U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,791,116 times

Advertisements

Some have known for a long time that the media was a questionable place to invest.............

"Back in 1983, approximately 50 corporations controlled the vast majority of all news media in the United States. Today, ownership of the news media has been concentrated in the hands of just six incredibly powerful media corporations. These corporate behemoths control most of what we watch, hear and read every single day. They own television networks, cable channels, movie studios, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, music labels and even many of our favorite websites. Sadly, most Americans don't even stop to think about who is feeding them the endless hours of news and entertainment that they constantly ingest. Most Americans don't really seem to care about who owns the media. But they should. The truth is that each of us is deeply influenced by the messages that are constantly being pounded into our heads by the mainstream media. The average American watches 153 hours of television a month."

Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read

Media Reform Information Center
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,228,511 times
Yay! Something new was posted to the doom blog!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,606,837 times
Nobody with any sense trusts Big Media, anymore. When the converter/switch to Digital thing happened, we didn't bother to get converter boxes. Our televisions went into their boxes, and sit in storage rooms to this day.

We were tired of being fed lies and distortions...not just in 'news' programs, but on shows and commercials. The bad guy is always white. The wise and helpful people are always nonwhite.... Illegal immigrants are always heroic and good, and the people who object to them are always evil, inbred, racist criminals. White people are portrayed in commercials as pasty-faced, dumpy, ignorant idiots, with bad wardrobes and seriously-advanced cases of Metabolic Syndrome...being 'enlightened' by deep-voiced, wise, gorgeous people of color....to the point where most people in America think this is how things really are.

And when the freedom of the Internet is terminated, we plan on pulling the plug. No internet at home, and only whatever is truly essential at our offices. At that point, we'll start subscribing to 'underground' newspapers and magazines.

Currently, we subscribe to no newspapers and no maggies. Vanity Fair got canceled with their 'Africa Issue'. 'W' got canceled when they started with subtle bits supporting the one-worlder political agenda... Architectural Digest looks sleazy now, with all the celebs (I mean honestly: I don't watch Stallone's silly movies, or listen to Cher caterwauling, so why would I want to see their tacky houses).... And we never read newspapers because they never contained any real information. So glad to see they're going under, right and left.

We and our business associates have stopped believing the financial publications (even most of the expensive 'insider' newsletters). Instead, everybody is doing private sleuthing (often in groups, who get together to pool/quantify, after doing surveys...started with Mississippi's bankers, but the trend has spread nationwide, and across the business spectrum), to determine what is going on. People are beginning to regard the printed word as deliberate disinformation.

As for books, I'm so sick of buying some book supposedly by an independent/renegade/'free-thinker'... only to discover, after wasting a few hours of my life reading, that he/she is just another Marxist, with the same tired and delusional Marxist/Boazian worldview. It's like you cannot cannot get a nonfiction work published, unless you are a Marxist (or a gay-hating 'Christian''Conservative' who does not believe in Evolution....apparently, only Wingnuts, right or left, are allowed to be published, these days).

Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,111,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Some have known for a long time that the media was a questionable place to invest.............

"Back in 1983, approximately 50 corporations controlled the vast majority of all news media in the United States. Today, ownership of the news media has been concentrated in the hands of just six incredibly powerful media corporations. These corporate behemoths control most of what we watch, hear and read every single day. They own television networks, cable channels, movie studios, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, music labels and even many of our favorite websites. Sadly, most Americans don't even stop to think about who is feeding them the endless hours of news and entertainment that they constantly ingest. Most Americans don't really seem to care about who owns the media. But they should. The truth is that each of us is deeply influenced by the messages that are constantly being pounded into our heads by the mainstream media. The average American watches 153 hours of television a month."

Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read

Glad you found this. I posted on one of the threads that when I was in j-school 25 years ago it was about a dozen.

The overt messages, the subtle messages, and the skewed news surround us, making for....a pretty ignorant public.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,791,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The overt messages, the subtle messages, and the skewed news surround us, making for....a pretty ignorant public.
As many of all to well know.....

Otherwise why is there a tea party movement, etc. ????

Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 AM

8,831 posts, read 10,583,322 times
According to Rick Sanchez, formerly of CNN, the evil jooooooooz own the media.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,245,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
According to Rick Sanchez, formerly of CNN, the evil jooooooooz own the media.
Well, considering they are but a fraction of 1% of the world's population, they certainly have done well for themselves. I wonder what Rick Sanchez is doing these days? Probably not hanging out with Gloria.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:13 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,245,476 times
I do not think it matters at all. In the end, they will give the public what it demands. And that is the real problem.

If no one watched Jerry Springer or CNN or Fox News or Judge Judy or Jersey Shore, those things would not exist. I do not believe that the media creates the content for the ignorant. I believe the ignorant create the demand for the content and it is filled.

Another example: The fast food industry has not created the fat, lazy consumer. The fat lazy consumer has created the fast food industry.

Further, I believe that blaming the media (or fast food industry) for their "product" ruining minds (or bodies) is just another was of absolving individuals of their personal responsibility.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 20,111,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I do not think it matters at all. In the end, they will give the public what it demands. And that is the real problem.

If no one watched Jerry Springer or CNN or Fox News or Judge Judy or Jersey Shore, those things would not exist. I do not believe that the media creates the content for the ignorant. I believe the ignorant create the demand for the content and it is filled.

Another example: The fast food industry has not created the fat, lazy consumer. The fat lazy consumer has created the fast food industry.

Further, I believe that blaming the media (or fast food industry) for their "product" ruining minds (or bodies) is just another was of absolving individuals of their personal responsibility.
Products are created with profit in mind. No one has ever originally said give me a million-calorie triple Mac with soda loaded with HFC, please! These products are created and hyped in the media, their manufacturers paying enormous money to get the message across overtly and subtly that these products taste delicious. People, on the run, remember the ad and you know the rest. Really, really sad for children and teens who are consuming these products b/c that is all that is advrtised in the mainstream media.

And then they want more, and the manufacturers are only ready and willing to comply, reducing their costs by putting in fillers and additives concocted to make you want more and more. These are the advertisers that give the media their big bucks (you didn't think your 50 cents for the newspaper is what makes them rich?)

Media not only creates the content for the ignorant, it makes people ignorant. All while the runup to the current wars was in progress behind the scenes, what was the American public glued to the TV for? OJ Simpson and Monica Lewinsky! That rubbish was center stage while the powers that be were laying the stage for major death and destruction in two "wars." Did people know this or believe this? Of course not. It wasn't in the news. And don't even start thinking about the unreal profits those advertisers pushing drugs and big Macs made during those thousands of commercials.

So suddenly years later people scratch their heads and say Huh? How did we get into these wars and this huge financial mess overnight?

Personal responsibility? What would you have done about the wars and financial crises had you known at the appropriate time what is going on? Are your kids eating the foods now that will have them "obese" with chronic health problems by the time they're in their 40s? Who is teaching them anything about anything that may be good for them?

As the line goes in one of those famous musicals...."You have to be carefully taught...." [to be stupid and ignorant]

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,542,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I haven't watched TV ....for almost a decade now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics