U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,745,391 times

Advertisements

I'm sure all the people who post how bad these property taxes are,show up at their local government,school board and fire district meetings, and ask questions about costs.Yeah right,most of them couldn't be bothered if "Dancing with the Stars" is on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,754,735 times
Basically you want more service for so called free expect to pay for it directly or indirectly because of higher taxes and fees.Want more entitlements you will pay for it with higher prices ;fees or less jobs as now.Thyere i the end is no free lunch.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,680,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

In every case, blame and fault rests solely with the home-owner.
Thank goodness, you've solved the problem. Now we can all sleep tonight. Just think of all the problems this country would have, it if were not for the self-appointed problem solvers who just say "It's your fault" and the problems magically go away.

You've solved the crime problem by saying "It's the criminals' falut", and you've solved the unemployment problem by saying "It's the workers' fault", and you've solved the education problem by saying "it's the students' fault", and you've solved the drug problem by saying "It's the drug users' fault" and you've solved the health problem by saying "it's the patients' fault", and now we have no more problems and we can all go to sleep.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,227,761 times
I don't think he was attempting to solve anything, but cool story bro.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 20,109,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Are you suggesting everyone gets a waiver on paying property taxes until we have rooted out all inefficiencies in city government and all agreed on which extracurricular things are worth keeping?
I am not suggesting a specific action, just pointing out the waste factor that good-income households can cover and many, including the vast population of low-income elderly, should not have to. I'm sure our city and town officials could come to some kind of action plan for this, if they could get themselves together for an hour or so and think. But then, they'd have to admit to the waste.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yessiree.

Funny, but the same web-site pushing that nonsense told us just a few months ago how the housing market collapsed.

????? The housing market didn't collapse? I guess the media are wrong, once again.

Housing values are down. Sure, there are outliers as there are a few selected markets that are impervious to goings-on, but for the most part, housing values are still down.

Values are "down" across the board, and wiped out in others. But then, you wouldn't be likely to venture into such places so it would be hard for you to see firsthand.

If you buy a home and then put on blinders and walk around the rest of your life, then you deserve whatever fate befalls you.

This statement sounds like something Scarpia, in the opera Tosca, would say. I guess you'd be content to calmly step over the displaced elderly hunched in the town square some winter night. And you make an awful lot of assumptions, re: putting on blinders. Most elderly had slow increments over many years in the rise on their property taxes. Now we are talking about 1/3 jumps and who knows what in the near future.

So apparently they ignored the advice of their real estate attorneys. What? They didn't have real estate attorney's on retainer? Too bad for them. If you can't afford a real estate attorney, then you have no business owning a home, and if they chose of their own free-will to do without (which is what they did -- I guarantee you I can find $1,200 for an annual retainer fee in any budget of any home-owner in these United States) then they should suffer the consequences.

What, pray, is a real estate atty going to do for a woman or man in their 80s who weren't quite so savvy as you in the stock market, and who is losing their home due to untenable taxes??? I hope your parents are as rich as you.

I will also bet they were greedy, sitting around waiting for prices to rise even higher so they could get huge profit off of the sale of their house and they got caught watching the paint dry.

Oh wow, now I realize your true potential as a novelist, your imagination is fantastic. Have you started writing yet? And certainly, you did not invest in anything hoping for any return.

Did they send e-mails to city hall? Call? Write letters? Raise the issue on local talk radio? Show up at a town hall meeting? Vote?...but again, they voted for them or they didn't vote at all, which is the same as giving tacit consent.

Well as a matter of fact, in many cities there are citizens action groups made up of elderly and poor, and compassionate groups like the Harvard-organized one that is helping people to take these kinds of actions. Senior citizens are not dolts who sit around whining, most if not all I know do get out in vote. But surprise, we only get into office the same boobs who promise lower taxes and just can't seem to follow through. They'd rather raise taxes than turn off the lights burning all night in city hall, or weed out the unneeded positions in city government.

They're retired, so it ain't like they got something to do. They can get their asses down to city hall and picket.

Post again when you're 80. Hopefully you'll be in robust health.

Democracy requires participation 24/7, not for 3 minutes once every 2 or 4 years. If they aren't going to participate, then they can't complain.

Democracy in this country only ensures the right to vote. It does not ensure that a real democratic process ensues. And you are making the gross assumption that elderly unable to pay their taxes aren't participating or are complaining.
A few observations, above.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically you want more service for so called free expect to pay for it directly or indirectly because of higher taxes and fees.Want more entitlements you will pay for it with higher prices ;fees or less jobs as now.Thyere i the end is no free lunch.
The elderly people on my street do not want more services in the way of parades or after school programs. They want street lights, for one thing. And a few more police in the wake of a string of home burglaries. They are getting the former, they are not getting the latter. No one is asking for a free lunch. They pay decent amount of taxes and are expecting the basics.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM

5,538 posts, read 22,655,182 times
Tax authorities can be tyrannical bureaucracies that run over citizens with unfair policies and the judicial branch may not offer any assistance.

In 1997 I was presented with a tax bill (in Dallas Texas) because the previous owner had taken a tax reduction that was not allowed. I sent letters, called, and turned over the details to the title company as I was not legally responsible for taxes of the previous owner.

It had no impact and a lien was filed against my home and it was scheduled for auction. I had to pay to avoid foreclosure.

Skipping a very long story there was a class action law suit brought by title companies that went on for 10 years where the taxing authority pushed to get it heard by a favorite (and senile) judge.

In the end there was an astounding judgment where the judge agreed with the taxing authorities! I was liable for taxes owed by a previous owner and assessed after the fact!

The title company reimbursed me (with no interest) over ten years after the taxes were paid.

Do Not assume there is justice in this country when dealing with taxes and property rights.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 AM

59,495 posts, read 46,477,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have a modest (1150 SF), 6-rm ranch in a desirable northeast location. My taxes are $2400/yr, plus a fair amt in water and sewer. I don't think the tax amount to be unfair, considering this is a small town (and a nice one), and taxes have to be raised to pay for town services. But on a fixed, modest income, with the state out of money and always threatening to raise taxes, I'm concerned that my state could see property taxes like NH and NY state. I don't care to swap property taxes for income tax or sales tax. I live modestly and don't buy much. I can control that; I cannot control property taxes. It's the young, two-(high)-income couples with kids that are always clamoring for higher taxes (with referenda for overrides), or vote in community preservation acts which effectively raises taxes. They are not on fixed incomes, they want the best for their children. Who can blame them? But who should have to shoulder the costs for their education standards, esp at a time when the extracurricular stuff is, while quite nice, is not necessary in view of the fact we have hardly any streetlights or police force.
I agree with you. There needs to be a balance and that's going to fall to the local government and citizen involvement.

However, would you care to comment on the initial post to the thread about predatory banks blah blah blah? LOL

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
However, would you care to comment on the initial post to the thread about predatory banks blah blah blah? LOL

Yes.

Banks do not do ANYTHING without a what's-in-it-for-them.

They should NOT be involved in municipal (tax) matters. They will be selling the tax bills like the mortgages got sold and pretty soon no one will be able to trace the entity that is owed.

Things are getting out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics