U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,376,507 times

Advertisements

"Deflation has also affected businesspeople by forcing them to invent new ways to survive in an economy where prices and profits only go down, not up."[1]
- from 'The New York Times'

Interesting article about the effects of deflation in Japan. Some may recall how several decades ago Japan was on fire and looked set to rule the world, or at least own it. No longer the case, as this article illustrates.

For those in the United States, this may have most relevance if substituting 'Japan' for 'United States' when reading this article. Not at that stage yet, but we are informed that the current US administration thinks it would be a great idea to print a lot more money in order to raise the inflation rate, to create more growth and demand, in effect to ignore all present economic lessons not learned in a rush back to business-as-usual. Which, by the way, based upon a non-sustainable model.

It will be discovered that both the laws of economics and physics apply. That a certain balance between deflation and inflation not at all a bad thing.

1) 'Japan, Once Dynamic, Is Disheartened by Decline,' The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/wo...agewanted=1&hp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,182,082 times
I just got back from Japan actually. It's a pretty poor country to be honest.

This is what most of Japan looks like:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_565356943020_2904979_33080343_2293669_n.jpg (broken link)
Tokyo

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs125.snc1/5373_565355940030_2904979_33080312_1153566_n.jpg (broken link)
Tokyo high school

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_565355984940_2904979_33080321_1700439_n.jpg (broken link)
Osaka

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_565355925060_2904979_33080309_6128609_n.jpg (broken link)
Tokyo

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_565356803300_2904979_33080342_6540666_n.jpg (broken link)
Japanese corporation in Tokyo

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs125.snc1/5373_565357601700_2904979_33080379_5243923_n.jpg (broken link)
Baseball stadium (notice the nets) in Hiroshima

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs125.snc1/5373_565355945020_2904979_33080313_5586944_n.jpg (broken link)
Kyoto residential areas

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_565357491920_2904979_33080377_2353929_n.jpg (broken link)
Kyoto

Japan is nothing like the Japan portrayed by Hollywood and our media, in the travel brochures, or in Japanese anime. It actually looks just like China or any other Eastern European country.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 PM

5,410 posts, read 10,357,376 times
Interesting perspectives. Thank you, both.

Very good article, too.

May be my (mis?)perception, but from what I have observed of limited working with Japanese Engineers, is that they do not really tend to innovate new ideas or new markets, but rather tend to do what others (often US) and do it better -- and usually faster + cheaper, as well.

But that seemed to fall apart for them come the Internet Revolution or whatever you want to call our nonsense of the '90s.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 AM

871 posts, read 1,506,733 times
Quote:
america is nothing like the america portrayed by Hollywood and our media, in the travel brochures, or in american films.
i replaced japan with america.

what the world sees of america is only and strictly "hollywood" or "hollywoodish" and only the glamorous aspects. even in movies, they only pick the nicest neighborhoods with the perfect house and white picket fence (they look so perfect in a way that you'd be hard pressed to find it in real life in the way they portray) or some very high-end area to represent people as if even most people live that way. that is far from the truth. i never see just ugly or average 'not on anyone's radar' cities and towns being filmed in most movies or tv shows and travel brochures just highlight the areas or attractions that are most popular or popular points of interest.

many foreigners visiting america and actually traveling outside of hotspots have a real eye opener.

most foreigners do not realize that there are poor ghettos (exceedingly worse than in japan), trailer parks, rural poor areas and just vast expanse of dull and not glamorous places and humdrum towns and cities. a lot of america is bible belt and pretty dull too. it has the look and feel of a 2nd to 3rd world country in "most" places, not even some. it's mostly ugly eye-sores or nothing to write home about. america is also not very clean. it is ugly strip malls, gas stations, turf etc and regular housing. non of this is recent, it's always been that way. surprise ya?

what is even most peculiar and strangest about your almost insane post is that those pics are not bad at all. it just looks like a normal and average place. and i can guarantee you that even those areas that are not the richest or most glamorous or shiny are cleaner than a similar place in america whether populated by whites or nonwhites. your post is exceedingly arrogant, biased, hypocritical, ignorant, and lacking any realism. i mean it really is amazing and puzzling how americans have become so dumb to not have any working critical thought at all or are blind to their own backyard. it's like there is a tape that runs in their head and cognitive dissonance together is used to evaluate reality.

now you get the picture??

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i replaced japan with america.

what the world sees of america is only and strictly "hollywood" or "hollywoodish" and only the glamorous aspects. even in movies, they only pick the nicest neighborhoods with the perfect house and white picket fence (they look so perfect in a way that you'd be hard pressed to find it in real life in the way they portray) or some very high-end area to represent people as if even most people live that way. that is far from the truth. i never see just ugly or average 'not on anyone's radar' cities and towns being filmed in most movies or tv shows and travel brochures just highlight the areas or attractions that are most popular or popular points of interest.

many foreigners visiting america and actually traveling outside of hotspots have a real eye opener.

most foreigners do not realize that there are poor ghettos (exceedingly worse than in japan), trailer parks, rural poor areas and just vast expanse of dull and not glamorous places and humdrum towns and cities. a lot of america is bible belt and pretty dull too. it has the look and feel of a 2nd to 3rd world country in "most" places, not even some. it's mostly ugly eye-sores or nothing to write home about. america is also not very clean. it is ugly strip malls, gas stations, turf etc and regular housing. non of this is recent, it's always been that way. surprise ya?
There are TONS of American films depicting its ghettos and poverty, as well as the bland strip malls and chains. Hell, life in the ghetto imitates art in America. Every foreigner visiting America thinks he's going to get shot or mugged by a gangbanger and is aware of the sharp income inequality and racial conflict.

You must live under a rock yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory000
what is even most peculiar and strangest about your almost insane post is that those pics are not bad at all. it just looks like a normal and average place. and i can guarantee you that even those areas that are not the richest or most glamorous or shiny are cleaner than a similar place in america whether populated by whites or nonwhites. your post is exceedingly arrogant, biased, hypocritical, ignorant, and lacking any realism. i mean it really is amazing and puzzling how americans have become so dumb to not have any working critical thought at all or are blind to their own backyard. it's like there is a tape that runs in their head and cognitive dissonance together is used to evaluate reality.

now you get the picture??
What a pathetic diatribe.

The average American lives in a single family home with an attached garage and two cars. There's no comparison with Japan.

My suggestion for you, move out of the country if you hate it so much. A one-way plane ticket to Europe or Asia is less than a week's salary for most Americans. Otherwise, the cognitive dissonance is all yours. You're clearly not cut out for a capitalist system where there can be losers.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There are TONS of American films depicting its ghettos and poverty, as well as the bland strip malls and chains. Hell, life in the ghetto imitates art in America. Every foreigner visiting America thinks he's going to get shot or mugged by a gangbanger and is aware of the sharp income inequality and racial conflict.

You must live under a rock yourself.

What a pathetic diatribe.

The average American lives in a single family home with an attached garage and two cars. There's no comparison with Japan.

My suggestion for you, move out of the country if you hate it so much. A one-way plane ticket to Europe or Asia is less than a week's salary for most Americans. Otherwise, the cognitive dissonance is all yours. You're clearly not cut out for a capitalist system where there can be losers.
don't pretend innocence with your post. it's obvious that americans usually are blinded by egotism to the point they always when comparing themselves with other countries, believe theirs is in so much better shape.

if you were honest, you would have never posted such ridiculous pics as some indication that they are poor. anyone can tell, if they have a brain, that nothing in those pics has anything wrong with them. and don't even make me laugh at the usual cherry-picking. gangbangers are not the only ones who commit crime and america not only has a high crime problem but many problems which affect the quality of life. living in a house is not the only aspect of a quality life. most americans are in debt and stress up to their eyeballs. america has tons of problems including drug, crime, and many social problems.

you just admitted a bit because i called you out on it and there was no denying it. it's very clear in your post in stating leave if you hate it, which that was not even my point. now, that is the real truth!

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
if you were honest, you would have never posted such ridiculous pics as some indication that they are poor. anyone can tell, if they have a brain, that nothing in those pics has anything wrong with them. and don't even make me laugh at the usual cherry-picking. gangbangers are not the only ones who commit crime and america not only has a high crime problem but many problems which affect the quality of life. living in a house is not the only aspect of a quality life. most americans are in debt and stress up to their eyeballs. america has tons of problems including drug, crime, and many social problems.
You're a greedy little fool if you think the stresses of American life do not apply to the Japanese or any other country in the world. The average home price in Japan, Canada, Australia and all of Western Europe are all more expensive than the US. Median home prices in Australia are almost 400% higher than American homes, while wages are nearly the same. Canadians take 40-year mortgages to afford their homes and the Japanese live in hole-in-the-walls the size of American SUVs. This and the lack of job opportunities in those countries are the real reasons you're not living in Europe or Japan right now.

To be perfectly frank, with your attitude, you would be a loser in any country.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM

you just keep confirming my assessment. you can't admit when you are wrong about any issue or even slightly. case in point, you just focused on the house and cherry picked again. you are ignorant about the concept of what a quality life entails and that it's different than what others might think. i never said that other countries do not have problems since that was not my point. you assume that i said america 'sucks' (that's a typical american ploy when any criticism is brought up to pretense and also a subverted superiority complex), yet i'm pointing out that it is not the rosy and great picture that most americans portray. you exaggerate on the other spectrum because you weren't being honest in the first place. i know that is the real issue with you. look how you are even more viciously defensive than what my post was. you don't realize that any criticism of america that is equal to any criticism of other countries is almost intolerable to most americans because they unconsciously or subconsciously have a sense of superiority over any other culture or country.

this is your problem. i "can" afford to live in a house but i choose not to. i don't consider having large spaces to equate to higher quality life. higher quality life is all-encompassing and has many factors and variables.

i as well as my spouse earn a pretty high income but we live in a small two-bedroom apartment with our child which is sparsely furnished. i also don't want a huge house to have to clean and prefer a more spartan life. i have relatives that earn double my income and they also do not live lavish lifestyles. i've lived in japan and they walk a lot and are a lot healthier.

YOU assume that a quality life means you have to live lavishly and excessively consumer-based but i don't. i don't want a house, mortgage and two gas guzzling cars or a lawn to mow or a house to fix. it's because i don't need it and i don't need it to be happy.

now, what other presumptions and biased cultural standards would you like to further express? lol.

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
you are ignorant about the concept of what a quality life entails and that it's different than what others might think.
Quality of life means choice, asshѳle. And it seems America provides you with that choice just fine as the rest of your rambling post implied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00
i "can" afford to live in a house but i choose not to. i don't consider having large spaces to equate to higher quality life. higher quality life is all-encompassing and has many factors and variables.

i as well as my spouse earn a pretty high income but we live in a small two-bedroom apartment which is sparsely furnished. i also don't want a huge house to have to clean and prefer a more spartan life. i have relatives that earn double my income and they also do not live lavish lifestyles.

YOU assume that a quality life means you have to live lavishly and excessively consumer-based but i don't. i don't want a house, mortgage and two gas guzzling cars or a lawn to mow or a house to fix. it's because i don't need it and i don't need it to be happy.
The why do you begrudge others who choose to have a larger home, a lawn and two cars? You made your choice but you want everyone else to live like you? Spoken like a true malingering fascist.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Quality of life means choice, asshѳle. And it seems America provides you with that choice just fine as the rest of your rambling post implied:

The why do you begrudge others who choose to have a larger home, a lawn and two cars? You made your choice but you want everyone else to live like you? Spoken like a true malingering fascist.
you keep confirming my assessment further. you keep putting words in my mouth just as you insinuated that i said america sucks, that is what you said.

now, you are further being arrogant by stating america gave me a choice in housing. that was not the point either. the point was that there is nothing wrong with those pics and for you to post them as some indication that they are poor paints you as the one who is spoiled and especially arrogant or biased as well as dishonest, not me. you don't get that.

i don't "begrudge" others who choose to live in a house. you are a hoot and don't make any sense. i was pointing out that it was assinine of you to post those pics as an indication of a "pretty poor" country, it doesn't even make any sense. you are really arrogant. btw, there are lots of suburbs in america that look like crap or old as well as apartment complexes. actually, many look much worse than that. is america a poor country because of it? lol

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics