Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your earlier post clearly indicates that if the local governtment is too inept or unwilling or whatever to collect from the delinquent tax owners then so be it.

This means that you and I would either wind up paying higher property taxes or would receive less service for our tax monies due to budget shortfalls.
It means they rightfully lose out and (gasp) have to eliminate something from their budget, hopefully in their own offices. I guess the town could also get up a posse and show up with torches in the middle of the night at the homestead of the delinquent taxpayer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Now we are talking about bailouts and the fraud\ineptness of banks etc? (We've beaten those to death here and as a group aren't real happy about it.)

THIS thread topic is using a collection agency to collect property taxes.

If someone stops paying their loan (even if they can afford too) that's 100% legal and that's the way loans work.

However, if they don't pay property taxes then that's a different type of obligation.
The mortgage debt is to the lender. These are obviously traded all the time so who knows who (what "lender") owns the note anymore.

The property tax debt is to the town. Put this in the hands of banks and what you get is a nonprofit entity giving over their collections to a for-profit entity. Sound unethical to say the least, considering the implications of for-profit.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh please. I do not think elderly Mr. and Mrs. Smith are going to "skip town" on their property taxes in the middle of the night. They are in fact not going to "skip" anywhere. If someone does skip town, the town can take their property and make some money to pay items on their ridiculous out of proportion school budget.
You keep dragging this issue off topic.

We've already hashed out that we are both in favor of property tax caps or other aid for elderly pensioners etc. We've already hashed out that we don't like wasteful spending.

I'm sorry you can't get your brain around the concept that there are deadbeats out there who don't pay thier property taxes and have to keep constructing these strawman arguments since frankly it's tiring since I've asked you repeatedly and you seem to be incapable of sticking to point in a friendly discussion.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
The mortgage debt is to the lender. These are obviously traded all the time so who knows who (what "lender") owns the note anymore.

The property tax debt is to the town. Put this in the hands of banks and what you get is a nonprofit entity giving over their collections to a for-profit entity. Sound unethical to say the least, considering the implications of for-profit.
Town needs a new well dug? They pay a for-profit driller with tax dollars to drill the well. Maybe instead they should go out and buy 600,000 worth of drilling equipment and keep a guy on staff who can operate it so that he can work once every 5-6 years?

Town gets hit with a 1 in 100 year snow storm? Yep, they hire for-profit contractors to cover the extra load. The alternative is for the town to buy wayyyyyy more equipment than they'd use most years which would be wasteful and costly.

Municipal bond sales? They sell those on the equity markets paying a commission to a for-profit outfit.

Towns use LOTS of for-profit private contractors to take care of tasks and services that would otherwise cost them even more to provide due to scale, efficiencies, expertise etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You keep dragging this issue off topic.

We've already hashed out that we are both in favor of property tax caps or other aid for elderly pensioners etc. We've already hashed out that we don't like wasteful spending.

I'm sorry you can't get your brain around the concept that there are deadbeats out there who don't pay thier property taxes and have to keep constructing these strawman arguments since frankly it's tiring since I've asked you repeatedly and you seem to be incapable of sticking to point in a friendly discussion.
I'm sorry that you cannot get your brain around the concept of (hello, hello) predatory tax collectors. THAT is the title of this thread, not tax caps or other aid. I have stuck to that issue, stating that BANKS and their profit-driven motives are (hello hello ) predators and that BANKS taking on tax collection is unethical and should be illegal. Their is nothing unfriendly in my comments. You just need to be able to follow the discussion based on the OP.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Town needs a new well dug? They pay a for-profit driller with tax dollars to drill the well. Maybe instead they should go out and buy 600,000 worth of drilling equipment and keep a guy on staff who can operate it so that he can work once every 5-6 years?

Town gets hit with a 1 in 100 year snow storm? Yep, they hire for-profit contractors to cover the extra load. The alternative is for the town to buy wayyyyyy more equipment than they'd use most years which would be wasteful and costly.

Municipal bond sales? They sell those on the equity markets paying a commission to a for-profit outfit.

Towns use LOTS of for-profit private contractors to take care of tasks and services that would otherwise cost them even more to provide due to scale, efficiencies, expertise etc.
A nonprofit takes on paid contractors (or is supposed to) through a publicly posted bidding process. What the city tax collection offices are doing is giving over the tax collection to an entity over which they ultimately have no control. Talk about a debacle. That tax debt becomes a "commodity" that will be traded, no longer in the domain of the city to whom the debt is owed. As with mortgages, who will know in a few years to whom those taxes are owed? If someone cannot pay their taxes, the city should take the house/deed and put it in the hands of a realtor or auctioneer. Either way they will get at least what is owed if not a good deal more. The banks don't need to profit any more than they already do. It's almost like saying hey, let's give student loan collections to the banks. OK.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

A nonprofit takes on paid contractors (or is supposed to) through a publicly posted bidding process. What the city tax collection offices are doing is giving over the tax collection to an entity over which they ultimately have no control. That tax debt becomes a "commodity" that will be traded, no longer in the domain of the city to whom the debt is owed. If someone cannot pay their taxes, the city should take the house/deed and put it in the hands of a realtor or auctioneer. Either way they will get at least what is owed if not a good deal more. The banks don't need to profit any more than they already do. They ought to get off their duffs and start lending.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry that you cannot get your brain around the concept of (hello, hello) predatory tax collectors. THAT is the title of this thread, not tax caps or other aid. I have stuck to that issue, stating that BANKS and their profit-driven motives are (hello hello ) predators and that BANKS taking on tax collection is unethical and should be illegal. Their is nothing unfriendly in my comments. You just need to be able to follow the discussion based on the OP.
Which is why when I brought up how hard it can be to collect from deadbeats skipping town you poo poo'd it by.....oh yeah....going back to an example of a poor old couple and how ludicrous it would be for them to skip town.

Complete misdirection and refusal to address the difficulty of collections in the real world.

Next time just write, "I like lamp."

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Complete misdirection and refusal to address the difficulty of collections in the real world.

Next time just write, "I like lamp."
Western civilization has evolved till now with plenty of folks not being able to pay their property taxes--my goodness, how have cities and towns ever managed without the BANKS being collection agencies???

What, in your opinion, has so changed that it appears logical to you that BANKS need to be in on the game?

Huh?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Western civilization has evolved till now with plenty of folks not being able to pay their property taxes--my goodness, how have cities and towns ever managed without the BANKS being collection agencies???

What, in your opinion, has so changed that it appears logical to you that BANKS need to be in on the game?

Huh?
Hmmmm....so your premise is that this is a new phenomenon? Interesting but I'm not sure I would agree with this.

What has changed? Seriously? Look around at the societal mobility, people moving every few years across the country and even overseas. Google such phrases as jet age, information age, mobile society if you don't believe me.

A business guy in my hometown stiffed as many people as possible including the various tax men and then *poof* left the country.

You know they also use debt collection on child support deadbeats? Why? Because it can be hard to find people and the government can quite shockingly be quite inept at it.

There are entire for-profit industries that survive solely because people try to skip out on debts. Repo-operations, debt collections, lawyers....it's enormous. I say this just as a reference to the extent of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics