Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

So we spend billions saving wall street in the hopes that wall street will be saved and start hiring people again. Technically that would have worked in a traditional economic sense. The recession hurt the businesses profitability so they fire people in order to save money. Now the recession is over (for most businesses) and they are back to earning their billions. In a economic sense this would mean that businesses could spend the profits to expand. Oh and they are expanding except they are spending the billions in China and india. They need to expand production, build a new factory in china. They need to hire software engineers, engineers etc, build an office in India.

I remember recently there was an article that stated something along the lines of how we spend stimulus money (in order to create US jobs). We spend the money, the Chinese build the turbines, they get shipped to the US, trucked to the location and then installed at the location. Only a small percentage of the stimulus money went to the truckers and construction workers. Sign of the times I guess.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I already answered this question in a previous thread:

Companies are saving their cash. Most have seen improving revenues and cash flows, but they haven't been hiring much. The reason I think is because there is still so much "unknown." Companies don't know what their taxes will be because there is no clear answer from the White House nor agreement within the House or Senate. There is no clear answer what the cost of providing health insurance to full-time employees will be starting in 2014. There are so many unknown policies forming and not forming in the White House that companies are scared ****less about the future, so instead of using their revenue increases to hire more employees, they are building up their cash.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
its a topic thats so complex that i couldnt even have an opinion. typically under more normal recessions there isnt a big drop in unemployment until around 3-4 years later..

why that is is so complex and involves aspects most of us dont know,dont understand and arent even aware of... if the authorities on this stuff cant figure it out what hope do we have to even have an opinion.

i know our company is hiring again bigtime,.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
What's sad is because we are printing so much money and our lending policies have been so lax the past 20 years there has been so much capital flight. Businesses and investors aka the rich wallstreet pukes realize this. They are investing and sending money overseas to places like India, China, the middle east because they no the American consumer is finally tapped out. This recession isn't going to be over any time soon. It's only just beginning. The American economy and our country is changing forever. When you see the next generation worse off than the last as far as job security, wealth, standard of living etc...you know your country has turned the corner for the worse. Corporations have been selling us out for decades through the power of our government and elected officials. Anyone who blames the left or the right or the dems or repubs hasn't been paying attention. Reagan was as bad as Clinton who was as bad as Bush who was as bad or is as bad as Obama. If you think about it......as individuals many of us don't deserve what's happening to our country.......but COLLECTIVELY we deserve exactly what's coming our way. We have been living high on the hog for a century. Plundering and pillaging the rest of the world through force. America is the aging bully.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Companies are saving their cash. Most have seen improving revenues and cash flows, but they haven't been hiring much. The reason I think is because there is still so much "unknown." Companies don't know what their taxes will be because there is no clear answer from the White House nor agreement within the House or Senate. There is no clear answer what the cost of providing health insurance to full-time employees will be starting in 2014. There are so many unknown policies forming and not forming in the White House that companies are scared ****less about the future, so instead of using their revenue increases to hire more employees, they are building up their cash.
Since when has the economy not been always drastically changing. Seems like there is a new set of laws every single year: Sarbanes Oxley, ADA, new employment laws etc etc. Yes, some of the reason companies aren't hiring is because they are holding on to their cash but personally I think that is a small factor.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
What's sad is because we are printing so much money and our lending policies have been so lax the past 20 years there has been so much capital flight. Businesses and investors aka the rich wallstreet pukes realize this. They are investing and sending money overseas to places like India, China, the middle east because they no the American consumer is finally tapped out. This recession isn't going to be over any time soon. It's only just beginning. The American economy and our country is changing forever. When you see the next generation worse off than the last as far as job security, wealth, standard of living etc...you know your country has turned the corner for the worse. Corporations have been selling us out for decades through the power of our government and elected officials. Anyone who blames the left or the right or the dems or repubs hasn't been paying attention. Reagan was as bad as Clinton who was as bad as Bush who was as bad or is as bad as Obama. If you think about it......as individuals many of us don't deserve what's happening to our country.......but COLLECTIVELY we deserve exactly what's coming our way. We have been living high on the hog for a century. Plundering and pillaging the rest of the world through force. America is the aging bully.
yup, all very good points. Times are changing for the USA, for the worse.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I already answered this question in a previous thread:

I couldn't agree more, not because I said the same thing in another thread on companies hoarding cash, but because it's true.

Uncertainty, and that's what we have here, is never good.

If we had a leader in the White House, a leader would say "yea or nay" on the extension or expiration of the tax cuts.

Instead, that has become a political tool. I think we know the answer, sort of.

Obama intends to let the tax cuts expire, but he won't publicly say that for fear that it will harm the Democrats in the elections.

Businesses are content to sit and wait until after the elections. A definitive answer on the tax cuts is incredibly important, because it will determine a company's revenues for the year.

If the tax cuts expire, then everyone feels that in the very first paycheck for 2011. Someone making $10/hour is going to lose $20 of disposable income that week, and $80 for the month.

So who gets cut out? Electronics? Cable/Satellite? High end retail? Clothing? Auto? Restaurants?

Someone is going to lose revenues.

And then Obamacare is a real issue.

It mandates minimum coverage and then mandates the minimum percentage the employer must pay. For the majority of businesses, it would be cheaper to drop coverage, tell the employees their on their own as far as health care plans, and pay the fines.

And then the "recovery," well the real story is here:

2005q1 12,379.5 12,534.1
2005q2 12,516.8 12,587.5
2005q3 12,741.6 12,683.2
2005q4 12,915.6 12,748.7
2006q1 13,183.5 12,915.9
2006q2 13,347.8 12,962.5
2006q3 13,452.9 12,965.9
2006q4 13,611.5 13,060.7
2007q1 13,789.5 13,089.3
2007q2 14,008.2 13,194.1
2007q3 14,158.2 13,268.5
2007q4 14,291.3 13,363.5
2008q1 14,328.4 13,339.2
2008q2 14,471.8 13,359.0
2008q3 14,484.9 13,223.5
2008q4 14,191.2 12,993.7
2009q1 14,049.7 12,832.6
2009q2 14,034.5 12,810.0
2009q3 14,114.7 12,860.8
2009q4 14,277.3 13,019.0
2010q1 14,446.4 13,138.8
2010q2 14,578.7 13,194.9

That's current US Dollars vs 2005 US Dollars.

So as you can see, there's a bit of inflation there.

I'm really kind of curious, because I don't really understand why the BEA would choose to use 2005 US Dollars as the constant. Normally you would use [year] 2000 US Dollars, but I suspect that would only show that inflation is much higher.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
What's that? Hire ten people and allow ten families a shot at survival?

That would reduce my skim...err...bonus down to just nineteen million bucks instead of the twenty mil I'm expecting.

We can't have that.

Sorry.

Signed,

F.U. Louzer, CEO

Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
For too many years, the middle class has been living on working-class wages and making up the difference with credit. That isn't sustainable, especially given the fact that so many folks can't afford to pay off present debt, let alone more.

The Federal Reserve and big Wall Street banks want to raise housing prices back to "where they were before" and get the consumers spending again, borrowing again. Won't happen. They have to let the debt out of the system before they can fill it up again.

Until then, people aren't buying like before, and that spells unemployment/underemployment for the workers. Pretty basic.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
What's that? Hire ten people and allow ten families a shot at survival?
They're responsible for their own survival. It isn't my job to hold their hand through every second of their life to make sure they make sound financial decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah
For too many years, the middle class has been living on working-class wages and making up the difference with credit.
That's because the Middle Class wanted to do that. No one held a gun to their heads and made them do that.

What idiot is so pathetic they can't save money for 6 months to pay cash for a big screen TV instead of buying it on credit and paying 2-3 times its value?

Hoy ****, watching TV on a 27" screen? The horror....the horror...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics