U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,647,547 times
Reputation: 5180

Advertisements

http://theburningplatform.com/blog/2010/10/20/idepression-2-0-featured-article/ (broken link)

This article articulates in simplicity, the reality of the present situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
 
2,592 posts, read 4,876,836 times
Reputation: 1947
Also take a long at Dubai. They overbuilt and now they there housing bubble is bursting. All these plans they had to build and build are coming to an end and they are slashing projects as fast as they can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,966,402 times
Reputation: 16886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
http://theburningplatform.com/blog/2010/10/20/idepression-2-0-featured-article/ (broken link)

This article articulates in simplicity, the reality of the present situation.
This makes a very good point. Without food stamps and 99 weeks what would it look like? Anyone checked out how busy and maxed out the food banks are? We have plenty of poverty, we have just put a pretty curtain in front of it.

And we should not forget that there ARE places where things are very visible. Check out the tent cities in areas where the citiies have decided that a regulated and protected tent city for the homeless is preferable to one that isn't, since it will be there anyway.

My son is 19 and I hope he gets his act together soon, for him and the kids of his generation a big lesson in LIFE is looming and it will be a shocker. I wonder what the rate of unemployment for the under 25 is when you factor it just like they did in the thirties. Where he lives in socal its over 25% with filtered data.

Somewhere is a post about sales of chips and crackers, cheap snack things, and how they have plumeted in the last few months. That says a whole lot about how things are too. When you think before getting the dollar bag of chips it means things are really tight.

Good post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,806 posts, read 19,845,304 times
Reputation: 6455
My age group lived and remembers growing up in the depression yrs of the 1930's.

20-30 yrs from now the young people of today will remark of growing up in the depression of the late 2000 yrs.

A continous revolving cycle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,647,547 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
My age group lived and remembers growing up in the depression yrs of the 1930's.

20-30 yrs from now the young people of today will remark of growing up in the depression of the late 2000 yrs.

A continous revolving cycle.
I wish more people understood what you are saying. They would understand the importance of knowing history. Every thing on earth has a cycle, and if you live long enough, you get to see that first hand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,925,014 times
Reputation: 27653
But this is a digital depression. You can't tell who is on food stamps or who is on unemployment or who is getting housing subsidies, etc. Gone are the days of the paper and lines.

I read on some blog they've dubbed this the iDepression.
It also went on to speculate that because you don't see it happening around you it doesn't exist therefore many people are believing that the recession is over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,966,402 times
Reputation: 16886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I wish more people understood what you are saying. They would understand the importance of knowing history. Every thing on earth has a cycle, and if you live long enough, you get to see that first hand.
My mom grew up in the 30's. After my grandfather deserted her, my grandmother supported two kids on the money from serving samples at the local Ralphs. They also had food always on the stove for migrants who were hungry and were fed. This in socal right next to Hollywood.

My mom taught me to always have a supply of food. I don't think she intended to but it was just ingrained in her. But it has been a lesson which has proven very useful in the way life worked out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,966,402 times
Reputation: 16886
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But this is a digital depression. You can't tell who is on food stamps or who is on unemployment or who is getting housing subsidies, etc. Gone are the days of the paper and lines.

I read on some blog they've dubbed this the iDepression.
It also went on to speculate that because you don't see it happening around you it doesn't exist therefore many people are believing that the recession is over.
Until it catches up with them. Then they may be surprised when they discover who else is struggling. I think those that are are not reluctant to talk about it with those who share the situation but would rather keep it quiet from others. So the people who want everything to just be fine can delude themselves.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have to try multiple cards when they buy groceries or don't know which buttons to push on the state ones. It's interesting how this kind of stuff used to bring impatience on the part of people waiting but now it doesn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM
 
5,410 posts, read 10,358,934 times
Reputation: 4493
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's interesting how this kind of stuff used to bring impatience on the part of people waiting but now it doesn't.
Very good observation.

Acceptance. And maybe even some tolerance. It is what's for dinner.

Sort of think we could all make it through a lot easier with a whole lot more of that.

==================

Meanwhile I see this thread is lacking the standard == Must-Have-Happy-Thoughts-Good-Business-Happy-Days-Are-Here-Again.

so here we goes . . .

DUNNO-WHY-YOU-DOOMERS-ARE-CALLING-THIS-A-DEPRESSION-IT-IS-ONLY-THE-LARGEST-RECESSION-IN-MOST-FOLKS-LIFETIME-WITH-NO-END-IN-SIGHT-SO-IT-IS-NOT-A-DEPRESSION-NOT-A-DEPRESSION-NOT-A-DEPRESSION.

Must Chase Unhappy Thoughts AWAY. AWAY!

There. That should cover it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 76,925,014 times
Reputation: 27653
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Until it catches up with them. Then they may be surprised when they discover who else is struggling. I think those that are are not reluctant to talk about it with those who share the situation but would rather keep it quiet from others. So the people who want everything to just be fine can delude themselves.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have to try multiple cards when they buy groceries or don't know which buttons to push on the state ones. It's interesting how this kind of stuff used to bring impatience on the part of people waiting but now it doesn't.
Wow..yes I have seen this on several occasions at my supermarket.
Interesting data point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top