U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,514,212 times

Advertisements

I will say that before these past 6 months, I personally have never dealt with any sort of employment agency. This dealings I have had recently have just left a horrible taste in my mouth, but what can I do? They have jobs listed that I want.

So, here's my question... how many have ever had a temp position actually work out for the long haul?

The agencies I have dealt with over the past 2 weeks have been rude, crude, and overall, just poor customer service. I understand that they are working for their client, not their applicant, but is the rudeness necessary? I have been in contact with 4 different agencies in the NE Ohio area. I have interviewed with 2. The one I just called was absolutely the rudest I've spoken with yet - seems like they are only interested in getting you into their 'data bank' but not actually placing you with a job, or even giving you information on the job for that matter. I had a similar experience with agencies in Mid-Michigan about 5 months ago. Once everything is said and done, they don't really care if they send you out to the prospective interview or if you make it past that interview in the selection process. One I dealt with in Michigan didn't even bother to return my phone calls after my interview.

I can handle not making it past the selection process for the job. Truly, that is no skin off my back. But, I just spent anywhere from 2-3 hours of my time going through the application process ... and you have the nerve to be rude to me? I practically have the MS Word/Excel testing memorized because they all have the same format written by the same software company, and I know my qualifications are decent; many people have also reassured me of that. The one I just spoke with gave me guff because I want to interview but my soc card is packed up since we just moved, and I don't carry it on my person during my daily travels. She refuses to even let me interview until I can produce my soc card.... What the heck? I understand that the job offer would be contingent on my proof that I'm a US citizen, but we haven't even gotten to that part yet.

I remember a friend of mine worked for several months in a position that she was placed while registered with an agency. She went through several interviews with the actual company she was working for to get the position permanent, but they wouldn't hire her. They later hired another individual, after she had been at the job for 10 or so months, and her last week on the job was training her replacement. Her temp agency was of no help to her for even an explanation as to why she didn't get picked for a job she was doing.

Sorry for the vent, just very frustrated in the overall situation. Would love to hear input on temp / temp to hire agencies since I have such little experience with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM

7,870 posts, read 11,186,213 times
Not sure whether this will help or not, but I'll give it a shot...

What you posted caught my eye, as someone who is currently job hunting and going on interviews...Early on, after having posted my resume on monster, I received a phone call from a temp agency wanting me to come in so they could "better help me" in my job search. I was very specific in saying that I was not interested in temporary employment. They were very quick to tell me how they placed people in my profession in jobs for three month periods, after which the agency/company would hire me.

After getting this phone call, I emailed the corporate HQ asking for a general idea of the breakdown of demographics: how many people just got temp jobs, how many were retained/hired after a term of temporary employment. Never heard back. Attempted to phone the place in order to ask the same thing, and had a miserable time trying to get anyone to even return my call.
I blew them off.

They phoned me, AGAIN, yesterday...I again told them I wasn't interested in meeting with them. I get very suspicious of any place that is giving me vague answers, or different individuals giving contradictory answers, or just plain lying to me...I've been better off looking for a job on my own...

Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,277,827 times
I have had both good and not so good experiences with agencies. I have also worked in the office of an agency.

Rudeness comes from making just over minimum wage while dealing with people who tell you they will take ANYTHING, but when you call to offer them something will tell you that is not what they are looking for. It comes from being griped at by the client because the worker was a no show or walked off after an hour.

I was permanently placed in a job that I loved by an agency. I have also jumped through all of the hoops, including calling THEM every morning to let them know I was still available just so that they could never send me on an interview.

I think it all comes down to the individual people at the location you are dealing with.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM

5,656 posts, read 17,978,593 times
Yes, I have dealt with many of these over the years. Some are plain old uncommunicative at all once you have taken their 2-3 hour evaluations.

And some are great. The local (non-national) chain gives me the best service and I have gotten 2 permanent positions through them in the past. They are great.

However, I went to one position with a national chain (unnamed) and they sent me to some position where I was not qualified to do much of that type of work, even though I did think I did a great job of what was asked, and the employer "blackballed" me. Once they do this though, you cannot be sent to any more positions through this temp agency. so basically the temp agency set me up, because they did not have any other qualified people available at the time. I was NOT pleased and let their corporate know.
There are good ones and terrible ones that is for sure. Make sure you are getting an industry-specific agency, that helps.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM

3,099 posts, read 8,574,738 times
I have worked with one in the past...long past, about 9 years ago now. I was pleased with my experience. I was NOT looking for full time work tho but as a temp, I had the best support. Both were with a national chain. If you would like to know which one I worked with, PM me. Liz

Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM

434 posts, read 1,636,608 times
I worked for one years ago and was very pleased. I got a job at one of those companies where you have to "know someone" as a clerical assistant but that was my foot in the door. It only took me three months to get into their management training program and I worked for the company for almost 7 years. None of that would have happened without the temp agency and they really listened to what I was interested in. In all honesty I was just going to make a little cash until I found a "real" job. Just goes to show occasionally you "step in" something good!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:53 PM

453 posts, read 2,000,968 times
personally, i wouldn't want to work for a company that goes through a recruiting agency. if they truly cared about find the "right person," they would do the recruiting and interviewing themselves.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,494,029 times
My husband got work for quite a while through a temp agency and was very satisfied with them. However I think it's best to find work yourself unless you are really having a hard time doing so.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM

5,656 posts, read 17,978,593 times
mrdude: many places now go through temp agencies because their staff is cut so thin they don't have time to interview. It is a fact of life in employing people now.

AND I would rather go in as a temp - it gives YOU the chance to check out the workplaces before you hire on.

I temped at one place where they offered me a position - NO way would I work there - I was fielding "where's my check" calls the entire time I temped there. obviously this company was not solvent.

So it is a win-win situation.

PLUS, I am the type of person who does not come off well in interviews. But once I can get my foot in the door I am an excellent worker and they see that.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,322,876 times
I always worked grocery type jobs....clerk employed by actual grocer and outside merchandiser for soda company.

My friend gave me a # for a temp that found her this great job she loves. I go in...get 45 wpm, score decent on computer programs and have an excellent resume. Her company was hiring and had my resume and loved it. They wanted me...problem was I was at the temp agency already. So technically I could have cut out the middle man and went straight to the job and they would have sent me to the temp....saving them money and making me more money per hour. OOPS
Anyways...3 months went by like that and I have been perm for a good 6 months now.

I went to 2 other temp agencies and they were all the same...take the tests and ask you about the job you want...No real problem there.
The problem is within the company you get sent to. Some just have a high turnover rate because they dont want any perm. employees. You just gotta go for it and do your best and hope for the best.
My company has kept 4/5 of us within the past year in our offices...with the exception of one really lazy guy who was late everyday and got NOTHING accomplished.
Im very impressed with the one I actually went through. I love this type of work in an office compared to customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics