Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I use only one credit card which is paid in full the 26th of each month. All my recurring charges are billed to that card - no fees whatsoever - telephone, internet/cable, cell phone, newspaper. Do the same with medical bills and groceries. Couple of insurance payments come directly out of my checking a couple of times a year, but I always get 3 weeks notice on those. I don't worry about the balance in my checking account except once a month when that credit card bill is due. I rarely write checks and never use my debit card. This way I have only one date to worry about - the date the credit card payment is due - which I schedule online the early part of the month when I get the statement. Never get late notices, fees, and don't pay interest, either.

You sound very organized! I'd like to be able to set everything up like that, but since my payday is floating, I have to be able to move around the dates that I pay my bills. I do pay them all online though. I can't remember how many years it's been since I actually used a paper check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM

278 posts, read 993,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
They sent this WARNING 5 days BEFORE the due date? What the heck? Swallow my pride? What are you saying? The next bill won't come out BEFORE this one is due NEXT WEEK.

I've always paid my bills on time, rarely late - maybe once or twice on one or two bills in the past 20 years. So, it surprised me to get a warning about disconnection BEFORE the bill is even due.

BTW - it wouldn't have been late, despite the fact that I forgot, as my bill paying service would've sent me a reminder 1 day before it was due (the amount of time it needs to send payment electronically, as per their agreement with AT&T)
That is odd to send a message before the bill is due, unless you missed last month and you didn't realize it.

I did have a problem with a company a few months back... I was enrolled in autopay, and when they updated their website, it kicked me off of autopay. So next thing I know, I'm getting an email saying I haven't paid in two months and there were late fees. I sent an email saying I noticed their website has changed and I believe my autopay was cancelled due to their changes. They waived the late fees without admitting guilt.

The second thing I thought about when I read you posts... if this message was sent through email, it could be a scam. I constantly get emails from "United States Postal Service", "FBI", "Comcast", DirecTV", and other organizations asking me to update my information, but it is a scam. If you get emails like this, don't follow the links in the email. Go to the company's website and check your information that way.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 AM

98 posts, read 181,169 times
AT&T is the same ole fraudelent company.I don`t do business with them or Comcrap.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
It's your responsibility to remember to pay your bill. Most utilities send these notices out when you don't pay your bill and the next bill comes out. Ignore it, and you will be disconnected. Swallow your pride and lose the attitude then get that bill paid.
Did you read the post? They said the warning came before the due date.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:52 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you read the post? They said the warning came before the due date.
Read the email, people. The OP is grossly misinterpreting it. It's a standard "your bill is due on X date for X amount" auto-notification email.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Dear Valued Customer,

As of Friday October 22 at 2 AM, this account had a balance due. If you have recently made a payment, it may not be included below.

Bill Amount Payment $78.35
Due Date Account October 27, 2010
Balance $78.35

If your services have been or are scheduled to be disconnected for non-payment, please contact us today.

Nope, there's nothing more to the story.

Looking at the email, there is a box at the end, "encouraging" me to sign up for automatic payments to be deducted from my account... which I would NEVER do. My aunt did that once. Her utility company accidentally billed her $11,000 dollars. It took 3 months to straighten out, longer to repair the damage to her credit. Initially, the utility company wouldn't refund the money (that took a court order) but instead let her know that she had a "credit" somewhere in the neighborhood of $10, 875 dollars. (The clerk processing payments accidentally added two zeros at the end of the billed amount.)
And this upsets you why? I've had my electricity turned off once, had notices on my door saying it would be the next day, had my water turned off twice.

You need to realize some things aren't worth getting upset over. So pay your bill and just forget about it.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Looks like a e-mail bill as you probaly don't get one by mail. Nothig threatening just notice of terms included.i pay by mail and have never gotten one but the terms are on regular if you read closely.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It's just a payment due notice with a genaric notice attrahed. nothing to get upset about really.Oct 22 is the billing date and the 27th the due date.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I don't even get that warning with my dial up carrier. The card i use was stolen, meaning the bank showed items someone one else bought in Texas, and new cards were on the way but delayed by the back. With no warning the day my bill was over due, bam no service.

With no warning i had no way to know the auto account hadn't been been paid. I was lucky enough to plug in another card.

This is the 21st century, i wouldn't take it to personal. There is no honor any more in much. This is the 4th time my card numbers have been stolen, presumably but loose security after i bought something some where, and i don't buy on line at all. One place i know me and millions of others had accounts stolen was from Hannafords a grocery store!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM

458 posts, read 1,670,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't even get that warning with my dial up carrier. The card i use was stolen, meaning the bank showed items someone one else bought in Texas, and new cards were on the way but delayed by the back. With no warning the day my bill was over due, bam no service.

With no warning i had no way to know the auto account hadn't been been paid. I was lucky enough to plug in another card.

This is the 21st century, i wouldn't take it to personal. There is no honor any more in much. This is the 4th time my card numbers have been stolen, presumably but loose security after i bought something some where, and i don't buy on line at all. One place i know me and millions of others had accounts stolen was from Hannafords a grocery store!

I don't follow. What does having a stolen card have to do with paying your bill? I mean, I get not paying any amounts that weren't yours, but most credit card companies take the disputed charges off until the matter is resolved. But you are still responsible for paying your bill. Why does it matter if the new cards were delayed, you still got your bill on time, right? So why would you not pay it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics