Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

I was at the mall today, which is October 28th, 2010, and all the stores were putting up their Christmas decorations. In one of the stores, they were blasting Brenda Lee's - "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." Belk was the worst as their halls were already completely decked. I don't know about anybody else, but its kind of annoying seeing Christmas everywhere when it isn't even Halloween yet, the leaves have barely started changing, and its still been getting up to 90 degrees F in the afternoons. I know the point is to get people in the mood to buy early, but does it really benefit retailers? Is the actual data that shows that stores that put up their Christmas decorations in mid-October do better than ones that wait until late November? From my perspective, it seems that the annoyance of having Christmas in October would more likely cause people to spend less time in the stores until the holiday gets closer, and people are going to spend what they are going to spend regardless of when the decorations go up. All thats really happening is Christmas is being so overdone that its actually a relief when the holiday is over.

Seriously, is a three-month long holiday season benefiting anybody? If not, we should seriously go back to the holidays running from Thanksgiving to Christmas instead of Columbus Day to Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
They started Halloween in August in some stores near me. And now Christmas.
What happened to Thanksgiving ? Oh..I guess that one isn't a money maker.

They must be generating money else why would they do this year after year.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I love Christmas. Favorite time of the year no doubt.

But I don't want to hear about it in October or September. Don't even really want to hear about it in early November.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They started Halloween in August in some stores near me. And now Christmas.
What happened to Thanksgiving ? Oh..I guess that one isn't a money maker.
They must be generating money else why would they do this year after year.
This is where the cutthroating, over-consumption Economy has led us. The over-consumption Economy started out as being a lucrative, progressive journey for most everyone. Now you need over-consumption just to stay afloat.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
At least they're starting the Black Friday sales early. I can get behind that.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
At least they're starting the Black Friday sales early. I can get behind that.
LOL..is today the new "black friday" instead of the one Friday after Thanksgiving ?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Basically Christmas sales are a huge part of retailers sales in a year.This has been true for decades tho.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I think it is pathetic and sad. And yes, most people are annoyed by it. The store chains are that desperate.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 PM

345 posts, read 994,409 times
I haven't seen numbers on whether attempts to get shoppers to buy early works. It could be large retailers start early and smaller ones feel the need to match the behavior.

I don't think about Christmas shopping or decoration until the second week of December. The season is way too commercial. I hoped people would learn to buy less since so many are in serious debt. Guess some people cannot stop themselves and must spend compulsively.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Part of it I understand.

I have a buddy that operates a lighting company...he mainly does highway (Interstate and street) lighting, parking lot lighting, and sports stadium lighting. But he also does Christmas lighting at shopping malls...both the mall itself and individual stores, inside and out.

He operates in 3 or 4 States and that's a LOT of Christmas lights/decorations to put up. With only about 300 employees and a couple hundred trucks...they have to start early.

That said, there ought to be a law...even though the lights are up, don't throw the switch until the day after Thanksgiving! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics