devastated by any economic event be it deflation or hyper-inflation etc. you need to think more about that plan no matter what the outcome is just in case your soothsaying is wrong.

generally you end up with analysis paralysis and never act once you start anayzing all the what ifs...the successful person puts more into planning then worrying about things that may never come to pass.
I don't know about anyone else, but I still save and I believe I've constructed a decent portfolio for myself.

That said, nothing is fool proof.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM

22,798 posts, read 16,061,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
That being said, there is too much doom and gloom here.
I lost my job during the Carter recession.

I just point that out because many here have never experienced a really harsh recession (and what is happening now is not really harsh -- when states and counties start closing offices and cutting office hours and there are mass lay-offs of state, county and city employees and the ones that aren't laid off have their hours cut to 18-24 hours per week then it will be equal to the Carter recession) and for them even a slight down-turn in GDP is the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics