U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM

7,805 posts, read 17,572,960 times

Advertisements

The Fix

There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!
Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new AMERICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

219 posts, read 524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The Fix

There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!
Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new AMERICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
Hey, it's much cheaper than the billions they're spending now. I like it!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Well it's still pretty expensive:
40,000,000 people * $1,000,000 = $40,000,000,000,000.
That's 40 trillion bucks if I did the math correctly!

BUT....we would get more bang for the buck if the $$$ was spent like this, rather than giving gifts to corporate entities to whom a million bucks is chump change. Additionally, SS & Medicare would stand a decent chance of getting fixed, and we'd make the tax cheaters in congress pay up.

BUT...a plan along these lines would benefit we-the-people, so it ain't never gonna happen as they say in some circles.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 524,911 times
Quote:
Well it's still pretty expensive:
40,000,000 people * $1,000,000 = $40,000,000,000,000.
That's 40 trillion bucks if I did the math correctly!

BUT....we would get more bang for the buck if the $$$ was spent like this, rather than giving gifts to corporate entities to whom a million bucks is chump change. Additionally, SS & Medicare would stand a decent chance of getting fixed, and we'd make the tax cheaters in congress pay up.

BUT...a plan along these lines would benefit we-the-people, so it ain't never gonna happen as they say in some circles.
Ah yes, you are correct. For whatever reason, I was thinking a $40,000,000 price tag on the plan.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,211,395 times
Economy crashes because almost every American company is suddenly floundering due to unplanned and immediate brain/experience drain.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM

I seriously doubt that slackjaw. I'm not one of them, but I suspect there are alot of unemployed young bucks out there who can think outside the box that caused this mess. The current brains/ experience is the mindset that got us into this mess.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM

22,798 posts, read 15,979,434 times
Quote:
Not really. It would actually reward the people who created this mess.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM

7,316 posts, read 9,015,849 times
The writer still ignored the root cause.

Our monetary unit is worth nothing. It buys less and less each day. It is dying. Our banks are zombies, already dead from feasting on this garbage paper.

Every experiment in history (hundreds of them) with un-backed paper fiat money have FAILED.

Now it's our turn. Problem is - we'll take the rest of the world with us. They all use un-backed paper fiat money as well. (Sigh).

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Mircea wrote:
Not really. It would actually reward the people who created this mess.
So we get rewarded as you like to call it. So what...it would still be a win-win situation. The deadweight baby boomers or the ones who brought the mess upon us are paid off to move on and the new blood is given a chance to show the country what they can do. Hopefully the current president and the younger members of congress are not examples of how the newbloods will operate. If that's the case, long may the baby-boomers stay in power. I didn't much care for the baby boomers Clinton and Bush, but those guys were more or less capable leaders compared to the current guy in charge.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,210,220 times
Or....you could simply do what he know worked in the past:

1.) Increase aggregate demand via government stimulus.

This would cost significantly less and actually result in useful things, of course we don't do it because Americans don't understand basic economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics