U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM

8,730 posts, read 14,667,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
He said "Why do you folks hate Canada so much anyway?" so I assumed he was addressing more than Guineas. Canada invented Steve Nash, so I guess I'm okay with 'em. Plus they have that one bacon that looks like ham, and good weed.
Yes I was. I guess I have way too many right wing friends , that are always bashing Canada...and its the healthcare they talk about mostly...along with more social programs.... They don't hate Canadians as a people , but detest the way the Country is run....Too be honest , most of my Canadian friends live in the large cities, where wages are higher , along with the cost of living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 AM

22,798 posts, read 16,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Hi wages and manufacturing exports are compatible, we see Germany doing quite a good job of it.
Germany doesn't have 300 Million people, and Germans do not have the life-style Americans do and anyone who spent 8 years living there would know that.

Home ownership rates in Germany are 27% lower than in the US and that is how Germany counts it. When viewing any data, you need to understand how Germany calculates its home "ownership" rates (the parents own the home, but one of the children and that child's spouse and children also live there and that is counted as two separate homes, even though it is one house and the parents are the sole owners).

You want to make an accurate and legitimate comparison?

Then compare the EU to the US, not Germany. They're comparative by population, but I guess you wouldn't want to do that because then you'd have to include Spain and Greece and the others who aren't doing so well.

In the US, there are some states, like um, Vermont that is doing (and typically does) quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The United States needs to begin to look out after its own interests and stop letting corporate vultures off shore jobs while at the same time exploiting the American marketplace.
That is what corporations are supposed to do.

If you don't like it, then pass a law banning publicly traded corporations.

Corporations do whatever the Share-holders tell them to do.

Can you show examples where irate Share-holders appeared at an annual Share-holders meeting and berated the CEO and CFO for failing to lose money?

Can you cite any examples were Share-holders have ousted a CEO because the CEO refused to lose money and force the Share-holders to file bankruptcy?

No, I didn't think so.

Also, how ironic is it that the very same people who whine about off-shoring jobs buy stock in corporations or have their 401k Plan deep into corporations that off-shore jobs?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,251,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I did not mean to get your feathers fluffed, but , I can see you are taking the Right Wing aproach ....when It comes to Canada. Why do you folks hate Canada so much anyway?
That said , I was talking about income in general, not just a breakout segment. I have a lot of Canadian friends, the range goes from teachers to truck drivers , and , they DO make more than their counterparts in the US., considering all thats included, like healthcare... Homes are homes, Condos , the last time I looked were considered such.
I base my thoughts on personal observation, I have traveled all over North America, many times,...and yes , if I was younger I would consider moving North. That time is long past, Canada is not interested in anyone over 45, unless you bring a lot of cash to the table.... I will let others check to numbers , I am sure you can find all sorts of reasons to bash Canada, but , bottom line , they have a more stable system working these days than here in the US....sorry.
What a cop-out. There's no rule that says people over 45 can't immigrate to Canada. Vote with your feet, if you love Canada so much, you should emigrate. It's really that simple. Middle-aged people from Asia who barely speak English do it everyday.

As I and others have already said repeatedly, countries like Canada and Australia have unique advantages, one being an abundance of natural resources per capita. With China growing like crazy and hungry for raw resources, commodity-rich countries are making a killing.

To brag about Canada's economy is like bragging about Texas's economy (BTW, Texas's population alone is bigger than that of Canada), particularly back in the 1960s. Texas is blessed with oil and mineral resources. It never had to suffer the rust belt decline of the Northeast and Midwest, because it had the energy and commodities industries to fall back on.

And it is absolutely true that Canada's home prices are twice as expensive as America's and for less square footage. 40-year jumbo mortgages are fairly common in Canada (which is absurd if you think about it). One of the reasons why Canada's housing bubble hasn't collapsed is because bankruptcy laws in Canada are very draconian. You can't just easily walk away from an underwater mortgage. Furthermore, a considerable chunk of hot money from China is laundered through the Canadian real estate market. Many Canadians today cannot afford to live in the same housing as their parents. Sound familiar?

No one is trying to bash Canada, it's just all the wonderful things you portray about Canada aren't really a product of Canada's political or welfare system so much as its inherent natural advantages. Even with those advantages, Canada isn't doing that much better than the US, which is over 10 times larger in population. The data you site about life expectancy does not necessarily correlate to the quality of our health care system so much as our eating habits and the gang violence in our inner cities.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 AM

8,730 posts, read 14,667,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
What a cop-out. There's no rule that says people over 45 can't immigrate to Canada. Vote with your feet, if you love Canada so much, you should emigrate. It's really that simple. Middle-aged people from Asia who barely speak English do it everyday.

As I and others have already said repeatedly, countries like Canada and Australia have unique advantages, one being an abundance of natural resources per capita. With China growing like crazy and hungry for raw resources, commodity-rich countries are making a killing.

To brag about Canada's economy is like bragging about Texas's economy (BTW, Texas's population alone is bigger than that of Canada), particularly back in the 1960s. Texas is blessed with oil and mineral resources. It never had to suffer the rust belt decline of the Northeast and Midwest, because it had the energy and commodities industries to fall back on.

And it is absolutely true that Canada's home prices are twice as expensive as America's and for less square footage. 40-year jumbo mortgages are fairly common in Canada (which is absurd if you think about it). One of the reasons why Canada's housing bubble hasn't collapsed is because bankruptcy laws in Canada are very draconian. You can't just easily walk away from an underwater mortgage. Furthermore, a considerable chunk of hot money from China is laundered through the Canadian real estate market. Many Canadians today cannot afford to live in the same housing as their parents. Sound familiar?

No one is trying to bash Canada, it's just all the wonderful things you portray about Canada aren't really a product of Canada's political or welfare system so much as its inherent natural advantages. Even with those advantages, Canada isn't doing that much better than the US, which is over 10 times larger in population. The data you site about life expectancy does not necessarily correlate to the quality of our health care system so much as our eating habits and the gang violence in our inner cities.
You have not checked out the immagration laws have you ? Canada no longer has a friendly enviorement for retired folks from the US. There are a lot of countries that still do , but most are third world places.
Living longer ? Yes , no home loan recourse, why is that old fashioned?) , stable banking system, whats worong with that ? , fewer people and more natutal mineral worth, sounds good to me.
What my points are about , is that Canada is more like the US than any other Place on earth , we need to take leasons from each other, work together, for the good of our people, on both sides of the border.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,994,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Also, how ironic is it that the very same people who whine about off-shoring jobs buy stock in corporations or have their 401k Plan deep into corporations that off-shore jobs?
And shop at Walmart for their "off-shore" bargains

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,264,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
And shop at Walmart for their "off-shore" bargains
And buy things like computers, cell phones, and TVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics