U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,712,679 times

Advertisements

The wheel is turning with the American middle class drawing closer & closer to the bottom.........

"Meanwhile, the U.S. economy is being rapidly assimilated into the emerging one world economy. Middle class American workers now find themselves in direct competition for jobs with the cheapest labor on the other side of the globe. Of course many multinational corporations have taken advantage of this by moving factories and jobs to countries like China where blue collar workers make about a dollar an hour. This has helped raise the standard of living for workers in those nations by a nominal amount, but it has been absolutely devastating for the standard of living of America's middle class."

27 Signs That The Standard Of Living For America’s Middle Class Is Dropping Like A Rock
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,600,377 times
So how about all those family owned businesses like drug stores and hardware stores-that were pillars of their community. You know they sponsored the local baseball team, knew you by your first name, and were there for six decades?

And how untold numbers of them went belly up so you can get sprinkler heads and Tylenol for ten cents cheaper at Wal-Mart and Home Depot?

Not saying that this country isn't in a world of trouble. But let's face it. We as consumers brought a lot of it on ourselves. It took awhile, but we really did spend a dollar to save a dime.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
So how about all those family owned businesses like drug stores and hardware stores-that were pillars of their community. You know they sponsored the local baseball team, knew you by your first name, and were there for six decades?

And how untold numbers of them went belly up so you can get sprinkler heads and Tylenol for ten cents cheaper at Wal-Mart and Home Depot?

Not saying that this country isn't in a world of trouble. But let's face it. We as consumers brought a lot of it on ourselves. It took awhile, but we really did spend a dollar to save a dime.
Yup..strip malls and big box stores that "talk" about community involvement but they really don't.

Most of our Mom & Pop stores are now gone and replaced with a generic Anytown USA strip mall with the same flavor of stores.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM

22,798 posts, read 15,925,757 times
Quote:
And that is because the Middle Class abandoned them.

Quote:

Quote:
I could not agree more. I guess the question is, how much money did they really save in the end?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,044,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I could not agree more. I guess the question is, how much money did they really save in the end?
The middle class went to Walmart for their kids clothes b/c the clothes on Main Street became too d*** expensive. A pair of jeans on Main Street (where my generation shopped) is at least 10% or 20% more than a pair of jeans at Walmart. Why? Because Main Street rents went up out of sight and it's cheaper to warehouse stuff in a mall. A middle class paycheck just doesn't go so far anymore, in case some haven't heard. In going to Walmart, they save what they have to. The Main Street stores now cater to the folks with bigger bucks (I'd guess you'd call this the upper classes). They deserve the better stuff of course and don't have to stoop to Walmart.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,422,285 times
Lookig at teh numbers od people eating out by incrase in nmber of resturants;level of cars and numbers; non-essentail things bought;I would say that midddle class has changed alot since say the 50's. That is why I really don't think it really means much anymore to say middle class.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM

22,798 posts, read 15,925,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The middle class went to Walmart for their kids clothes b/c the clothes on Main Street became too d*** expensive.
Hand-me-downs work just fine. So do jeans at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop and the Goodwill Stores.

You don't need a new pair of jeans every other week, and you certainly don't need to be buying designer jeans for children. Children can get a job and buy their own designer jeans if they "need" them.

Home-made clothes are cheap too.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,509,374 times
Quote:

Not all of us do that. I don't. I was never a frequent Wal-Mart shopper but I did hit Target fairly regularly. Not anymore. I have my own reasons for boycotting Target but an extra benefit of it is even though I pay a little more for those same items elsewhere, I am saving money overall because there is little to no temptation to impulse-buy at these non-super-stores.

I'll be going to my local hardware store today for some white paint (both latex and oil) but I do go to Home Depot for some things. My local hardware store is pretty small and it's good for basics but not much else. But I shop local first, always.

Sadly there is not a family-owned pharmacy in this area that will accept my insurance; there's only one independent pharmacy anyway. Since my carrier is the near-ubiquitous BCBS, I do wonder how they stay in business.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 22,872 times
Quote:

The demise of local businesses may not just be due to big box stores. It may be a lack of support from the local government. In another thread, I talk about how our small business neighborhood is struggling with crime. The city's position is that 1) it's not the city's responsibility to provide protection and 2) we should hire our own security patrol. We are small business. We're paying high property taxes. We can't afford our own security patrol.

And this isn't the first time that we've encountered this attitude from the city: that its role is to govern us, not support us. I.e. It doesn't serve us; we serve it. To sustain a healthy community, each has to serve the other.

Last edited by austin-saca; 10-09-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,422,285 times
Basically for cities to provide actual individual security would mean much higher taxes. They are not and have never been in the private secuirty business.In many areas ;small business in a area hire private security that covers their local area businesses;just as neighborhoods do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics