Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times

Advertisements

They call it Amway Global. I get it. It presents a unique opportunity to become a billionaire. But really?

I get dragged to these meetings and I meet some of the most insane people on the planet, bent on making some money trying to sell me some products. And yeah, their energy drink sucks big time. I'm a work out geek, and I haven't had even coke in ages and why would they think I would like another form of soda. Besides, I have tons of energy from eating lamb and beef, anyway.

They rent out hotels and some dude called a "diamond" screams from the top of his throat for about 2 hours. And like me, there are several other characters mercilessly dragged to these meetings, who, like me, LMAO, squirm their buns on those chairs for hours.

And these are your regular, average office going people who have been sold some weird idea of "job independence" and "financial stability". And it converts them into walking marketing stores and minions, always trying to befriend people and sell some products.

I'm not sick of it. I understand some people are cut out for that kind of work. But my ego is toooooooooooo damn big to actually solicit and market that 100 calorie nutrition shake which sends biologically unique phyto-nutrients up people's bums , which otherwise can never be found in your average banana or vegetable.

And the person dragging me there is a "key" person in my professional life, someone who I cannot ward off for the sake of business continuity

Also, I'm of Indian origin. And here's where it gets worse. Every desi airhead I run into in a random place like an Indian restaurant wants to be my friend and within 5 minutes I am to see a special DVD where some dude in a tie gives a pompous speech about "my" future

Question is: Does this really work? Really? Really? Anyone's had success with it around here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Question is: Does this really work? Really? Really? Anyone's had success with it around here??
No.

You're welcome.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
I personally know a few people who are involved and NO they have not made much money despite putting their heart and soul into it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Ok, that's what I thought.

But then, how do they manage to decoy such a huge population? The halls are generally packed. And it's filled with very optimistic people. And they don't even look loco. They are normal people, like the ones I see at the office.

What's sad - tons of young men and women. Maybe they are there like I am, unable to estrange a key business associate

This isn't new. 2 years ago, when I was working in the biggest bank in America (you know what it is ) there were people who used the bank's internal messaging system and tried their solicitation on Amway and other such similar companies. I literally had to threaten that I was going to escalate it to upper management. And back then, I was also young and reckless and I didn't care about estrangement.

And I have received a souvenir of a box of some of the weirdest energy shakes I have ever seen at least 10 times. They always meet my complex's garbage dump after a week

They could at least cut the energy drink crap and sell some milk or cappuccino, that might actually work on me.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Best answer is "thanx but NO thanx".

On a door to door sales person coming to my business trying to sell a ????able product my answer was always that I did not want it if it were for FREE. Once told this to a young person and challenged him to offer it for FREE...which he did and I said "NO THANKS". He left with a puzzeled look on his face.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Best answer is "thanx but NO thanx".

On a door to door sales person coming to my business trying to sell a ????able product my answer was always that I did not want it if it were for FREE. Once told this to a young person and challenged him to offer it for FREE...which he did and I said "NO THANKS". He left with a puzzeled look on his face.
It's not door to door at all.

You run into these folks everywhere. The happy hours, the golf grounds and even the gym locker room, coz most of the Amway products are about nutrition. They have one million shakes, energy drinks and even tablets

And the corporate world is all about cronyism. You irritate one, you irritate his entire network.

Let me cut it straight to the chase. This person sits in a budget committee, which funds one of my project's budget every fiscal year. The wrongmost person to fall out of favour with.

The number one rule set by PMI on project management techniques: understand the dynamics and politics of the stakeholders

My father was a teacher and he had his own farming/agriculture business too. Though he made a fraction of what I make today, he had "total" control and was dependent on none.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Don't waste your time with MLM/Amway-like money making schemes. For every person you may encounter who claims great financial success there are thousands who spent money to buy into it, but whom got nothing out of it.

If you want to make a good supplemental income or make real money, find a product or service you can sell to others for profit and learn to do it well with your own business.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
As I found quickly in my first business, which I reckon I was one of the select few that could have boasted of an honest consistent profit on ebay, you have to provide a unique product or service to the marketplace to make it.

The amway people are too dumb or uneducated to realize you wont get rich selling the same crap everyone else is pushing. I am sure there are a token few that are great sales people that made it work but most likely it was because they got a bunch of suckers to invest in books and dvds plus product stock.

There was a penniless guy I used to work with who is about 80 now. He is still working full time to survive because he has lost huge sums of money over these types of schemes. He used to foist it on people at work but I told him straight up never to bother me with that crap and he respected that. Others that didn't stand up to it head on, had to endure a new MLM scheme from him all the time.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:13 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
They are the modern day snake oil salesman...

I went to one of the get rich real estate things you see on tv....(just to see) They don't like it when you ask a real question... And they really didn't like it when I told them I already owned rental property..

Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
When you go to the meetings, tell everyone there about the great deals at Direct Buy, and every other MLM scheme that you can find. Make yourself so much in their mold that they no longer invite you to meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics