Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,694 times

Advertisements

I want to thank everyone for their input on this! I really appreciate everyone's perspective and all point of views are being taken for what I will do next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,778 times
Default I have two job offers one is temp to hire and one is a perm job

I have 2 jobs that were offered. One is through a temp agency and they say it is temp to hire? But, is it really. The contract is 14 months they say. The other job is a perm job I found myself. With the temp agency...if I take that job, will the company REALLY hire me?? Or is it up to the agency? I want to know how it REALLY works in those agencies..HELP!!!! Thanks.

Kristin

Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I always worked grocery type jobs....clerk employed by actual grocer and outside merchandiser for soda company.

My friend gave me a # for a temp that found her this great job she loves. I go in...get 45 wpm, score decent on computer programs and have an excellent resume. Her company was hiring and had my resume and loved it. They wanted me...problem was I was at the temp agency already. So technically I could have cut out the middle man and went straight to the job and they would have sent me to the temp....saving them money and making me more money per hour. OOPS
Anyways...3 months went by like that and I have been perm for a good 6 months now.

I went to 2 other temp agencies and they were all the same...take the tests and ask you about the job you want...No real problem there.
The problem is within the company you get sent to. Some just have a high turnover rate because they dont want any perm. employees. You just gotta go for it and do your best and hope for the best.
My company has kept 4/5 of us within the past year in our offices...with the exception of one really lazy guy who was late everyday and got NOTHING accomplished.
Im very impressed with the one I actually went through. I love this type of work in an office compared to customer service.
I have 2 offers now. One is temp to perm and one is perm I found myself? How does it work. Will the company REALLY HIRE me??? I want to know how those temp agencies really work. Thanks.

Kristin

Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin22 View Post
I have 2 offers now. One is temp to perm and one is perm I found myself? How does it work. Will the company REALLY HIRE me??? I want to know how those temp agencies really work. Thanks.

Kristin
Oh and I beleive the job is a 14 month contract, I am billing a construction job at the site? When and how do I get paid from the construction company and not the agency? HELP!!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input on this! I really appreciate everyone's perspective and all point of views are being taken for what I will do next.
How do you use this site? How do I get back to the msgs I send?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
I'll give you an employer's perspective of temp agencies -

We have used them to find permanent employees before. In a state like California there is not a probation period to try someone out (at least not as far as I know) and so we can hire someone for a month, let them go, and they can file for unemployment on us. As someone mentioned above it gives both the employee and employer a chance to try each other out.

That being said, at least 90% of our new hires are friends and acquaintances of current employers. We have never taken out a classified ad. We have never had to and I would be hesitant to do so.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
Default Employers, do it yourself!

I cannot imagine that these agencies are doing everything for those companies they have contracts with. I had great success for years with agencies, getting wonderful temp and permanent positions. Now, the agencies are so hungry for the jobs they are scamming from the classified we are picking from!

I have nothing but venom for them now. I sent my resume in to Apple One. I set up an appointment. Just hours before the appointment, I was called to cancel the appointment. She said I did not have enough experience as an administrative assistant or in an office. I have 25 years experience. I asked her if she had the right resume. She was indignant. I hung up on her after she became abusive. Apple One had the nerve to send me a survey the next day asking how the interview went!

Two weeks later, Act One, also Apple One, called to ask me to come in and be put on the books. I drove 30 miles to that particular office. I went through the hour of videos and testing. I aced everything! I spoke to the recruiter. She said she would call me the next day after she spoke with my references. She had three jobs for me. I was elated and didn't sweat the long commute whatsoever. I was pretty Polly Anna considering she was interrupted consistently during my interview. I should have known better.

That was three months ago. Apple One continues to advertise, I continue to forward to my consultant and ask if I can be submitted. My references have not be contacted.

Employers need to just deal with direct recruiting. I cannot imagine that there are any quality staff members being submitted when the consultants do not even read the resumes they have on file.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMCampbell View Post
I cannot imagine that these agencies are doing everything for those companies they have contracts with. I had great success for years with agencies, getting wonderful temp and permanent positions. Now, the agencies are so hungry for the jobs they are scamming from the classified we are picking from!

I have nothing but venom for them now. I sent my resume in to Apple One. I set up an appointment. Just hours before the appointment, I was called to cancel the appointment. She said I did not have enough experience as an administrative assistant or in an office. I have 25 years experience. I asked her if she had the right resume. She was indignant. I hung up on her after she became abusive. Apple One had the nerve to send me a survey the next day asking how the interview went!

Two weeks later, Act One, also Apple One, called to ask me to come in and be put on the books. I drove 30 miles to that particular office. I went through the hour of videos and testing. I aced everything! I spoke to the recruiter. She said she would call me the next day after she spoke with my references. She had three jobs for me. I was elated and didn't sweat the long commute whatsoever. I was pretty Polly Anna considering she was interrupted consistently during my interview. I should have known better.

That was three months ago. Apple One continues to advertise, I continue to forward to my consultant and ask if I can be submitted. My references have not be contacted.

Employers need to just deal with direct recruiting. I cannot imagine that there are any quality staff members being submitted when the consultants do not even read the resumes they have on file.
I will agree with temp agencies picking from the same classifieds people looking for jobs are looking at.
I applied for a customer service position with a temp agency, only to find out it was with the same company that had a pretty visible ad in the Classifieds saying they were hiring.
Had I known they were going to put me with that company, I would have went to the company directly and applied. There was hardly any interviewing process with the temp agency. I know they already looked at my resume but I applied on a Sunday and received a call Monday asking when I can come in for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics